+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: 3/19 DWTS14 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 3/19 DWTS14 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I have a feeling if Gladys continues to do well, the judges will try to make sure she sticks around. There was a lot of Gladys-worship going on. And deservedly. After all she IS Gladys Knight![/QUOTE]

Is that anything like "Did you know I'm a model?" Oh sorry, wrong show!
    fireflyer and Jaceegirl like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I finally watched the whole episode - I'd only watched a few of the routines before this - and I was SO embarrassed for William. He was obviously really uncomfortable with how every woman (and Bruno) treated him like a piece of meat. Hell, Len was the only one who actually talked about his dancing. The other two would have humped his leg if given the chance. Yes, he's a really good looking man, but they acted like idiots. I don't think they could have gotten away with that with a female contestant. I guess it was that they kept on drooling over him through the whole segment when it was obvious he was uncomfortable. Maybe they would have commented more on his dancing if he hadn't done well, but still. I hope that settles down a bit because I think he has the potential to go far.

As much as I really do like Anna, there was nothing good about that routine. The costumes and music were horrible and the choreography was "meh." I hope she does better next week because Jack has potential.

I'm not a Mark fan, but I thought the routine, costumes, music were all terrific. I don't think Katherine will do as well with the Latin dances, but she may prove me wrong.

Sherri = UGH. I'm just not a fan and this didn't change my mind.

I love Martina, but I fear that she may be the first to go. In another season, she might be closer to the middle of the pack, but so many people are SO good this time. I think Melissa is safe for a while based on Maks' popularity, which will give her time to, hopefully, improve.
    I totally agree with you about William. Yes, I was drooling, but I'm just an armchair observer that doesn't have a camera panned at me with 20+ million people watching Bruno didn't quite top himself, but I knew when they panned over to him while William was dancing, and Tom felt the need to get in between, it wasn't going to be pretty. In a pre-premiere interview I saw (it might have been on GMA), William said he didn't plan on taking his shirt off for his dances, and Cheryl was asked whether she'd work on that or not. Hopefully Cheryl doesn't take the 'sex sells' approach, and choreograph dances with William shirtless and thrusting his hips (I'll give Maks a break because he's the pro that we've come to expect that from I did notice that William seemed embarrassed by the reaction he got. I kind of admired that.

I enjoyed Jack's foxtrot, though 2 8s it wasn't. I almost feel like a 7 was too much, but I agree with DancingDad that the judges set the bar too high when they gave Maria's cha cha a 21. Even though Jack and Melissa have the name and nostalgia factor going for them, sometimes that can work against someone as much as it can for them. They may be earlier than expected exits, especially since I think Maria will benefit from Derek's fanbase (and she may get better), plus Katherine and William may make like Gilles and Kyle and wind up in the finals. I also feel like Gavin and Martina won't be long for the show, and Roshon may end up being Sabrina-ed in a surprise middle of the pack ousting. Right now, I think Jaleel and Donald are in finals territory.

I really hope the ratings see a trend upwards in the coming weeks. Hopefully if that happens, that'll show TPTB they don't need controversial casting like Kardashians/Jenners, politicians, or home wrecking tabloid mistresses. I actually get a kick out of the people moaning that this season is so horrible because no one news worthy is on there. It's the best season premiere in a long time. And season 12 was pretty darn good, and there was no stunt casting there, either. 18 million still isn't too shabby, especially since I think that's more than Idol got this week.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-23-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Jaceegirl likes this.

Did anyone catch Gladys say 'So what?'
    I'm pretty sure it was Brooke who said, "You're 67 years old and so what?"

Did Gladys repeat the "so what?" I don't think so - I think it was just Brooke. And personally, I'm kinda glad she said that - it may give Gladys some extra votes. She did great for any age - but I think she deserves some bonus points (and votes) for doing that well at her age. I also don't think Tristan minded her picking on his accent. He's said before, "It's why I'm here" (meaning the accent - that he's there because it's funny or cute or whatever - Nancy picked on it many times last season and he always laughed - and they made his 'tird' thing part of a skit during 'Dance Center' so I'm pretty sure he's fine with playing along rather than getting hurt feelings about it.)
    Fanny Mare and Jaceegirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa66 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was Brooke who said, "You're 67 years old and so what?"

Did Gladys repeat the "so what?" I don't think so - I think it was just Brooke. And personally, I'm kinda glad she said that - it may give Gladys some extra votes. She did great for any age - but I think she deserves some bonus points (and votes) for doing that well at her age. I also don't think Tristan minded her picking on his accent. He's said before, "It's why I'm here" (meaning the accent - that he's there because it's funny or cute or whatever - Nancy picked on it many times last season and he always laughed - and they made his 'tird' thing part of a skit during 'Dance Center' so I'm pretty sure he's fine with playing along rather than getting hurt feelings about it.)
    I think you are right! Its fine to have fun with an accent, my MIL didnt know what he had said, so she was glad Brooke translated LOL
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

After the show, the buzz among staffers was about how this was a completely different bunch from last season: No divas, no drama, no reality stars, no nonsense. "These are pros," said one staffer. "They know what it means to work for a living, and they're here because they really want to learn how to dance, not because some manager told them they needed to do it for their career."
    I watched the Voice rather than the premiere of DWTS. I didn't hear too much about the new cast and wasn't excited. However, I just watched the show online, and I really enjoyed it - for all the reasons noted above, i.e. no diva's or ringers (although the singer from England...or is it Australia) might turn out to be one. I found every single person to be extremely enjoyable in both personality and dance (except Maria M's laugh...she won't last long for me with that going on...chalk on a chalk-board to the nth degree).

Anyway, before I commit fully to the "no-diva" concept, I do have a few questons and I'm wondering what everyone thinks...

Jack Wagner was criticized rather aggressively by Len for technique, posture, etc. Then, in the back while waiting for scores, he said something like "all the technique and posture is because of what Anna taught him." It was said in a nice tone but that aside, it came off as if he was begging responsibility.

Others made similar comments....Martina said something like "let's see if he can do better" (that's not exactly right but it was something like that) in regards to Tony for her next performance.

And, I think Gladys Knight was rather distant from her partner.

Am I reading too much into these comments? I kinda don't think so because the dancers looke surprised. Anna T came off as not knowing whether to thank Jack or slap him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, and is Gladys Knight really 67 years old???? She was AMAZING! One of my favorite performances EVER was Emmit Smith's first dance with Cheryl Burke. Gladys' an Tristan's dance tonight was oddly similar - VERY similar in fact. And, even Len's comments were nearly identical to those he gave Emmit.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    I need to chime in on Melissa Gilbert's appearance. I don't think she looks much different than she ever has....just older, as we all do. She's nowhere near unrecognizable, as some have said. She's just not a little girl anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    She has work done on her face, and at 47 I really dont think she needed it. It doesn't look good, but I think she is still recognisable
    Big lip injections
    Nose job
    Forehead lift (check out her eyebrow slant)
    Breast enhancement, and then a second even bigger breast enhancement.
    Hideous hair dye

If she would just lose the orange hair, the rest of her plastic surgery would not look anywhere near so obvious. And the hair dye makes her crowsfeet more noticeable than they would otherwise be. I don't think it's too late for her to look normal again. The lip injections will dissipate over time (although leaving her lips wrinkly), and she could get her natural haircolor back, which would give her skin tone a healthier look. She could also remove or downsize her breast implants to something more natural for her frame, which would allow her to have natural body movement again. But I think we can safely predict by the sheer number of surgeries she's had that she will keep doing them. It's so sad that her mind keeps telling her she needs more.

Melissa pictures, then and now: Melissa Gilbert Plastic Surgery
    Jaceegirl likes this.

This is my first post in this DWTS thread and with all the talk of Melissa Gilbert and the procedures she has had it makes me feel sad that people in Hollywood feel the pressure to always have to look as young as possible. Before all these procedures came into existence everyone aged normally. No one likes to get old, but unfortunately we all do. Not saying that it is wrong, but some go to far.

I have always loved watching DWTS because I love dancing. My husband and I danced for almost 20 years and I absolutely loved it. I no longer can, but I miss it so much as it is wonderful exercise and tons of fun.

I do not like the fact that it is more about the fan base of a person rather than talent. That being said they do say vote for your favorite dancer so that is where personality enters into the picture. Personality is an important part of the whole package, but what I am talking about is stars that have larger fan bases than others. When you see those dancers stay on because of their fan base, but don't have the ability I think that is wrong. Last season was a good example because good dancers which may not have been as well known left while others stayed. When it gets down to the end I do agree the better dancers of those left usually end up winning or at least the top two, but what if some of the early not as popular ones had been left in and continued on with not only dancing great, but got to show us there personality as well it could all end up very different. I guess there is no truly fair way.

I don't know the fan base for Katherine, but she is one that has such natural ability based on the first night. I am glad that they have to do another dance before elimination because it would be hard to see anyone go based on the first performance. I think they all did a great job especially because it was the first night. Lots of them have great ability, but I do not know what their previous experience is when it comes to dancing.

William not only looks good, but can really dance and is obviously very popular. Same with Double D from the Packers. I think Gladys Knight was fantastic and for 67 years old she did terrific. She was fun to watch and obviously was having a great time. Jakeel White amazed me with not only his dancing, but his looks. Roshone Fegan who I am not familiar with was great with Chelsie. Sherri was another one who was having lots of fun.

I am not a fan of Brooke and Bruno and Carrie can go over the top as they did for William. As always I never understand some of the scoring and find it to be inconsistent. Len can be grumpy as we have all witnessed if you have been watching all along.

I think after we have seen them do a second dance it may narrow the field a bit more, but I have to say I was impressed with everyone for their first night showing. I may not be able to be here on show night, but enjoy reading everyone's post and thoughts and will pop in again each week.

I tried doing something for the first time and it did not work - I used there instead of their in the sentence that talks about them showing their personality. When I tried backing it out of the original quote I kept getting a message saying my message was too short. I am new to this and obviously do not know how to do it correctly. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I tried doing something for the first time and it did not work - I used there instead of their in the sentence that talks about them showing their personality. When I tried backing it out of the original quote I kept getting a message saying my message was too short. I am new to this and obviously do not know how to do it correctly. Sorry about that.
    Welcome to the DWTS forum. It will be interesting to hear hour insights as a fellow dancer.
    Fanny Mare and Jaceegirl like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Finally got to watch the entire show. It was a great premiere! Also a double edged sword. I like the fact that no one was a total stinker and everyone seems so nice~~yet we have to send home someone every week.

Love to see young guys like Roshon and Lil Romeo sign up for this show. Boys who sign up for dance classes are probably teased a lot, possibly bullied. Seeing these young men dance shows that you can still be "cool" and ballroom dance. I think Roshon will be around for awhile.

Wow! I saw William Levy's photo and thought he was a pretty boy. He reminds me of a young Ricky Martin. He is nice to look at and can definitely dance! Muy caliente!

Katherine Jenkins is just too adorable. Great first dance, it was like watching Marilyn Monroe out on that dance floor. Mark wasn't his annoying self and it was a very lovely dance.

Gladys was spectacular and Gavin has a clear disadvantage with this cast. Maria danced fine, but that laugh~~that will become annoying real quick. I'm hoping that Martina will come back with a good jive, but I felt bad for her. Hopefully people will keep her in over Gavin. She needs to prove that she can dance better than Monica Seles!

Urkel was very good. He was kind of a hybrid of JR and Hines. Very charming, moved well and sweet as all get out. Melissa broke her back? Oh I hope they don't go with the same storyline as Jennifer Grey. I don't want to hear about all of her ailments.

I do prefer when we get to see 2 weeks of dancing before elimination. The 'stars' have 3 weeks to 'perfect' their 1st dance. Week 2 gives us a better picture of who has potential.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread