+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - All-Stars

Re: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - All-Stars

Tony and Melissa are a compelling couple. Tony seems convinced that he let her down last time and is pushing to do better. She seems more mature this time. Tony has never smiled so much as he does with Melissa, which is good since she has that super bright smile to match. I would be happy to see them win but my guess is that they will finish around 4th.

For me the question is whether she can beat Gilles and Shaun this time. Gilles is less impressive this season, I think because he had better chemistry with Cheryl, so I think Melissa can beat him. Shaun is more impressive with Derek than she was with Mark so I don't think Melissa can beat Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    Tony and Melissa are a compelling couple. Tony seems convinced that he let her down last time and is pushing to do better. She seems more mature this time. Tony has never smiled so much as he does with Melissa, which is good since she has that super bright smile to match. I would be happy to see them win but my guess is that they will finish around 4th.

For me the question is whether she can beat Gilles and Shaun this time. Gilles is less impressive this season, I think because he had better chemistry with Cheryl, so I think Melissa can beat him. Shaun is more impressive with Derek than she was with Mark so I don't think Melissa can beat Shaun.
    Gilles grates on my nerves this season. His partnership with Peta may be "hot" for some, but for me, two chills don't make a warm breeze... I hope Melissa beats Gilles, and when it comes down to her and Shawn.. Shawn may be more impressive with rule-breaking Derek, but she's already won before and Derek has multiple trophies. If it came down to those two, I would imagine a lot of people would want a victor who's never won before. Add that to the fact that Tony's her partner and a lot of people want to see him finally take home a trophy, and it's an open field.
    Nice'n'Easy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I think last time Gilles just shocked so many people to come out of no where and he had a great personality. This season, he is one of a bunch of people that have a great personality. And yes, he is a good dancer, but we know that now. So are many of the others.

Shawn on the other hand was really not visible the last time. Part of that was because she was underage and not comfortable with a lot of dances. She seems a lot more comfortable this time around, and it is showing in her dancing.

As much as I enjoy Melissa and Tony, and wouldn't mind at all if they won, I just don't think it will happen. Melissa (and Tony, for that matter) doesn't have a large enough fan base to give them the proper oompf for the victory. It's sad but true. DWTS has been on long enough for the pros to have their own set of fans who will vote for them...no matter who their partner happens to be or if they dance with two left feet.

That said, if it ever came down to Melissa against Emmit or Gilles I'd vote for Melissa without a doubt. She's a far better dancer than either of them.
    Tobi and Need40winks like this.

When I wonder about her fan base, I remember that she an Joey Fatone were voted by the fans for the Design A Dance showcase a few years back. They had a week to learn a Paso before dancing it during a results show. The fans could have voted for Sabrina, or Kelly or any other female, but they chose Melissa. So that gives me heart that she (as well as Tony) do have a fan base.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    When I wonder about her fan base, I remember that she an Joey Fatone were voted by the fans for the Design A Dance showcase a few years back. They had a week to learn a Paso before dancing it during a results show. The fans could have voted for Sabrina, or Kelly or any other female, but they chose Melissa. So that gives me heart that she (as well as Tony) do have a fan base.
    I also believe it's possible for them to pick up more fans along the way, both due to how great their partnership is, and how well they dance. Many are drawn to positivity and joy, and that's all Tony & Melissa have projected so far, imo. Stars/pros have gained fans during a season before, and even though this is an all-star season, it's not impossible.

Their dance this week reminded me too much of their freestyle from their previous finals. That dance was too much about lifts and too little about dancing and gave her no chance to win that season. This recent dance was much better but had the same feel to it, so I'm worried whether Tony can really choreograph a routine to compete with Derek or Cheryl and the others. I'm also concerned that the brother / sister chemistry is great for these fast dances but detracts from the romantic dances.

We have yet to see them do a slow dance. They'll probably get slammed with them from this week on. I wonder if Melissa can find the "attitude" for the upcoming intense dances.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The only reason I'm glad Melissa is back has to do with how energized and happy Tony is.

Like Edyta (Dear, DEAR Edyta!) and Maks, with one or two exceptions (perhaps), Tony has pretty much always gotten the short end of the stick as far as viable partners go.

I agree with previous posters who've noted the lifts, etc., and the brother/sister vibe. Frankly, I like lifts, etc., as much as the next person. BUT SAVE IT FOR THE FREESTYLE, PLEASE! We KNOW Melissa was a Dallas cheerleader; we DON'T need to see it every week.

Which --- Thank GOD! --- we WON'T, when they get to the slower dances. But, I think the strong brother/sister vibe/look they've got is NOT going to help or do them any favors when they start in on those. Frankly, I don't think either of them is that good an actor to be able to pull that off.

Will they dance those well? Yes, of COURSE they will.

But for me, at least, perfect or near-perfect dancing ain't all there is. It IS possible to go overboard and overplay a fake romantic connection. However, I think you might have difficulty if nothing of that sort is even there to begin with, and you can't fake it 'til ya make it, either.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Melissa Rycroft Injured While Rehearsing for Dancing with the Stars

Former Bachelor star Melissa Rycroft was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital Sunday afternoon after suffering a head and neck injury during rehearsals for Monday's Dancing with the Stars episode.

"Melissa was taken by ambulance to a local hospital where she is currently being examined," Rycroft's rep tells PEOPLE. "She was accompanied to the hospital by her husband, Tye Strickland, and her dance partner, Tony Dovolani. Everyone is taking all necessary precautions at this time."

Rycroft fell while doing camera blocking for Monday's group number at CBS studios.

She is one of eight remaining celebrities competing on the all-stars edition of the ballroom dance competition.

There is no word on whether Rycroft will be able to compete on Monday, when the couples are expected to dance twice, performing an individual routine and a team freestyle routine.
    Dancing with the Stars: Melissa Rycroft Injured at Rehearsals : People.com
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

+ Reply to Thread