+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: 4/24 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 4/24 DWTS 14 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

I think a good example of what you're saying is how the judges gave such strong criticism to the way Ralph Macchio moved his hands, but Kirstie Alley usually held hers in such an awkward position and the judges never mentioned it...all she got was praise.

The judges/producers handle certain "stars" more gently (protective of their fragility), others rather harshly, and over-score their favorites....otherwise Kelly Osborne and Bristol Palin would never have gone as far as they did. They handled those two with kid gloves.
    And throwing in the contests for their favorites to garner extra points only serves to "save" THEIR chosen ones while irritating the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice'n'Easy View Post
    Like your post, Kara. Reading back up the way, I don't think CA wussed out or that she showed guts in voting for Gladys to stay. The most logical to me is that the producers directed either CA or Len to vote for Gladys, for the drama of a tie to be broken or just for the courtesy of giving Gladys a vote.
    I think you are correct. Either the producers told them that someone had to give Gladys a vote out of respect, or the three dunderheads just decided ahead of time that one of them would give her a vote if she was in the dance duel. While it did seem fake and contrived, I think it was a classy way to show a very classy lady the door. I will miss Gladys. Every week we saw sincere mutual admiration between her and Tristan. Tristan was so sweet and respectful to her. It was one of the most special partnerships I have ever seen on the show.
    karalott and Midol like this.

Agreed. I always wonder if there is some "backroom" deal they do with certain stars to guarantee them getting to a certain point in order to keep them on. At the end of the day, I think not, because if the star is not really well received by fans, then it angers them to see the obvious favoritism. But some of the judges comments and scores, and some of the gimmicks that go on definitely make me wonder.
    karalott, Florimel and Midol like this.

If I were a bonafide star and not some D lister, I would never come on this show without some agreement in writing that the judges would not humiliate me. I consider Gladys a true star. I have no doubt that it was in her contract that they could not be nasty to her like they are to others. I'm not saying she had some deal to be over scored, just that she probably had some clause that they couldn't humiliate her. Sometimes these judges are brutal just for the sake of a sound bite, it's why most legit stars won't touch this show (I think).

The others who were also treated gently probably had similar agreements. They would do the show, they would take the scores, but they would not be treated poorly by The Three Idiots on the panel.
    karalott, Florimel and Midol like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Did not watch this week!!!! I am on a DWTS rehab program. I can't imagine the judges being mean to a 67 year old lady.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I didn't think they ever were. I actually think they were very respectful to Gladys all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I agree with both of you that it was probably just a courtesy vote. Had Gavin not done so horribly last week, I wondered if they'd throw him a pity vote, too. But then again, I don't think the judges wanted to diss Gladys Knight in anyway. CA is apparently taking a bit of flack on twitter over her vote and the dance off in general. She said the dance off comes as a result from what the fans supposedly wanted and isn't taking away the power to vote. Except it sort of is when you're not going with the outcome the fans wanted. I also thought Len would be the one to give Gladys his vote. It's why I hope Melissa can make it through the dance duel. I don't want her or Maks to be voted off, but I know it's coming, and I'd rather it be lack of votes vs the judges being the deciding factor. Sometimes I do wonder, though, how much flack the judges take when something may be solely the work of the producers. I don't know if I believe the comments and scores don't come from the producers as well. Of course, I think the judges do enough aggrivating and stupid stuff on their own that they deserve any criticism they get. But I've often wondered if the producers have a hand in how a pro choreographs. I don't believe it's any coincidence when one couple that's deemed a favorite keeps getting the pimp spot (or near it) every week, the best music, the best dance style of that week, and the better use of props, plus the judges glossing over messing about and lifts, while another couple gets dinged because their foot went wrong once. So I think it's a mix of producer manipulation and judges favoritism.

And according to CA, there is a double elimination, not next week, but the week after.
    JMHO . . .

Of COURSE CA voting for Gladys was a courtesy vote.

At least, I see it that way, too.

Everybody knew that Our Gladys was a fabulous singer and a musical icon and legend BEFORE she ever got any airtime as a dancer-in-training. Then, she comes on and dances, and, facts are facts, much as most people loved her as a singer, most EVERYBODY --- with the possible exception of Stevie Wonder --- KNEW that as a dancer, she had a snowball's chance in hell of going very far in the competition, let alone making it to the F3, or hoisting the Mirrorball trophy as "The WINNAH!".

The flip side to that was that after she got her first airtime on the show outside of dancing, she was so warm, so loveable, so classy and such a joy to see (with her beaming smile and great attitude) that we got a good taste of what she was like as a PERSON --- not just a musical legend --- and we loved and adored her all the more.

In other words, G appearing on the show was NOT "Cloris: The Sequel!"

And then The Three Stooges start this whole debacle off by WAY overscoring the first score of the first dance of the first couple of the season (kudos to DancingDad for the wording of that!) and keeping that crap going for two shows. Then to "straighten out" their mess, a judges' (or Stooges) save of the two lowest-scoring couples is announced.

If TPTB HADN'T done something to try to fix the mess The Stooges made, Gladys, might've come damned close to going way, way far on this show, because people watched and loved her (and TRISTAN, too!) more and more each week, and would've most likely voted to keep her in, just to get a taste of the wonderful, classy woman she is, each week.

So, enter Len, with his: "It's all about the dancin'!" remark (which he KNOWS is a lie, and HE knows that WE know it's a lie, too, and which, I wonder, if he's been kicking himself for ever since!).

I think it was almost pretty much signed, sealed and delivered that Gladys was probably going to wind up going out on a "judges' save" night.

And that's actually what happened.

Rewind a bit, here . . .

So, when the time came, which of The Stooges was going to be the one to have to give the "courtesy vote" to Gladys? I think ALL of them (just as most of US did), adored her, and being in the box they'd put themselves in, had to decide which of the three would take the hit and give her the CV, while the other two manned up (?!?) and put her down.

Remember when a couple of posters upthread mentioned, before the final announcement was made, something to the effect of: "What are they doing all that writing for? They haven't even STARTED dancing, yet!" Personally, I strongly suspect that The Three were writing notes then between themselves as to exactly which of them would be the one to NOT diss (in a sense) the Lady and Legend. Because, dumb as they think WE are, even THEY aren't so dumb as to NOT have been aware that whoever came out with the CV would catch 14 different kinds of hell for doing so.

And I think that CA was either told to do so by TPTB, or elected to fall on THAT particular group sword, herself. Or, maybe they played "Paper, Scissors, Rock" to reach the final decision.

Who knows?

Whatever.

Yep, it was a CV. Yep, I still think CA had guts to be the one to NOT diss The Legend. Especially after we saw that side-by-side dance wherein nobody with half a brain could deny that it was Gladys' time to go, much as most of us liked her, liked seeing her and Tristan, each week, and wanted to keep her around. God knows, there have DEFINITELY been WORSE dancers than Gladys on this show before, but that dance-off last night told THAT particular in-the-moment, on-the-spot tale (that The Stooges created for themselves) quite well.

I mean after "It's all about the dancin'!", for CA to have voted FOR Gladys?

Yep, I believe she's catching heat for it today. ESPECIALLY since she came on this show NOT having been a ballroom vet prior to it, (as far as I know) but (among other things, probably) a former touring dancer for Madonna, and a Fly Girl, to boot, and unofficially having designated herself as The Lift Policewoman of this show?

Can't stand CA, but I do have to for her having been the one to keep Gladys in last night.

I still think it took guts, on her part.

JMHO.

Hope I don't get flamed.

P.S.:

I sure do hope Tristan's mum got to meet and spend time with Gladys!
    Last edited by ness; 04-25-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    karalott and TIA__MA like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I didn't think they ever were. I actually think they were very respectful to Gladys all the way through.
    Yes, they were., all of them.I dont know how long she was supposed to last.I thought she was looking a little tired toward the end.. As much as I love Gladys, if I had to pick. I would have chosen Roshon to stay.
    ness and ilja like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    JMHO . . .

Of COURSE CA voting for Gladys was a courtesy vote.

At least, I see it that way, too.

Everybody knew that Our Gladys was a fabulous singer and a musical icon and legend BEFORE she ever got any airtime as a dancer-in-training. Then, she comes on and dances, and, facts are facts, much as most people loved her as a singer, most EVERYBODY --- with the possible exception of Stevie Wonder --- KNEW that as a dancer, she had a snowball's chance in hell of going very far in the competition, let alone making it to the F3, or hoisting the Mirrorball trophy as "The WINNAH!".

The flip side to that was that after she got her first airtime on the show outside of dancing, she was so warm, so loveable, so classy and such a joy to see (with her beaming smile and great attitude) that we got a good taste of what she was like as a PERSON --- not just a musical legend --- and we loved and adored her all the more.

In other words, G appearing on the show was NOT "Cloris: The Sequel!"

And then The Three Stooges start this whole debacle off by WAY overscoring the first score of the first dance of the first couple of the season (kudos to DancingDad for the wording of that!) and keeping that crap going for two shows. Then to "straighten out" their mess, a judges' (or Stooges) save of the two lowest-scoring couples is announced.

If TPTB HADN'T done something to try to fix the mess The Stooges made, Gladys, might've come damned close to going way, way far on this show, because people watched and loved her (and TRISTAN, too!) more and more each week, and would've most likely voted to keep her in, just to get a taste of the wonderful, classy woman she is, each week.

So, enter Len, with his: "It's all about the dancin'!" remark (which he KNOWS is a lie, and HE knows that WE know it's a lie, too, and which, I wonder, if he's been kicking himself for ever since!).

I think it was almost pretty much signed, sealed and delivered that Gladys was probably going to wind up going out on a "judges' save" night.

And that's actually what happened.

Rewind a bit, here . . .

So, when the time came, which of The Stooges was going to be the one to have to give the "courtesy vote" to Gladys? I think ALL of them (just as most of US did), adored her, and being in the box they'd put themselves in, had to decide which of the three would take the hit and give her the CV, while the other two manned up (?!?) and put her down.

Remember when a couple of posters upthread mentioned, before the final announcement was made, something to the effect of: "What are they doing all that writing for? They haven't even STARTED dancing, yet!" Personally, I strongly suspect that The Three were writing notes then between themselves as to exactly which of the them would be the one to NOT diss (in a sense) the Lady and Legend. Because, dumb as they think WE are, even THEY aren't so dumb as to NOT have been aware that whoever came out with the CV would catch 14 different kinds of hell for doing so.

And I think that CA was either told to do so by TPTB, or elected to fall on THAT particular group sword, herself. Or, maybe they played "Paper, Scissors, Rock" to reach the final decision.

Who knows?

Whatever.

Yep, it was a CV. Yep, I still think CA had guts to be the one to NOT diss The Legend. Especially after we saw that side-by-side dance wherein nobody with half a brain could deny that it was Gladys' time to go, much as most of us liked her, liked seeing her and Tristan, each week, and wanted to keep her around. God knows, there have DEFINITELY been WORSE dancers than Gladys on this show before, but that dance-off last night told THAT particular in-the-moment, on-the-spot tale (that The Stooges created for themselves) quite well.

I mean after "It's all about the dancin'!", for CA to have voted FOR Gladys?

Yep, I believe she's catching heat for it today. ESPECIALLY since she came on this show NOT having been a ballroom vet prior to it, (as far as I know) but (among other things, probably) a former touring dancer for Madonna, and a Fly Girl, to boot, and unofficially having designated herself as The Lift Policewoman of this show?

Can't stand CA, but I do have to for her having been the one to keep Gladys in last night.

I still think it took guts, on her part.

JMHO.

Hope I don't get flamed.

P.S.:

I sure do hope Tristan's mum got to meet and spend time with Gladys!
    Gladys was going to go, and all of us and our mothers knew it, so what did it hurt for Carrie Ann "to pretend to save her"? She knew the other 2 were not going to vote for Gladys, and that it was just a nice thing to do for the wonderful legend and great contender that Gladys has been on the DWTS. In a backhanded kind of way, I saw it as part of her contract/package, and a nice way for us to send her off.
    ness likes this.

Gladys was going to go, and all of us and our mothers knew it, so what did it hurt for Carrie Ann "to pretend to save her"? She knew the other 2 were not going to vote for Gladys, and that it was just a nice thing to do for the wonderful legend and great contender that Gladys has been on the DWTS. In a backhanded kind of way, I saw it as part of her contract/package, and a nice way for us to send her off.
    Absolutely! if nobody had said they wanted to save Gladys - that would have been wrong as well.
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread