Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - All-Stars

Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - All-Stars

Emmitt Smith
    DWTS All-Star

Pro: Cheryl Burke

#TeamEmmitt

We always knew Emmitt Smith could do a touchdown dance, but he proved he has so many other moves when it comes time to step into the ballroom.

A respected entrepreneur, sought-after speaker, bestselling author, and dancing’s “king of effortless cool”, Emmitt first rose to prominence via an illustrious football career, most notably winning three Super Bowl championships as a member of the Dallas Cowboys. Emmitt retains the honor of being the only player to have won a Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP and NFL Rushing Crown in the same season.

Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2010, Emmitt is the NFL’s all-time leading rusher, having amassed 18,355 yards during his 15 seasons. Emmitt’s charm and charisma quickly translated off-the-field to the entertainment world following his retirement.

In 2006, Emmitt, along with dance partner Cheryl Burke, was crowned winner of the hit ABC reality show Dancing with the Stars. Now gearing up for the 2012 All-Star season, Emmitt is preparing hit the dance floor with energy and excitement once again.

As well known for his character and integrity as he is for his athletic ability, Smith continues to give back to the community and support higher education via Pat & Emmitt Smith Charities, an organization that annually awards college scholarships and provides enrichment opportunities to underserved youth. Most recently, Emmitt authored the 2011 book, Game On: Find Your Purpose — Pursue Your Dreams, which chronicles his story from humble beginnings growing up in Pensacola, Florida to his rise in the business world.

Emmitt is currently President & CEO of Emmitt Smith Enterprises, Inc., which includes Pat & Emmitt Smith Charities, the marketing and management of the Emmitt Smith brand, and the company’s two core businesses, EJ Smith Construction and E Smith Legacy, a real estate company. Emmitt is a graduate of the University of Florida with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Recreation. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. He is happily married and the proud father of five children.

Emmitt Smith Bio/Media Page - ABC.com
    chrisg likes this.

Re: Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - All-Stars

Oh how I've missed that smile!
    karalott and chrisg like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    Oh how I've missed that smile!
    Me too! I think Emmitt is very underrated. Football players have always done well, at least making it half way (if not the finals). Even though it's an AS season, I still expect Emmitt to have the fan support to make it far. Doesn't hurt he's got moves and a charming personality on top of it! I don't know if he'll make it to the finals again, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Barring a shocking exit or a really horrible week, I think he's at least good for the final 4/5.

And while I'm not a huge Cheryl fan, I'm glad she got Emmitt instead of Gilles. I think this will re-ignite her fun choreography side, versus having her partner stand there in the middle of the floor with his shirt open while she dances around him.
    chrisg and jucamer like this.

I just watched the show on my DVR and Emmitt totally turned around a long and pretty brutally annoying day for me so I just have to gush over him for a bit : I love you, Em! I loved you in those questionable green shoes I just saw you wearing and I even loved you in that cheesy MC Hammer outfit from the last DWTS finals you were in -- although I will probably never fully get over that one . And, I would honestly watch you just read the phone book, Em, because you are that crazy cool and you would throw your heart into it with that same gazillion-Emmitt-percent just like everything else you take on in life. Some people just have that kind of internal spark that has the ability to spark something positive in other people, and -- for me, Em -- one of those people has always been you.
    karalott and jucamer like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Emmitt was the perfect ending to a great premiere. That cha cha was worth the wait. I hope it gets the encore tomorrow. I think it's tough to say if it was the best of the night, but definitely my favorite cha cha overall. I would have tied him and Gilles with the scoring, but I can't say I didn't agree with the judges on giving him an extra half point. He's so much fun to watch and brought back what I loved about him during season 3. I totally remember his Hammer freestyle and the pants-honestly, I think it was one of Cheryl's better attempts in that round What I love about contestants like Emmitt is they just don't stress. They take the show for what it is, and just have fun with it, and don't worry about the small things.
    chrisg and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm so annoyed with ABC here in PA. When they came back from commercial, Emmitt was standing in front of the judges getting his critique. We didn't get to see him dance
    I'm here likes this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

How can anyone not love Emmitt? I was so pleased to see that he still can dance. Cheryl is a perfect partner to bring him along as she did before.
    combatcutie, chrisg and jucamer like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Newbie

I like Emmitt. He seems like a great guy.
    And his dancing was good.
    But I don't agree his dance was the best of the night.
    Also, he doesn't light up the stage for me.
    His body seems a little stiff

And I don't think his choreography
    was as challenging as some of the others.

But, just as in the season he won, the judges seem to favor him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia97 View Post
    I like Emmitt. He seems like a great guy.
    And his dancing was good.
    But I don't agree his dance was the best of the night.
    Also, he doesn't light up the stage for me.
    His body seems a little stiff

And I don't think his choreography
    was as challenging as some of the others.

But, just as in the season he won, the judges seem to favor him.
    Best is a pretty subjective term and it seems Len felt that way and expressed it, but I don’t see that as necessarily being indicative as a widely held consensus by a lot of people, including all of the judges, since Emmitt’s total score exceeded Gilles’ by a sketchy half a point . What I do think Emmitt strongly seems to do for a lot of people, including all of the judges, though, is to precisely light up the stage -- despite probably not being the most overall technically gifted dancer -- and I think that scenario falls right into the wheelhouse of what many people think DWTS should ideally be about.

I definitely get that your mileage appears to vary about Emmitt having charisma as a dancer –- and that is totally cool, agree to disagree -- but I do think that since this is the All Stars it can be fairly objectively stated that appreciation for Emmitt’s perceived level of charisma on the dance floor does have a pretty long history that precedes it with the judges and viewers since it is something regularly heralded about him. And I do think that charisma, in general, is a legit reason to highly value DWTS performers, provided that their dancing is also solid and strong, because I do not see how charisma can be eliminated from the idea of a net worth of an entertainment performance, especially on a show that is much more of an entertainment show than a professional dance competition.

As to a specific choreography assessment, I can’t claim to have any expertise at all in that area , but I saw what I thought was an impressive amount of footwork in Emmitt’s Cha Cha that was executed crisply and cleanly, though definitely not perfectly, and I think that amount of rapid footwork put it at about an equal level with most of the other dances and was strongly more complex than some.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I'm so annoyed with ABC here in PA. When they came back from commercial, Emmitt was standing in front of the judges getting his critique. We didn't get to see him dance
    I'm with you on that. He's my pick to win... and want to see it all.

PS... I'm loving your avatar!! *fans self*
    combatcutie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast