+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Have you seen real ballroom competitions on PBS? The women dress even skimpier than they do on DWTS. It seems sexist in this ultra-PC world today, but it's just a part of contemporary traditional ballroom. The men lead the dance, and the women dress as slinky as possible.
    Thank you, MFWalkoff. I was starting to think I was the only one who was aware of the costuming in real, professional ballroom costuming. It's been that way for decades, particularly on the Latin side.
    karalott and ness like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I remember Edyta joking about that. She made comment that what she wore on DWTS was modest compared to what the female pros wore in real competitions. And that men wearing shirts with the buttons undone was very common as well. I don't really have a problem with the skimpy attire, I just have an issue when the pros and celebs are dressed in outfits that are unflattering to them. Whether it be their figure or the color of the outfit or just the overall design.

RE: rotating the pros. Part of me thinks this is where the show got it wrong when they kept the same pros season after season after season. Wasn't it last season that the NY Post had an article about how the pros have become the main attraction and are often the bigger, more recognizable names on the show than the celebs they cast? Since DWTS is on twice a year, and I don't know if that's average for the international versions (many that I've run across are once a year), they should have divided the pros up and had one group for one season, another for the next, and added new pros in the mix each time. With tonight's experiment with the trio (and according to Cheryl, the 2nd pro dancer doesn't have to be involved in that dance for the whole thing; it has to be 20% of the time she said at least, and after that I guess it's the couple's call), it got me thinking about switching up pros every week, and when they get to the two dances, have two different pros work with the celeb. It might just be interesting to see what two different pros can bring out of the same celeb in the same week, even if the dance styles are different. And I'm just ready to see what Derek can do with a real Martina/Gladys/Kate challenge. Not so much anymore that I think he's past due to get one, but I really am curious how he'd handle it and what his routines would look like.

My problem with rotating the pros is this: It takes years for a professional couple to become even moderately competitive. I highly doubt that an amateur could improve anywhere near as much as many of them do if they had a different pro partner each week. I think it could knock out more of the good dancers than it could protect.

As an aside, I was watching Mike and Mike in the morning as I usually do. They have a bracket bet each college basketball season and the loser has to do something embarrassing and/or uncomfortable. Mike Golic lost last year and had to have his legs waxed. Ouch!

Mike Greenberg lost this year and had to do a DWTS routing with Anna Trebunskaya. The 3 judges were Hines Ward, Jerry Rice, and Mike's wife. They had only four hours rehearsal yesterday and all in all, it was pretty good. I think he'd make a good contestant for real, but in any case, I found it highly entertaining.
    Last edited by Florimel; 05-08-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    karalott likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    My problem with rotating the pros is this: It takes years for a professional couple to become even moderately competitive. I highly doubt that an amateur could improve anywhere near as much as many of them do if they had a different pro partner each week. I think it could knock out more of the good dancers than it could protect.
    Yes, I agree 100% .I don't know whose idea it is to rotate them - but its not workable
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't think that rotating pros among the contestants in a single season is a workable solution. I would buy into rotating pros through the judges chairs from season to season. I would keep Len (he is the only judge that knows what he is talking about) and fill the other two seats with pros. Maybe the top male and female pro from the previous season would be the appropriate candidates.
    karalott, Florimel, ness and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I don't think that rotating pros among the contestants in a single season is a workable solution. I would buy into rotating pros through the judges chairs from season to season. I would keep Len (he is the only judge that knows what he is talking about) and fill the other two seats with pros. Maybe the top male and female pro from the previous season would be the appropriate candidates.
    I think that would be great. CA and Bruno are just too much for me at times. I mute them.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

As an aside, I was watching Mike and Mike in the morning as I usually do. They have a bracket bet each college basketball season and the loser has to do something embarrassing and/or uncomfortable. Mike Golic lost last year and had to have his legs waxed. Ouch!

Mike Greenberg lost this year and had to do a DWTS routing with Anna Trebunskaya. The 3 judges were Hines Ward, Jerry Rice, and Mike's wife. They had only four hours rehearsal yesterday and all in all, it was pretty good. I think he'd make a good contestant for real, but in any case, I found it highly entertaining.
    I did, too. It was a treat to see what Anna could accomplish with four hours rehearsal and with judges, Jerry Rice and Hines Ward heard, but not seen, it was too funny.
    karalott likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I was disappointed Jerry didn't get any football digs in at Donald during Dance Center, as he usually does with the football players (and Kenny usually ribs him by calling whoever the football player is that season the best player in the history of the show and the most good looking). Mike Greenberg at one time was a big DWTS fan. We'll see if this translates into an appearance for him (and if Anna were to wind up as his partner).

In regards to rotating pros, I don't know that it would be a complete disaster. I think it'd be an interesting experiment and could benefit the celebs from getting different teaching styles and seeing different sides to them each week. Plus, I'm just curious about judges bias and whether it's all in my head since my pro doesn't seem to be adored by the stooges, so I'd like to see if they bow down to a particular celeb one week, but the following totally dismiss them, even if they did just as well. At the very least, everyone would get an equal chance. This whole trio experiment makes me wonder if they won't try that in the future, in a desperate move when the ratings are going more downhill and they need something to do to keep it fresh. One of the international versions (can't remember which), half way through their competition, were playing a semi-joke on their group fo celebs by telling them that they'd be switching partners the following week. They never got a chance to tell them it would only be a one week deal because the celebs got all upset and a few even threatened to quit the show because they had bonded with their partners and didn't want anyone else. That's more the avenue I could see our producers taking, not starting week 1 and letting everyone know in advance what was happening. So that would be a disaster.

I'd be fine with rotating judges, as long as they actually get people that'll be tough and judge, and not soft like the guest judges they'd have on when Len takes a week off here and there. And please, no former celebs, either. And while Brooke actually has gotten somewhat better and charismatic this season, I wouldn't mind rotating co-hosts, either. Maybe with the eliminated pros each week.

I don't know about rotating the pros weekly but I do think having a "twist" midway through the season to switch the pros would be intersting. It would make the comptetition more about the celebs instead of the pros.

I figured Melissa and Roshon was going. They don't have the fan vote. I really want a pro to win that hasn't won...that just leaves Peta and Donald. I am glad they survived as they were robbed in the scoring department.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about rotating pros. When I took ballroom dance lessons, I ended up having three different instructors over the course of four years. My first instructor, Gaspar, moved away so I had to get another instructor. The owner of the studio, Jim, was my next instructor. I liked him but he had a lot of students so availability for lessons was an issue. We got a new instructor, Tillman, and I really liked his style. He paid a lot of attention to detail, which was important to me, so I asked to be switched to him.

Each instructor had their own interpretation of doing the steps and a different emphasis on what was important. Gaspar was more of a fun instructor, Jim was more about teaching the basics of social dance, Tillman was more technical. I learned a lot overall from their different viewpoints but then I had years to learn. If I had all those varying instructions thrown at me in a matter of weeks, it might have been confusing.

As a viewer, I would prefer to see the stars rotate with the pros so that everyone has an equal chance. If a star is stuck with a pro they don't get along with or whose teaching style is incompatible with their learning style, it puts them at a disadvantage. I can understand why the stars would want to stick with one specific pro, though, so they can build a rapport with that person and not get conflicting advice about what they need to improve on.

+ Reply to Thread