+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - All-Stars

FORT Fogey

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - All-Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    She is only 21 and got poor advice from 'her people' to do this again. She would benefit from being out of the media for awhile and emerge, down the line, a grown woman with some accomplishments under her belt.

It should come as no surprise to her that she is experiencing the same backlash this year. And that is about her mother's politics. My heart goes out to her, she is just a kid. Her mother is an entirely different story! No sympathy there from me.

Separating her image from her mother is crucial. Join the young democrats, work for PETA, anything.
    I'm not sure that it's entirely her mother's politics that are causing the backlash this season. Nor am I sure it was entirely that last season. At first it probably was, but after she lasted long enough for viewers to be exposed to her dancing and her own attitude toward those who questioned her dancing ability, I'm sure at least some viewers started disliking her just for those two things, and it wouldn't have mattered if someone else entirely was her mother.

As for the possibility of certain groups bloc group voting for her, whether it's her mother's supporters or vote for the worst fans, I don't hold her responsible for that. I've always disliked it when DWTS casts people they know come into the contest with a strong voting bloc already in place (the Osmonds, for instance, though better dancers than Bristol, both came in with strong voting blocs their seasons as opposed to some people who weren't very well known by a lot of viewers and had to make it on the basis of their own talents) or people who have had enough previous dance training to make it difficult for the rest of the cast to compete with them. Maybe DWTS doesn't know that to begin with, but by an all-star season, they do, so DWTS knew what might very well happen when they cast Bristol. So, I hold DWTS partially responsible for that, just as I hold those who vote without even watching or have decided to vote for someone they think is bad just to see how much they can control the show's outcome partially responsible for it. On the other hand, Bristol certainly knew in advance what was likely to happen too and publicly said that she did. So she can't really complain now when people don't like what's happening and get upset with having to watch her, instead of dancers they prefer, advance further into the competition.

Personally, I find it hard to feel too sorry for someone who knows going into DWTS that she's going to be an obvious target of criticism and decides to do it anyway, no matter how young she is. At this point, she needs to recognize that she's not really competitive with the rest of the cast in terms of her dancing and just try to enjoy herself and be as gracious as she can about the backlash she admitted she knew she was going to deal with this time too, because it's what comes with a job she decided to take. Certainly there have been dancers on the show before that haven't been that talented--like Carson Kressley--who were more popular because they didn't expect that the fact that they tried hard or improved was enough to qualify them for the finals. There were likely viewers who didn't much care for Kressley being openly gay either, but he never made that an issue but just did the best he could and was enthusiastic about being on the show despite his difficulty learning the dances. This season, I suspect that Maks and Kristie don't really think they're locks for the finals, but they seem to be enjoying their time on the show anyway. And there have also been dancers who weren't very good at first but tried hard and improved more than Bristol did her first season and were gracious about their deficiencies and honestly did try to do the dance the way it's supposed to be done anyway. I'd say Ty Murray falls into that category, and I believe he actually went out one week before the final three and was perfectly fine with that. Murray never made a big deal out of the fact that he has had enough joint replacements and broken bones to make him less naturally limber than might be best for a dancer or that he had no performance experience either.

Bristol's seeming inability to understand that the other contestants on the show this season are largely much better dancers/performers than she is and the fact that she doesn't seem to be having much fun being there is enough, I think, for people to want her gone for what she's done as opposed to anything her mother's done. Her insistence on viewing this season the same way she viewed her original season--where she also outlasted some better dances--when she felt that the fact that she was improving made people root for her because she was the underdog also just doesn't make sense to some, including me. In an all-star season, there really shouldn't be any true underdogs. They should all be there because they were among the best the first ten seasons (or whatever it's been) had to offer. Last week, for instance, there was some really great dancing from the contestants, and even though it was Bristol's best dance thus far, she still wasn't anywhere near as good as those who scored higher than she did. The fact that she still didn't go home and two past champions did, bothers some viewers just on the basis of the dancing, period.
    BTW and jucamer like this.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

You all keep mentioning the "dead horse" known as Bristol bashing. Please re-read the dead horse rule stickied near the top of the page.

We can review her and Mark's dancing or lack, thereof, and bemoan the fact that, once again, she is backed by non-viewing voters, but there really is nothing else to say. Venting is a marvelous outlet, but please don't let it hijack the thread once you've made your opinion about her most recent dance exposure known.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Sorry, didn't see Arielflies post. I deleted my comment. Carry on!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    You all keep mentioning the "dead horse" known as Bristol bashing. Please re-read the dead horse rule stickied near the top of the page.

We can review her and Mark's dancing or lack, thereof, and bemoan the fact that, once again, she is backed by non-viewing voters, but there really is nothing else to say. Venting is a marvelous outlet, but please don't let it hijack the thread once you've made your opinion about her most recent dance exposure known.
    The dead horse post is not really clear. I assumed that you meant the same person posting and reposting the same types of comments. Suppose 104 different people feel the same way. Are we all not to post a comment since it was already made once by someone else. I am pretty sure that was not your intent.
    Florimel likes this.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

As long as 104 people post once about their views and not three or multiple times, fine. It is when people keep re-stating their position over and over again that it becomes beating a dead horse. Also replying to posts that are re-stating that position, whether you agree or not, prolongs the conversation until, once again, the thread has been hijacked.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

IIRC isn't Shawn younger than Bristol? Anyhoo...personally I don't care about the who/what/when of politics. I watch for the dancing & the hot guys...well mainly the hot guys.
    Hey if Bristol can get up there & attempt to dance...I congratulate her...not that I voted for her then again I seldom vote.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

Shawn is 20 and Bristol is 21, so yeah, Shawn is younger but not by a lot.

I keep thinking Bristol is older than Shawn by more than that, but maybe that's because Shawn has that little, compact gymnast's body that makes her appear younger than she is (at least to me).

Hadn't thought of this before, but they both would have become widely recognized figures at about the same age, wouldn't they have? Shawn was an Olympic gold medalist at 16 and Bristol was about that age when her mother was nominated for vice president and her teen pregnancy became public knowledge nation wide. I'm sure if her mom hadn't been in that position, Bristol's pregnancy wouldn't have been of any interest to the national media, though maybe it would have been in the news in Alaska, since her mom was governor there.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Mark was his usual annoying over-dancing self. What a jerk!! They intentionally dumbed down the dance and got high scores??!!! Ugh, she NEEDS to go
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Allllllllll 8's? For just knowing the dance steps???? Man... if they would put some hard moves in a dance... can you imagine what the judges would give Bristol?

It didn't seem to be a hard dance... but she dance it well.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Mark was his usual annoying over-dancing self. What a jerk!! They intentionally dumbed down the dance and got high scores??!!! Ugh, she NEEDS to go
    What was Mark supposed to do? Just walk through the dance like she did? I agree that he over-dances sometimes, but in this case, I think he is trying to make it look like they are actually doing something. He'd have to go into a coma to stay at Bristol's pace!

Also, he did say he was unhappy with her asking him to choreograph the dance easier, rather than pushing at all. He didn't want to dumb down the dance. It's the judges who overscored them, which is a shame because she was rewarded for doing less so she will continue to ask him for easier routines. If they had lower scores, Mark could have told her that it was because the dance was so simple, and that she would need to try harder. But, the judges screwed that up. This is actually a tough situation for Mark!
    Florimel and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread