+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Sabrina Bryan & Louis Van Amstel - All-Stars

FORT Fogey

Re: Sabrina Bryan & Louis Van Amstel - All-Stars

I also really like Louis, but I never cared for Sabrina all that much. Yes, she's talented, but I think the problem now is that the show has made such a big deal out of her early ouster when pretty much every season someone with less talent sticks around longer than he/she should and someone more talented goes out earlier than he/she should. It's basically the nature of the show, so I don't see why it's portrayed as so much more tragic that she didn't make it to the finals.

But I guess if she finally wins, at least Louis will finally win too.
    karalott and SmittenKitten like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I also really like Louis, but I never cared for Sabrina all that much. Yes, she's talented, but I think the problem now is that the show has made such a big deal out of her early ouster when pretty much every season someone with less talent sticks around longer than he/she should and someone more talented goes out earlier than he/she should. It's basically the nature of the show, so I don't see why it's portrayed as so much more tragic that she didn't make it to the finals.

But I guess if she finally wins, at least Louis will finally win too.
    And hopefully the show finally shuts about her elimination. Even in season 5, Marie Osmond making it to the finals over nearly everyone was shocking. So was Helio beating Mel B. The male model Anna was partnered with (who went out 2nd), was probably one of the better dancers that season, especially on the mens side. If it was about dancing ability, he certainly should have stuck around. I remember really liking him, too.
    Florimel likes this.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I remember Sabrina's season - she was paired with Mark Ballas (before he became such a jerk). She was really good and I was very surprised when she was booted. I remember that she & Mark were an "item" for a while afterwards, too. I'm glad she's back, she deserves a second shot.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    And hopefully the show finally shuts about her elimination. Even in season 5, Marie Osmond making it to the finals over nearly everyone was shocking. So was Helio beating Mel B. The male model Anna was partnered with (who went out 2nd), was probably one of the better dancers that season, especially on the mens side. If it was about dancing ability, he certainly should have stuck around. I remember really liking him, too.
    Then there was Cloris Leachman's season....I believe Apolo won that season, and I know she didn't make it to the finals, but she was on much longer than she should have been. Same with Kate in her season. Or Bristol in hers, for that matter. It's going to happen almost every season, which is why I don't understand why it's always been Sabrina who's been the one the show keeps harping about, unless it's because she's a Disney star and DWTS is an ABC property.

I remember the male model guy too, though I can't remember his name either. He really didn't deserve to go out first.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    I remember Sabrina's season - she was paired with Mark Ballas (before he became such a jerk). She was really good and I was very surprised when she was booted. I remember that she & Mark were an "item" for a while afterwards, too. I'm glad she's back, she deserves a second shot.
    Seeing her clips, I think she does yes. I don't know who her fans are, but I am willing to vote for her if she is good. I like to vote for the best dancer, not the pro, because then good dancers go home. I hope Louis can push forward, perhaps he needs someone like Sabrina.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Then there was Cloris Leachman's season....I believe Apolo won that season, and I know she didn't make it to the finals, but she was on much longer than she should have been. Same with Kate in her season. Or Bristol in hers, for that matter. It's going to happen almost every season, which is why I don't understand why it's always been Sabrina who's been the one the show keeps harping about, unless it's because she's a Disney star and DWTS is an ABC property.

I remember the male model guy too, though I can't remember his name either. He really didn't deserve to go out first.
    What's worse is that the judges don't help, but then pretend to be all offended and can't believe better dancers are going home-when they're nitpicking those better dancers, but totally overlooking the fact that people like Cloris, Bristol, and Kate couldn't dance for squat. Kate never should have received anything above a 1 for those pitiful performances (especially that god awful jive-I think she got 5s for it), and I would never have given Bristol anything above a 7 in her season. Then they try and cry about better dancers going home So hopefully the judges will give adequate scores this season, and deserved criticism. I don't think it helps when they start out by giving undeserved scores and praise, and then when the celebs scores don't start improving, they get all huffy.

I just think there's been plenty of shocking eliminations and outcomes, so I don't know why Sabrina is always touted and paraded as being the be all that ends of all of being unfairly booted. At any rate, she's here, at least she has Louis, so I can somewhat tolerate her, but I hope it isn't a tongue bath every week and that she winds up being handed the win because of TPTB.
    Florimel likes this.

So it hasn't been too bad just yet with Sabrina, although she can still go and I wouldn't miss her. Something about her and Louis seems disconnected, but I feel that way about all the partnerships. Louis has never had a partner at Sabrina's level, although I think Monique Coleman back in season 3 was the best he had up until this point. I feel like he knows it is a challenge with Sabrina, despite the fact she's a ringer. But I remember the overdancing she did her original season, and Len calling out a few of her performances for being too hip hop in the movements. So between her "shocking elimination", not being a regular pro anymore, having a good shot at the finals (I still don't think she'll win), and her dancing style, I can see where Louis may be overwhelmed to get it right and not have her go out early, again.

I do enjoy the fact that Sabrina seems so happy to be back. I've heard enough about her previous boot to last a lifetime, but I think Louis is a good choice to reign her in and do the proper routines with the right technique-and still make it look fun. I didn't really enjoy their quickstep and wouldn't have given it the highest score of the night. The song was horrible for the dance, so I think that was one reason I couldn't enjoy it. Since Len was all about praising their technique and saying that was a text book perfect quickstep, this is why I wish we had dance demonstrations. I like to be entertained, too, and I didn't find it fun at all.

Watching the recap show this week, I realized that I did really like Sabrina her original season; her paso was amazing and I'm glad that's the dance she decided to reflect on. Mark looked so much better and was a lot more tolerable then, too.

FORT Fogey

karalott said, "Since Len was all about praising their technique and saying that was a text book perfect quickstep, this is why I wish we had dance demonstrations. I like to be entertained, too, and I didn't find it fun at all."

It seems evident to me that Len is impressed much more by correct technique and whether a dance is a "proper" dance than by whether it is entertaining. If the dance is "proper" and the technique is correct, Len will award a high score like he did the other night with Louis and Sabrina. If the dance is entertaining in addition to the other two elements, he raves and scores the dance very high.
    Sabina's dance was nicely executed but not necessarily flashy or overly entertaining.

Now, on the other hand, Gilles' dance had all three elements. I was surprised that Len did not judge Gilles a little higher based on Len's past judging when all three elements were obviously evident; the only reason that I can think of is that it is still very early in the season to be scoring too highly, and frankly all in all I applaud that, too. I like it when the judges work their way up the judging scale a little more slowly rather than jumping on the high scores right off the bat.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm so sad to see Louis go, but not that sad to see Sabrina leave. She over danced everything with that big @ss smile on her face. I just couldn't connect with her even though Louis had some great choreography
    Florimel and norealityhere like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I'm so sad to see Louis go, but not that sad to see Sabrina leave. She over danced everything with that big @ss smile on her face. I just couldn't connect with her even though Louis had some great choreography
    IM SORRY BUT I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!! Sabrina was a better dancer than half the people still left in the competition!!! I think she dances better than Kirstie Melissa and Apollo!! And the fact that she got out proves once again that this show is a popularity contest. But ill continue to watch it cause i love to dance. Very sorry to see Sabrina go out in 8th place she was much better than that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast