+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    That's exactly what I do NOT want to see happen. If he's leaving, then he should make it official and be done with it. He has no right to steal the spotlight from the rest of the season, and hijack all the publicity for the show between now and the fall. No pro is big enough that they have that right.

The show is called Dancing with the Stars, not the Pros.
    BUT - if he wasn't big enough he wouldn't hijack the publicity. But he is and the show would lose many viewers if he was gone.......

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    BUT - if he wasn't big enough he wouldn't hijack the publicity. But he is and the show would lose many viewers if he was gone.......
    That's what his fans would like to think, but I'm saying he shouldn't try to pull focus, whether he actually succeeds or not.

The trouble is, it's not so much him, as it is his publicist who is dropping the real pot-stirring tweets before the season is over. After the finale is done, he can do/say whatever he wants. But do you think ABC wants the fans to be talking more about a dancer who isn't on the show anymore than the stars who are competing in the finals?

It's not the end of the world either way, and yes it is just a TV show, I'm just saying I didn't think it's the most professional thing to do.
    karalott likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

That's what his fans would like to think, but I'm saying he shouldn't try to pull focus, whether he actually succeeds or not.

The trouble is, it's not so much him, as it is his publicist who is dropping the real pot-stirring tweets before the season is over. After the finale is done, he can do/say whatever he wants. But do you think ABC wants the fans to be talking more about a dancer who isn't on the show anymore than the stars who are competing in the finals?

It's not the end of the world either way, and yes it is just a TV show, I'm just saying I didn't think it's the most professional thing to do.
    Well I have no love for Lizzie that's for sure especially after her Hampton's "accident". I wish Maks had a different publicist - I don't like that woman at ALL. I do agree that if he is leaving this is not the right time to publicize it. He still has to appear with Melissa in the finale & I wouldn't want to see him burning any bridges - even when they treated him so badly. The day after the show ends is soon enough.. I will not watch if he leaves - I have no reason to. I don't really care for any of the pros all that much and this show is SO screwed up and so not the way it used to be that I wouldn't even miss it. I would just miss chatting with you all during the show - that was fun..
    Last edited by jucamer; 05-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Everyone I know that watches DWTS, even the Derek fans, have told me they won't watch the show anymore if Maks isn't on it.

Those same people cannot stand CA or Bruno. So, apparently, the combination of CA and Bruno without Maks on the show will have an impact on viewership ... it's already down from previous seasons.

Tom said last season he thought the show should only be on once a year, if that's the future for the show, it's better for the pro's go now and find something that is worthwhile, rather than hang on to a show that's on it's last leg anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I am curious why they weren't on Kimmel, especially since Tom mentioned it, and, as Ariel pointed out, Jimmy didn't even say anything about DWTS last night. I remember that Hope/Maks didn't make the interview rounds because the show didn't allow it, but I don't see why Melissa and Roshon didn't get to do Kimmel. They were on GMA this morning. Unless Kimmel and co. wanted to devote as much time to Johnny Depp as possible instead of going through the standard interview of how they liked dancing alongside Urkel and the ritual of burning their dancing shoes
    As hard as this may be to believe ( ), I was A-OK with that!
    karalott and AZChristian like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    Everyone I know that watches DWTS, even the Derek fans, have told me they won't watch the show anymore if Maks isn't on it.

Those same people cannot stand CA or Bruno. So, apparently, the combination of CA and Bruno without Maks on the show will have an impact on viewership ... it's already down from previous seasons.

Tom said last season he thought the show should only be on once a year, if that's the future for the show, it's better for the pro's go now and find something that is worthwhile, rather than hang on to a show that's on it's last leg anyway.
    I see a lot of people say the show should do a once a year format. I believe a lot of the international versions do there's once a year. I know Strictly Come Dancing does, and they've actually seen a ratings increase the last two years. They have a new producer and some of their pros are going to be getting the ax, which is what I think should happen here. I think some of the pros will be okay, but for those that want to hang in the limelight, watch them appear in any other pseudo-celebrity related competition show. Julianne has done moderately well (I heard she has another new movie out?), Derek has a movie coming out this fall and he'll probably do okay in the meantime. A few of the pros seem content to just go back into obscurity and have no problem continuing in the dance business. Mark, Val, and Lacey both have music ambitions, but not sure how that'll go for them. But the show isn't going to hang onto the pros forever. In that article that talked about how the pros star power can overshadow the celeb they're paired with, TPTB made it clear that anytime one of the pros get "too big for their britches" they knock them down to size, either by sidelining them and bringing in someone new, or giving them the worst of the worst from that year's crop. I don't think it's any surprise or secret why the likes of Mark, Derek, Maks, and Cheryl mainly get the partners and do so well every year. It's a TV show, and like any reality show, being young, pretty and popular with the viewers helps make it successful. Or at least, that seemed to be the trend for awhile.

As I've said before, I don't think one pro makes or breaks the show. The biggest factor I've seen people tuning out is simple fatigue. Not just with DWTS, but with reality TV in general. It's on twice a year, and unless there's a celeb they're really interested in, they aren't going to bother. We could insert the judges comments from season 10 into this season, and realize it's the same script they've been reading from. Only difference is the stooges get a little louder, more obnoxious, arrogant, and overbearing with each passing season, and being able to feed their egos by using fancy paddles to unevenly score couples who are looking to win a tacky trophy. The judges, the same pros advancing every season, the singers, and the staleness of the dances are other reasons I've seen people tune out. Last season, even with controversial cast member Chaz Bono and the good side of stunt casting J.R. Martinez couldn't see a ratings spike. That season was down from season 12, and the current season is down from last season. I think the celebs ultimately make or break a season, and then add other little factors into it, and there go the ratings.

I will greatly miss Maks is he's gone. If there's no celebs I care for, and if there aren't any of my favorite pros who look like they might finally win, I may take the fall off from this show. But even without Maks, I might still watch. I'm not expecting anything to happen with the 3 stooges, or for the band to learn to sing on key, or for the show to go back to being unpredictable. At least there's Youtube to go down memory lane with
    Bet2Win likes this.

I have been to a few groups about DWTS and really Maks leaving -staying- going.It isn't a big deal right now I guess we( they ) are all focused on this season still. You can only cry wolf so many times, and then people get bored with the silly games. Isn't this the way this season started off? is he or isn't he? It would have survived either way. I am sure it was nice for his fans to have him on though.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    TPTB know who they've cast. They have asked the questions and watched the applicants walk. Are they graceful, or do they slouch and shuffle. Is their body supple, muscular or heavy? From those casting evaluations, much like on The Bachelor franchise, they can make some pretty good guesses as to who will go far and who will stumble by the wayside. If Maks was told at some point about some contestant that he had a participant, but not a winner, that should be a huge clue that there were others who were
    Derek plays the role of good guy and Maks is the villain... just like in a movie... except every season has the same storyline. That's boring and predictable. The producers probably would like it if Derek won every season, but they don't want to be that obvious.

The show is called Dancing with the Stars, not the Pros.
    I don't know, at this point, the audience knows all of the pros better than the stars. For many fans, I think they're the stars now. There have been quite a few relatively unknown "stars" over the seasons who weren't as well known as their professional partners!

I can't blame Maks for NOT announcing his decision to stay or go right now. He's still very emotional, I'm sure. Not a good time to make a major decision.

I have to say that his departure would make me consider not watching. He's really the last pro that I really love. I like some of the others, but not many of the new ones (Damian is the exception). Without Maks, Edyta and Jonathan, it's not the same show for me. Some of the other pros left do nothing for me. Especially Mark and Derek. I just never liked Derek. I can't explain it. I know he's a good dancer, choreographer, etc. and I think he's nice looking, but I don't find him sexy or interesting at all. I wouldn't want to date him or even hang out with him. The same cannot be said for many other dancers on the show, including Maks.

I'm sad to see M&M get eliminated, but I knew that the 2 couples who got eliminated this week would be the ones to go. As much as I like Melissa, she's just not up to the level of the rest of the contestants.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    . Without Maks, Edyta and Jonathan, it's not the same show for me. Some of the other pros left do nothing for me. Especially Mark and Derek. I just never liked Derek. I can't explain it. I know he's a good dancer, choreographer, etc. and I think he's nice looking, but I don't find him sexy or interesting at all. I wouldn't want to date him or even hang out with him. The same cannot be said for many other dancers on the show, including Maks.
    I agree with your whole post, but this statement sums up my feelings perfectly.
    Florimel, Nice'n'Easy and Alexxxx like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread