+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

Re: Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas - Season 14

These are spats, the wraparound covering over a shoe. Before this season, Mark wore them all the time, and often stole focus from his partners (not only via the spats). He probably loves them because he's such a Michael Jackson fan and MJ wore them.

I think Len just spoke the truth, because with Mark it has to be said over and over: stop finding more ways to jeopardize your partners, whether it's by giving himself flashy steps, or wearing spats, or by indulging his creative whims by over-choreographing a dance until it no longer resembles the assigned dance. I don't feeling like I'm overstating here, because Len calls him out for these things every season, and yet he never changes.

My own amateur analysis: I think Mark see what Derek does, and tries to one-up it. The thing is, Derek manages to get creative with dances without losing the original dance, and Derek never forgets to make his partner look like she's holding up her half of the dance. Mark seems to forget those two things and just gets lost in the creative part. He also has an addiction to adding breakdance moves and mime-like contortions for himself that do nothing but scream "Look at me!" If he didn't do it so much I wouldn't ride him so hard about it, but it's like he wears this stuff with pride or something. Which is bad for him, and really bad for his partners.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 04-03-2012 at 04:44 AM.
    ness, fireflyer, GabbyG and 4 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

As much as I HATE Mark, I have to say that Katherine was fantastic last night. Her dance to her father left me in tears. I am so close to my dad and can't imagine having to deal with his death at such an early age.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

My own amateur analysis: I think Mark see what Derek does, and tries to one-up it. The thing is, Derek manages to get creative with dances without losing the original dance, and Derek never forgets to make his partner look like she's holding up her half of the dance. Mark seems to forget those two things and just gets lost in the creative part. He also has an addiction to adding breakdance moves and mime-like contortions for himself that do nothing but scream "Look at me!" If he didn't do it so much I wouldn't ride him so hard about it, but it's like he wears this stuff with pride or something. Which is bad for him, and really bad for his partners.

I read along time ago they have a friendly rivalry. I know people want it to be much much more than that.I have watched their hip hop routines on you tube with Lacey, they are without a doubt very very good friends, & the first to congratulate one another. Each to their own.
    I guess.

I grew up with an Uncle that danced and won all sorts of trophies, and he made faces, his whole body danced, from top to toe. If you asked him about the faces he made, he would question you. When he saw it played back he simply didnt know, but try as he may, he could not correct it. Not once the dancing started.

Everyone wears spats now Tristan Tony Donald, what's the big deal?

Talking of bad partners, I thought, as he is with Katherine, Mark was very protective of Bristol Plain, try as they may to get him to say something really nasty about her, he didnt. Not that I am aware of. So I take the good with the bad. Heck he cant even talk properly according to some people..Well I have been over from the UK for over 43 years and my accent is still with me, if I am with a bunch of my cousins from the UK, Mr Mare will always laugh at how I am now talking like a character off of Coronation Street.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Fred Astaire frequently wore spats while dancing, but that was the style back then and he could carry them off. Mark cannot.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

What about the others? Tristan? Tony? Donald? Val?
    -Andy Rooney-

The spats are kind of a dead issue now since Mark has been better about it this season, but in the past he seemed to wear them habitually. But I think they have stood out as an issue in the past because they drew even more attention to his already flashy style of dancing.

I will say that he did act admirably while being stuck with Bristol Palin. She was a total deer in the headlights for most of her season.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The spats are kind of a dead issue now since Mark has been better about it this season, but in the past he seemed to wear them habitually. But I think they have stood out as an issue in the past because they drew even more attention to his already flashy style of dancing.

I will say that he did act admirably while being stuck with Bristol Palin. She was a total deer in the headlights for most of her season.

I don't know how he did it. I also posted Bristol Plain, not Palin. Oops!
    -Andy Rooney-

While this season's crop of start is great I do believe that there is scoring inflation at work here.

Katherine Jenkins is setting a torrid pace - averaging 27 points per dance over the first three dances. The only other dancer to equal that mark was Kristi in season 6 who also averaged 27 points over the first three dances. As a benchmark, Kristi averaged 28.3 points per dance over the entire season. No other contestant has come close to that figure.

Last season JR averaged 23.3 points over the first 3 dances and 26.4 for the season. This would put him in 7th place this season. Nicole Scherzinger only averaged 25.3 over her first 3 dances and 27.5 for the season.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Katherine's waltz was lovely. I cried. And, Mark was very good - he presented a nice frame for his partner. I was able to watch Katherine the whole dance without being distracted by any antics of Mark's.

As respects the spats angst, I think maybe it's an extension of people's disliking Mark. If you dislike someone, they can be eating crackers and they'll annoy you, LOL. Whereas if you LIKE someone, you're much more accepting of any aberrations in behaviour.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Speaking for myself, that's not the case. I would call out any male pro if his wardrobe choices or his flashy moves were pulling focus from his partner, which Mark has done way more than any pro on the show. It's true that it's easier for him to annoy me now, but it's not a chicken/egg paradox -- it was his behavior that annoyed me over time, I didn't dislike him on sight.
    ness and AZChristian like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread