+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    LOL, that's your opinion. I don't like Derek, but he is a good choreographer, but I think Maks is better IMO
    Yup it is. We all have one

Cheers!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I love Maks, the show would not be the same without him! He does look kind of bored with Melissa as a partner though, at least so far.

Comparing Derek and Maks is kind of like trying to compare apples and oranges for me. Derek seems to concentrate on the technique more. Maks has the technique too, but he just adds more flair to his performances. Both are lovely eye candy though.
    karalott, AZChristian and jucamer like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Maks made some very interesting comments in his interview with Hollywood.com. He said that “There's not a person on this cast who can't do it, I think it's going to come down to fan base and come down to popular appeal: people's stories, the way they handle things. It's going to come down to the votes. Judges became completely obsolete. We got a 20 [for our Week 1 Cha-Cha-Cha] and we're tied for the last place. Any other season a 20 would be a blessing on the first show.”

I happen to completely agree. With all the couples scoring so high the differentiating factor will be viewer's votes. Viewers votes will easily overcome any difference in scores awarded by the judges.
    This is my first season of being part of this forum of DWTS and I am sure learning a lot about the show, the pros, judges, etc. that I never even knew. I loved the show because I love dancing and have always looked at it from my own view and background of dancing myself. I agree with you about the judges and wonder why we even need them in this particular format. In real dance competitions the judges scores mean everything because there is no audience participation. In this show because it is all about popularity of the stars and the pros I am not seeing the need for the judges scores. Something needs to change on this show and I am not sure what the answer is. If it is not about the dancing and only about your favorite dancer then the judges could make critiques, but not get votes just leave it up to the audience. I think sometimes because of the judges voting either too high or too low for certain contestants the audience reacts to that. If they want a true show about the dancing and not the popularity of a contestant than it should be a situation where the judges votes carry a lot more weight than they do now. The problem with this show is that I don't feel they have the best judges in order to do that. Len I think is more of a true judge. I know he can be grumpy at times, but I do believe he is truly judging the dancing of the contestants. Carrie and Bruno make it all about all sorts of things with sex appeal being first and foremost. They at times do make it about dancing, but not often enough.

What really scares me about this show is when I have read comments where the public like contestants such as Bristol Palin, Chas, Situation and Kate Gosselin as an example of who they want to see. Is this what our country has turned into. I think this cast is all about what I consider true stars. I think that a lot of these contestants have obviously danced in some capacity over the years and I think that is why they were all so good. I think that is why this was probably the best start as far as dancing is concerned with the exception of a few like poor Martina. Regarding Melissa I think the content was there, but she did seem to show to much concentration on her face. If she relaxes I think she could be rather good if she stays in. For me and I am a novice on this site, I have just noticed on my own that Mark is not the same as he was in the beginning. I don't know if all the winning has gone to his head or what is going on. I appreciate all the pros and know they have to put in a lot of hours to do this show and I respect them all for it. My biggest gripe is who they end up getting for partners. I don't like seeing the same ones winning all the time and why last season I was so happy for Karina. I feel bad for Tony and anyone who has not won. It is too bad that the ratings are not that good as I truly enjoy the show and would hate to not have it on. I hope I have put this in the right spot and if not I hope someone will move it to where it should be.
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 03-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.

I like to see how happy Maks appears with Melissa. I watched an interview done after Tuesday's show and you could see the obvious affection. He also said that this season is going by faster for him than any other. If you don't care for your partner, I would think you'd feel that time was time dragging.

I believe the thing that helps Melissa get along with him is that she is a strong woman who is totally committed to the process and doesn't easily get her feelings hurt. I doubt that they'll stay in the honeymoon phase the whole time, but so far, so good!

Now if Melissa'd just stop (pulling a Brandy and) TRYING SO HARD and let go and FEEL the dance, I'd enjoy watching them even more!
    combatcutie and Alexxxx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I like to see how happy Maks appears with Melissa. I watched an interview done after Tuesday's show and you could see the obvious affection. He also said that this season is going by faster for him than any other. If you don't care for your partner, I would think you'd feel that time was time dragging.

I believe the thing that helps Melissa get along with him is that she is a strong woman who is totally committed to the process and doesn't easily get her feelings hurt. I doubt that they'll stay in the honeymoon phase the whole time, but so far, so good!

Now if Melissa'd just stop (pulling a Brandy and) TRYING SO HARD and let go and FEEL the dance, I'd enjoy watching them even more!
    Agreed ^^^^ I also think Maks and Melissa get along because she is a professional. Not that his other partners weren't professionals in their own ways, but Melissa began her career in a situation where she was required to be mature and disciplined and had to listen to her boss as the last word.....really the ONLY word. Michael Landon was well known as someone who did not suffer fools and expected a lot from his actors. Melissa became a star on LH, probably in part because she took to his "teaching" style very well.

I'm sure Maks and Melissa have their disagreements, but I like that they present a united front when the cameras are there.While I'm sure they have their moments, it does seem like Melissa lets Maks be the boss and acknowledges that he's the expert in this situation. Nothing annoys me more about this show when the "star" argues with their pro in the rehearsal clips. Melissa appears to be able to let go of her ego and NOT be in control.

I hope they keep getting the votes so that Melissa has a chance to improve. I think she has so much potential, but there are a lot of good dancers this season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So Maks said he and Melissa have the jive this week. Which may not be a bad thing to get that dance out of the way early. And it may stick out for the better amongst a sea of rumbas. But, Melissa needs to really loosen up and have fun with it. If she's as nervous and tense as she's been, it could be a disaster. Or, it could be her breakthrough dance.

I'm almost to the point where I think a few belts of whiskey just before the dance might be the best thing for her!
    Ellen, Bet2Win, DancingDad and 4 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I'm almost to the point where I think a few belts of whiskey just before the dance might be the best thing for her!
    Yup — the little keg on the prairie could work wonders.
    judibug, MFWalkoff and Midol like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

If she has a really upbeat story to tell, the jive could be perfect. Beats all those rumbas imho, and it could stand out.I am not a fan of Maks( I know, who knew) but I wish every couple well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just had this horrible vision of Melissa doing the jive in full Laura Ingalls garb!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread