+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

FORT Fogey

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    ^ Well I guess we have our first "heart-tugging" rehearsal video right there for Monday night.
    I don't know if it was the typical "heart-tugging" rehearsal video, though. I think Melissa was sincere, but she wasn't weepy at all when she explained herself, and Maks was very dead pan humorous when he said, "But I still don't understand why you cry." It didn't come off as if either of them weren't being honest or didn't believe what they were saying. But it wasn't a Jennifer Grey tearfest over Patrick Swayze and how Derek reminded her of him either.

I saw Melissa Gilbert in the musical Little House on the Prairie (I got a pair of free tickets for helping with a pre-show event), and she did start crying when the audience stood for her at the end, but when the other cast members wanted her to speak to the audience, she insisted someone else do it, because she was too choked up and didn't want to cry further, so I don't think she's particularly interested in big public emotional scenes either. I think what got to her was perhaps that she was in the middle of Little House country--the real deal, not the sets she'd spent her childhood on--and she knew the Wilder books are darn near local versions of holy texts, so she took the standing ovation to heart (though, truly, in the midwest, the joke is that people will also give a standing ovation to a good corn crop). I was impressed that everywhere the show went on tour, members of the cast worked on Habitat Humanity houses, helping to build new little houses on the prairie, and part of the ticket sales for the show was given to Habitat and part to Seeing Eyes for the Blind, the guide dog organization, as sort of a tribute to Mary Ingalls.

I also thought it was very funny that the first entrance of Nelly Olsen was greeted by an adult male voice booming out, "It's NELLY!" followed by raucous applause. The young woman who played Nelly was good, but she had the audience before she opened her mouth, just by virtue of the role, even if she was Laura's nemesis.
    karalott and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey

I'll be rooting for Half Pint.

Oh yeah, and Maks.
    jucamer likes this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just saw a short clip of them discussing how Maks had never seen LHOP and didn't know who she was, and they were both teasing each other and laughing about it. In that clip, at least, they seemed to be getting along okay, and Maks typically does better, I think, with partners who are willing to stand up to him and with whom he can joke around (Kirstie and Erin, for instance). I think if Maks gives her crap, she'll probably just dish it right back, as opposed to taking it too personally.
    This. Fall seasons in general drag for many reasons, but for Maks, it seems like they really take their toll with how he's edited, his attitude, and his partners. I think that Maks definitely does better with partners who, as you said, go toe to toe with him, can laugh at him and themselves, don't take this experience so seriously, and are willing to take a backseat and learn but not let him get away with just walking all over them and calling all the shots (in addition to Kiristie and Erin, I'd also throw in Laila and Mel B). I think that's why Hope and Brandy were more platonic partnerships; they seemed to take the show for more than what it was, and weren't used to not being the best, or #1 every week. Now, I think the judges were rough on them in some respects, but that's another matter. I have high hopes for these two. Definitely glad Maks is back I sort of feel like he was acting all Stepford in early interviews, so I hope the show doesn't clamp down on is free speech. I hope we gets lots of pro numbers from both Chmerkovskiy's this season.
    combatcutie and Midol like this.

FORT Fogey

In his latest TV Guide blog, Maks is very complimentary of Melissa, and he specifically mentions that she can dish it out and she can take it, which he loves, so I guess a couple of us called that one correctly. He also says she's very intelligent and funny and doesn't get offended easily. For instance, he mentions that when he tells her she can compete with "these young girls," she understands he means that as a compliment, not a comment on her age.

They've been practicing the cha-cha and the quickstep, according to Maks, so I guess they have the cha-cha this week and the quickstep next week.

I hope Alison Arngrim is in the audience (Nellie Olsen) - I loved her on Little House! Her sister Sara will probably be there - would love to see her brother Jonathan (he played Nellie's brother Wille on LHOTP). Maybe some of Michael Landon's kids - I believe she was close to them as well.
    karalott likes this.

FORT Fogey

Alison Arngrim travels a lot--one woman show, book tours (it just came out in paperback), personal appearances, appearances on behalf of PROTECT and other groups with which she works--so I don't know how much she'd be around. According to her twitter, she just got back from France where LHOP and Nellie are very popular. She's working on a second book because the first has sold so well too.

However, again according to twitter, someone has suggested that she show up dressed as Nellie and throw things at Half-Pint, which she thought was an "awesome" idea. Since Maks had no idea who Melissa was when he first met her and had never seen LHOP (which is why MG gave him the DVD set and a copy of her book), I bet that would totally freak him out. Really, it would be a great rehearsal footage gag, particularly since AA and MG loved doing fight scenes as kids (or at least that's what AA wrote in her book). Imagine Maks' reaction if this crazy woman in 19th century clothes and that awful wig showed up at rehearsal and MG started pummeling her. Or he showed up for practice one morning and Nellie was there in place of MG, demanding that he dance with her instead of that "country girl" Laura Ingalls.

Oh, yeah, and also according to Arngrim's book, Jonathan Gilbert aka Willie Oleson travels the world practically constantly. She joked that it's kind of like Where in the World is Willie Olsen? because no one ever seems to know where he is and then all of the sudden, she'll get a postcard from some remote place. If he were to show up in the audience, I'd think that would be a surprise.
    Last edited by Tilden; 03-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    karalott, Florimel and jucamer like this.

Alison Arngrim travels a lot--one woman show, book tours (it just came out in paperback), personal appearances, appearances on behalf of PROTECT and other groups with which she works--so I don't know how much she'd be around. According to her twitter, she just got back from France where LHOP and Nellie are very popular. She's working on a second book because the first has sold so well too.

However, again according to twitter, someone has suggested that she show up dressed as Nellie and throw things at Half-Pint, which she thought was an "awesome" idea. Since Maks had no idea who Melissa was when he first met her and had never seen LHOP (which is why MG gave him the DVD set and a copy of her book), I bet that would totally freak him out. Really, it would be a great rehearsal footage gag, particularly since AA and MG loved doing fight scenes as kids (or at least that's what AA wrote in her book). Imagine Maks' reaction if this crazy woman in 19th century clothes and that awful wig showed up at rehearsal and MG started pummeling her. Or he showed up for practice one morning and Nellie was there in place of MG, demanding that he dance with her instead of that "country girl" Laura Ingalls.

Oh, yeah, and also according to Arngrim's book, Jonathan Gilbert aka Willie Oleson travels the world practically constantly. She joked that it's kind of like Where in the World is Willie Olsen? because no one ever seems to know where he is and then all of the sudden, she'll get a postcard from some remote place. If he were to show up in the audience, I'd think that would be a surprise.

I read Melissa's book but didn't know Alison had one too - I've got to get it! I loved that show and still enjoy watching re-runs today.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I read Melissa's book but didn't know Alison had one too - I've got to get it! I loved that show and still enjoy watching re-runs today.
    Arngrim's book is called "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch." Be forewarned that she dealt with abuse as a kid, so it's not all fun and games, but a lot of it is very amusing. To say her family was unconventional is a gross understatement. And it is kind of nice to hear from someone who had some horrendous experiences as a child and came through it basically intact and successful, personally and professionally.
    jucamer likes this.

I can't wait to see my Maks and Melissa tonight!

Oh and Val too!
    karalott and AZChristian like this.

Arngrim's book is called "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch." Be forewarned that she dealt with abuse as a kid, so it's not all fun and games, but a lot of it is very amusing. To say her family was unconventional is a gross understatement. And it is kind of nice to hear from someone who had some horrendous experiences as a child and came through it basically intact and successful, personally and professionally.

I bought the book today - thanks Tilden! I'll let you know what I thought of it.

+ Reply to Thread