+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/1 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

I rarely like the celebs, I like the pros. This show long ago stopped being about the celebs for me. It's about the pros and ones I want to see make it to the end.
    I may be odd man out here, but I guess we all look at the show differently. Just as you have said you watch the show for the pros and you have every right to watch it for what it means for you - I watch for the dancing. It may be because of my love of dancing and having danced for so many years. For me I always look at the celebs because they are the ones learning how to dance. The pros already know how to dance so I am not watching them. I am one of those that like to see progress in the celebs and also like to see the best dancer win at the end. I know that it does not always turn out that way. I do get annoyed when the best dancer does not win. When certain celebs advance because they have a bigger fan base it does not seem fair to me. I was a fan of Jaeel and still am of Roshon, Maria, Katherine, Donald, and William. I like Melissa very much as a person. I admire her and all these celebs who put in so much work. I just don't think at this point she is the best dancer of the ones I have mentioned. Of the dancers left I watch each week and decide how I think they have danced. I do not have a clear favorite yet as it may change. I think dancing wise Jaeel should still be there. That was based on this week and what I saw dancing wise. I also may have a different view than others to what I saw. I am no expert. I have nothing against any of these pros. They all work hard at teaching these celebs to dance.

I am going to always be disappointed when the best dancer does not win. I know it is suppose to be to vote for your favorite. The very fact that it is to vote for your favorite seems unfair to those that come in with huge fan bases and yet do not progress with their dancing ability. Maybe that concept is wrong. I personally think it should be all about the dancing and the ones who dance the best should be the winners at the end. I don't care who the pro is. They all know how to dance, choreograph, etc. Whichever pro is able to take the celeb to the end because of their dancing should be declared the winner. I know in the present structure of the show this is not going to happen. There are many influences that change that and I don't have a perfect answer. I don't know how they decide who gets who for a partner and I think these judges with the exception of Len let too many influences sway them. If they could have judges that truly know how to judge and perhaps give them more weight in the scoring that may help. With the way the show is designed now is the reason that I think we see so many disagreements. It may one of the reasons the popularity of the show is decreasing.

This is also the first time I have ever been on a site that covers reality shows. I have learned a lot that I was not even aware of before. I was merely a fan who loves dancing and watches any show that covers it. I was just a fan watching on my TV. My main point is that I think we all watch the show for different reasons. You watch for the pros and I watch for the celebs. Neither one of us is wrong - just how we view the show. JMO
    DancingDad, ilja and Midol like this.

Great post Jaceegirl. Very well said!

I watch for the dancing. It may be because of my love of dancing
    I do as well.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    But height plays a role. Someone really tall needs a partner about the same height.
    That statement is very true. I am tall and if I were to dance with a short man it would not look right. It works both ways a really tall man does not look good with a very short female. I do think that however they decide height is part of their equation. The rest of it I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I may be odd man out here, but I guess we all look at the show differently. Just as you have said you watch the show for the pros and you have every right to watch it for what it means for you - I watch for the dancing. It may be because of my love of dancing and having danced for so many years. For me I always look at the celebs because they are the ones learning how to dance. The pros already know how to dance so I am not watching them. I am one of those that like to see progress in the celebs and also like to see the best dancer win at the end. I know that it does not always turn out that way. I do get annoyed when the best dancer does not win. When certain celebs advance because they have a bigger fan base it does not seem fair to me. I was a fan of Jaeel and still am of Roshon, Maria, Katherine, Donald, and William. I like Melissa very much as a person. I admire her and all these celebs who put in so much work. I just don't think at this point she is the best dancer of the ones I have mentioned. Of the dancers left I watch each week and decide how I think they have danced. I do not have a clear favorite yet as it may change. I think dancing wise Jaeel should still be there. That was based on this week and what I saw dancing wise. I also may have a different view than others to what I saw. I am no expert. I have nothing against any of these pros. They all work hard at teaching these celebs to dance.

I am going to always be disappointed when the best dancer does not win. I know it is suppose to be to vote for your favorite. The very fact that it is to vote for your favorite seems unfair to those that come in with huge fan bases and yet do not progress with their dancing ability. Maybe that concept is wrong. I personally think it should be all about the dancing and the ones who dance the best should be the winners at the end. I don't care who the pro is. They all know how to dance, choreograph, etc. Whichever pro is able to take the celeb to the end because of their dancing should be declared the winner. I know in the present structure of the show this is not going to happen. There are many influences that change that and I don't have a perfect answer. I don't know how they decide who gets who for a partner and I think these judges with the exception of Len let too many influences sway them. If they could have judges that truly know how to judge and perhaps give them more weight in the scoring that may help. With the way the show is designed now is the reason that I think we see so many disagreements. It may one of the reasons the popularity of the show is decreasing.

This is also the first time I have ever been on a site that covers reality shows. I have learned a lot that I was not even aware of before. I was merely a fan who loves dancing and watches any show that covers it. I was just a fan watching on my TV. My main point is that I think we all watch the show for different reasons. You watch for the pros and I watch for the celebs. Neither one of us is wrong - just how we view the show. JMO
    I agree wholeheartedly with you with one exception. I also try to use my votes to reward the celebrity that has done the best throughout the season and not be limited to the dances of the week. Everyone can have a bad week and I don't like to see someone sent home that has worked hard and danced really well through the season because they had an off performance. Often this is the result of lousy music choices or other elements outside of the contestant's control. I tend to split my votes between the best dance of the best of the week and the best dancer of the season.
    JunkieGirl and Jaceegirl like this.

I tend to be for the celebrity who has improved the most in both dancing and performance. I prefer it when none of the celebrities come in already knowing how to really dance or at least have not had any dancing lessons since their childhood.

I am really bored when one celebrity is so far ahead of everyone else that it doesn't even seem like a contest or it seems like it would not matter how much someone learned because they could never catch up with this person. That's probably why it doesn't bother me as much when the best dancer does not win because I tell myself that even though the other celebrity was a much better dancer, their performance abilities must have been somehow lacking else they would have garnered more votes.

I could care less which pro the celebrity is paired with except for entertainment value. Though I have been a little peeved in the past when it seemed that the same pro wins over and over again and I have been irritated when the judges seemed to show favoritism. But I can understand why it is easier to treat someone with respect who has always treated you with respect. Plus it's just possible that pros who have won multiple times are actually better teachers and/or choreographers.

I suspect this whole process is extremely hard and it gets everyone overly emotional. Dancers are artists and artists are known for being highly emotional beings. I just want to have fun watching and hoping my 'favorites' win whoever they may be from week to week as it has changed a lot this year.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I like to be entertained. I like the good dancing, but if the celeb bores me, I don't care how well they dance. And, I hate the celebs who come in so far ahead of the rest of the pack that no one else has a chance and really has to work. I don't care if they've had ballroom experience or not, it's obvious who has the advantage, and who doesn't. It's not fun watching people like Gladys, Melissa, and Martina, go up against people like Katherine, William, and Roshon. We know who has the dance advantage, and who is likely to get the 10s, and who the judges will boo hoo over even if they contributed to a better dancer leaving and a worse one sticking around. Since this show isn't a real dance competition and only awards a mirrorball trophy and a potential short lived career boost, I'm over caring about the good dancers. If I like the ringer or close to it, great. But if not, I don't care. This season started out so good and full of promise, as I've seen other people comment, but it went downhill in a real hurry. I don't need the producers to think for me or find ways to advance their favorites and gush over them. If Katherine and William have already been getting 10s for weeks now, there's no competition for me as to who they want in the end and who will likely win. But I do agree Jaceegirl that everyone has their reasons for watching. I wouldn't want to see Kate Gosselin win, but Gladys Knight? I'd take her.

I do think switching pros around would be an interesting experiment. It might really show if there's bias with certain pros (if Maks did the exact same routines with Maria, would the judges still give them the praise, or would Gladys still be here if she had Derek as a pro?) I like the poster who suggested at the end of the show, before they announce the winners, they just have the celebs stand there without the pro, especially if they switch them around. Another experiment-I'd like them to take the judges paddles away for a week or two and just have them give comments, and see how well that goes over. They can't score with them, so it's not like there's any difference.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    TIA__MA, Alexxxx and Midol like this.

But I can understand why it is easier to treat someone with respect who has always treated you with respect. Plus it's just possible that pros who have won multiple times are actually better teachers and/or choreographers

Yes that could be. I know when Derek had Ricki for a partner, she improved every- single- week.I didn't think she would win . But she listened every week to what the judges told her. I like someone that can stand there and take constructive criticism. If they aren't going to take it, the judges are not going to give it.

I am enjoying this seasons, they have really good dancers on. I am impressed by a lot of them, and their quality of work they so obviously put into their dancing.
    ilja likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I love that idea. Or open up FAN threads for each team and direct the non-fans to stay out of it. I already avoid Mark's thread because as a non-fan of his, I don't feel like I should go in there and bash him.

When Tom and Brooke repeat week after week, "Vote for your favorite dancer," that's what most of the audience does. Why can't the "favorite dancer" be the PRO? I'm the first to admit that Melissa is not the best dancer left by a long shot. But I admire the fact that she works hard and doesn't shy away from the very hard challenges Maks throws at her. Good on her!

We Maks fans aren't the only ones saying the judging is screwy - so are other pro dancers. And the poor guy - if he looks at the judges during their comments with a smile to try to show he's not angry, Carrie Ann comments negatively on it. If he doesn't look at them at all, that's wrong, too.

I agree AZ - I do not like Mark or Derek and would never go to their threads and bash them - why would I waste my energy???????? To continuously come in here and bash and critisize every movement Maks makes is just plain sad
    karalott, Florimel, GabbyG and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with you with one exception. I also try to use my votes to reward the celebrity that has done the best throughout the season and not be limited to the dances of the week. Everyone can have a bad week and I don't like to see someone sent home that has worked hard and danced really well through the season because they had an off performance. Often this is the result of lousy music choices or other elements outside of the contestant's control. I tend to split my votes between the best dance of the best of the week and the best dancer of the season.
    I do agree with your one exception and should have included that in my post. I agree anyone can have an off week.
    DancingDad likes this.

FORT Fanatic

IMO, if this show were truly about the best dancer and a true dance competition, they would have judges that were qualified to adjudicate in ballroom dancing, which Carrie Ann and Bruno are not. And they wouldn't let the viewers have a say, in which case they'd have very little audience, if any. Although, personally, I don't think the viewers have quite as much say as they think they do, or used to have in early seasons, with all the dance-off's, winner takes all, etc. that they have come up with in recent seasons to keep who the producers and judges want. Carrie Ann and Bruno seem to pick one hunky guy every single season, that they fawn and drool over all season long, and more often than not, that person cannot dance at all, but makes it pretty far in the show, if not into the finals, just because those two have the hots for them.

And I have said before, one of the mistakes this show made was to not rotate the pros every season, instead of bringing the same ones back over and over. It allowed the pros to garner such a fan base, that they are the stars now, not the celebs who sign up to be on the show. It's probably not something they ever considered would happen though, when they first started this show, and had no idea it would become an instant hit.
    Midol likes this.

+ Reply to Thread