Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Gavin DeGraw & Karina Smirnoff - Season 14

Re: Gavin DeGraw & Karina Smirnoff - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I'm not really sure what to make of Gavin. Going by some pre-show interviews and clips, I was expecting him to be worse, but I'm not thinking his jive will be as good as the judges are thinking. He seemed to be very nervous by the way he kept responding to everyone everytime they had a comment. He seems very nice, and Karina seems happy. Not sure how long I see him lasting, but he might break out of his shell.
    Yeah, he dresses like he can jive, but that doesn't mean anything!

I thought he'd be worse, too. This seems like an unusually strong cast, though, so I still don't see him sticking around for long. I'm hoping he will anyway. I know no one seems to know who he is, but his current single is on the radio nonstop...I think it's kind of cool that they have someone who is somewhat current in the cast this season.

Who is John Galt?

Sweet guy and great personality, but has a fairly steep learning curve ahead in dancing.

We've seen people who began pretty bad but that finished super strong at the end... Rob Kardashian for example. I'm still hoping he'll improve and be able to stick around awhile!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I think a big part of the problem is that he's currently on tour so obviously can't put in the same rehearsal time as others. I think the tour ends soon--hopefully he can catch up, if he sticks around that long!

He's a real sweetheart and really funny, but he seems kind of aloof. I don't know if he'll consistently improve week to week, some things may not stick in his head long-term. I have a feeling he'll be an early out, after Martina and maybe Jack.
    karalott likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

If he wears that stupid hat next week, I'll scream. It'll be like Master P and those horrible shoes. I don't think he has the fan base to stick in the competition for more than a few weeks, max. If he was really good, that might buy him some time, but he's quite awkward and his shyness means the fans may not rally to him.
    karalott likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

From what I've read or maybe heard on tv, he wears the hat because he has, or thinks he has, bad hair. I can't see that hat in things like the waltz or paso - maybe they'll give him a toreador hat for the paso if he's still around. lol
    karalott and Fanny Mare like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    From what I've read or maybe heard on tv, he wears the hat because he has, or thinks he has, bad hair. I can't see that hat in things like the waltz or paso - maybe they'll give him a toreador hat for the paso if he's still around. lol
    I hope he takes it off I watch his dancing, besides, I saw lots of bad hair the other night.Well, one or two.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

This show is somewhat risky for a current star... wonder why he chose to do it? Especially if he's working/touring at the same time. Don't make no sense. Is he trying to increase album sales by tapping into new fans?

From what I've read, he took a long break between albums and lost ground. His latest album is definitely aimed at an older audience. So he probably is trying to get new fans, especially as he has another tour coming up this summer.

I agree that makes no sense for this particular show. I dated a guy who was doing a national tour (long long ago!), and we barely even spoke because his hours were so skewed. Two p.m. to 4 a.m. is your normal day, with or without optional partying...so I don't know how someone could fit in five or six hours of dance practice as well.

If you're not super well-known, like Gladys Knight, I think the ideal candidate is someone like Sherri Shepard. She's "out there" with a job, but it doesn't appear to be hugely demanding, and her show will benefit from her performing on DTWS--so they probably give her any support she needs.
    karalott likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast