+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

FORT Fogey

Re: Maria Menounos & Derek Hough - Season 14

Her laugh is not cute and she thinks it is.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I don't think people have to worry about Derek being a 4-timer this year. I'm getting a 'Hope Solo' vibe from Maria. Seems like she'd be great on paper, but she seemed really stiff and timid this past week.

Congrats, anti-Houghers. Derek has a real challenge this season! Plus I doubt she has a big fanbase of her own to lean on, compared to other stars. I'm a little worried they'll be leaving really early, which would bite, because he's simply the best choreographer the show has. Maybe he'll get lots of results show pieces to do if they get the boot early.
    karalott, Critical and JavaJo like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

MFW - I feel like I'm following you around this forum!

I agree that she's probably not going to get Derek a 4th win. I was surprised at how lackluster her dance was. She's gorgeous and has a great body, but she just didn't have any oomph. She was just going through the motions. If she doesn't start showing more personality, I'd say they'll be out somewhere in the middle. Derek's definitely got a bigger fan base than Maria does, but they'll only take him so far.

What was Derek's earliest elimination? Unless she improves, Maria might be out sooner than expected.
    karalott and MFWalkoff like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    MFW - I feel like I'm following you around this forum!
    I know right? I was hoping to put together a surprise recap sometime this week, but work has been brutal, and I just signed off and felt punchy, so I thought I would get all my thoughts out about last week before I crashed.

I agree that she's probably not going to get Derek a 4th win. I was surprised at how lackluster her dance was. She's gorgeous and has a great body, but she just didn't have any oomph. She was just going through the motions. If she doesn't start showing more personality, I'd say they'll be out somewhere in the middle. Derek's definitely got a bigger fan base than Maria does, but they'll only take him so far.

What was Derek's earliest elimination? Unless she improves, Maria might be out sooner than expected.
    According to our handy-dandy Pro/Contestant thread, the worst he's ever done is 6th, with Shannon Elizabeth. So the lesson there is, don't date your partner!

People keep saying how surprised they are that the dances were so good for a first week. I feel like they should be really good, since the stars have been training and rehearsing for at least 3 weeks. I expect the second week (or maybe the third, if they've been learning both of their first dances at once) to be a real letdown, since they'll have to get used to perfecting a routine in only 6 days.
    karalott likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

She's too tall for him to dance well with. He doesn't shine with the tall girls.
    But I see them hooking up. She teased him right off the bat, and he's a Type-A who likes a challenge, and she's a Type-A also. They both like the thrill of achieving. She is gorgeous and they will hook up.

Or, he will get turned off by her laugh early on, and they will get eliminated early.
    karalott likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I thought Maria Menudo (No, I didn't misspell her name. That's what I call her) I felt she danced like she didn't care!
    karalott likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Well this might explain why she was stiff on the dance floor:

Maria Menounos Breaks A Rib During 'Dancing' Training

March 26th, 2012 8:58am EDT

Actress/presenter Maria Menounos has been secretly nursing a broken rib as she competes on reality show Dancing With The Stars, according to a report.

The Extra correspondent has been in intense rehearsals for the series with her professional partner Derek Hough, and they scored 21 points for their Cha-Cha-Cha during the debut episode last week.

However, Menounos has been hiding a painful secret - New York Post gossip column Page Six reports she broke a rib during a recent session.

A source says, "She has been in excruciating pain for the past few weeks during rehearsals, but she is staying strong and working through it."

"She refuses to give up."
    Interesting -- but why didn't they bring it up on the show? Usually they play things like this up for all the drama they can...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    According to our handy-dandy Pro/Contestant thread, the worst he's ever done is 6th, with Shannon Elizabeth. So the lesson there is, don't date your partner!

People keep saying how surprised they are that the dances were so good for a first week. I feel like they should be really good, since the stars have been training and rehearsing for at least 3 weeks. I expect the second week (or maybe the third, if they've been learning both of their first dances at once) to be a real letdown, since they'll have to get used to perfecting a routine in only 6 days.
    Or let your partner have a meltdown over the lack of hip action in their rumba.

Considering what we've been saddled with in recent seasons on week 1 (Kate, Wendy, Bristol, Rob), I kept waiting for someone to come out and totally bomb. But each couple seemed to get better and better as the night went on, with a mediocre performance slipping through. But even those weren't cringe worthy. I do think that, unfortuantely, the season might start lacking in later weeks. Especially when the couples start thinning out and they have 2-3 dances to master for one week (and only have a week to rehearse). From what I understand, the couples know their two dances when they start rehearsals, so usually they've begun rehearsing their week 2 dance before the premiere. I remember one season Cheryl knew a dance style she had a couple of weeks down the road even. Regardless, it's the jive and quickstep. I'm not counting on it being as good as last week.

As for Maria, she was pretty lackluster, but the rib injury could explain it. I like her, so I won't mind if she sticks around (for now). I do agree that I don't see Derek winning a 4th trophy this time-although between the only pros who have won, I do think we could have a repeat winner with Kym or Cheryl, potentially Mark.

Interesting -- but why didn't they bring it up on the show? Usually they play things like this up for all the drama they can...
    Considering Derek's had two partners in a row that complained each week of injuries and pain (and I do blame the producers more for that), maybe they figured they'd give him a break. Or save it for this week. I think Melissa, with her previous back injuries, will get the injury edit this season.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.

They were okay tonight I knew they would better this week than last! Thats what I hope for, each week seeing improvements If she is dancing with a bruised rib, then she did pretty damn well
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I still don't think Derek will get a 4th win-or make the finals-but Maria was a lot better this week. Given how the scoring went, I would have given her 3 8s instead of a 9 mixed in. But I actually enjoyed their dance, one of my favorites of the night. I do think the height difference is a little too obvious and that she seems a tad gangly (I thought that of Erin Andrews and Shannon Elizabeth, too-somehow, it's all legs). We'll see in the coming weeks whether she keeps up or not. I do think she has a bigger fanbase than some might suspect, but I've been wrong about that before, too Of course Derek's fanbase is probably good until the semi finals or close to it. It's why I wish we got a better breakdown of votes and tallies, because while a pros fanbase can only go so far, I'd be curious how much of an impact it might really make.

At any rate, at least Derek has a partner I like, so if I'm going to be stuck with him for the long haul, at least I can be happy for his partner.

+ Reply to Thread