+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Maks can't win no matter what he does or how he acts. If he's outspoken, he's a sore loser. If he says nothing, he's a poor sport. The judges, especially CA, hasn't really done anything to earn respect. And he isn't the only one who may be bitter because they aren't getting the scores they think they deserve. Bristol/Mark were the worst offenders there (not to mention Mark when he was partnered with Chelsea). I don't think at it as Maks's poisoning his partners against the judges, more like the judges have a beef with him and won't give his partner a fair shake. Last week, they give constructive criticism to other celebs, but with Melissa, they have to totally knock her performance. Whether she deserved it or not, they aren't consistant. However, it's a script, and Melissa isn't the chosen one they want to win or keep going in the competition. She probably will be gone this week during the double elimination.

I have to disagree about Melissa/Maks's chemistry and whether she's having fun. If anything is draining her fun, I'd blame it on the judges. She can't win with them and she knows it and I don't blame her for going lifeless and looking terrified on the floor. Even at her best, they're bound to find something wrong. Even if it's a lift. They seem to have a lot of fun behind the scenes. It is just a fun TV show, but if anything ruins it for the celebs, it's the judges and producers who take it seriously when they want to, and try and pretend it's a dance competition when they want to. The best dancers often bore me week after week, especially when the judges gush as though they were amazed and didn't expect them to pull that off. Melissa/Donald/Maria would be my ideal final 3, but I think it'll be either Donald/Maria and then William and Katherine, and one of them winning.

FORT Fogey

I don't care about the Maks-judges rift. If the problem is so severe, the producers would not invite him to each season and if they did, he would not have to agree to join the cast . I recall that both parties were playing games right before the season started. He alleged that he had not been invited to return. I guess both parties wanted to see the public's reaction. Again it is all drama for ratings
    fireflyer likes this.

I never disliked Maks, but when I really started to like him was when he appeared in The Superstars in 2009 in which celebrities were paired with pro athletes in a variety of sports competitions. In every episode of this show, I saw Maks take a back seat to his professional partner (Kristi Leskinen, freestyle skiier), take all her instruction, do everything she asked without complaint, and treat her and his fellow contestants with respect. As the amateur, he gave to his pro partner exactly what he expect from his amateur partners on DWTS. As it turned out, they won the compeition; if I recall correctly Julio Inglesias and his partner (Brandi Chastain, I think) were second. Maks won me over during that show.
    combatcutie, Alexxxx and Midol like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Regular

As far as I know, Max has never flipped the judges off when he didn't get his way. He tries to defend his celebrity and questions the judges to try to help his partner. He has even told the judges that if it is just the choreography they need to say that to him and not the celeb.

I get confused when the judges praise a celeb for improving and then give them a lower score than the week before. What kind of message is this giving the celeb.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't care about the Maks-judges rift. If the problem is so severe, the producers would not invite him to each season and if they did, he would not have to agree to join the cast . I recall that both parties were playing games right before the season started. He alleged that he had not been invited to return. I guess both parties wanted to see the public's reaction. Again it is all drama for ratings
    I said pretty much the same thing .if this is all so unbearable for both sides, and the fans think every season is unjust Why even go back there?

I sometimes think its all set up, for the drama and ratings , that you made mention of..jmho
    fireflyer likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    That is the problem with Maks, DWTS is a television show. There needs to be showmanship and it is not the person with the best dance who wins. It is the person with the most fans who wins. Most people who watch DWTS are not technical or ball room dancers. They watch because the dances are beautiful and graceful and etc etc. DWTS is not looking for the next competitor for ballroom/classis dance competitions, it is looking to entertain the fans.

Maks does not show himself to be a team player or someone who adapts well. I am not saying he is this. But he shows himself to be this kind of person. He should be able to identify his colleagues strengths and weaknesses and work with that. Maks seems to be blind to all of this. Like he is saying. I am a perfect ballroom dancer and I do not want to be distracted from that. He needs to lighten up and entertain. Taking his shirt off is saving him much, but after a while, with other good looking men on the show, even that may not save him. no one wants more brawn that brains. He needs to develop his social skills because there is much to be desired. He cannot continue to blame others forever.. it's starting to look and feel petty.

His taste in clothes is also very dubious. This is not the first, nor second time he has come up with dodgy clothing for his partner.
    I think Maks was purposefully trying to throw it. No "pro" could be that foolish as to try to throw all manner of gymnastics into that style of dance.
    Either he is a complete moron and thought the judges would think 5 bad lifts were amazing,
    OR he KNEW Melissa wasn't mastering the basics of the dance, and decided to throw in everything and the kitchen sink,
    OR he is in large pain but didn't want to quit, and thought he could get eliminated naturally instead of being labelled a gimp quitter.

Although perhaps not having the finesse of Derek or Mark, Maks himself IS skilled enough to know that last week's performance was going to look poor. When I hear Melissa talk now, all I hear is Bad-Attitude-Hope. Why can't she just behave as gracefully as Gladys?

At this point in the show, I don't know why anyone would ever request Maks as a partner. It's a sure ticket to a negative unrewarding bitter time.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    I think Maks was purposefully trying to throw it. No "pro" could be that foolish as to try to throw all manner of gymnastics into that style of dance.
    Either he is a complete moron and thought the judges would think 5 bad lifts were amazing,
    OR he KNEW Melissa wasn't mastering the basics of the dance, and decided to throw in everything and the kitchen sink,
    OR he is in large pain but didn't want to quit, and thought he could get eliminated naturally instead of being labelled a gimp quitter.

Although perhaps not having the finesse of Derek or Mark, Maks himself IS skilled enough to know that last week's performance was going to look poor. When I hear Melissa talk now, all I hear is Bad-Attitude-Hope. Why can't she just behave as gracefully as Gladys?

At this point in the show, I don't know why anyone would ever request Maks as a partner. It's a sure ticket to a negative unrewarding bitter time.
    I can see why it's a bad time and they're bitter, but I don't blame Maks for it. And if Maks is making them bitter by telling them they deserve better from the judges, I don't see anything wrong with that. He's sticking up for his partner. Obviously, he's doing something right, because it seems every season the partner he gets requested him. And then there are those who didn't get him and are disappointed and let it be known (I still remember Macy Gray saying in front of Jonathan that when she walked into rehearsals for the first time she was expecting Maks to be there). And, Maks isn't the first one to have those feelings. I felt like Mark whining about the judges already gracious scores to Bristol rubbed off on her and made both of them think they deserved 10s. But that's why I think the judges and scoring are proving pointless. People expect to go up, not stay the same and get the same criticism and treatment week after week while the controversial stunt casting gets glossed over or the token favorites move on up every week. If the audience continues to vote them through, then the judges need something different to touch on. The judges can be gracious to one couple even if they're the worst, but another couple that may be middle of the pack gets a beat down just because. One of Steve-O's confessionals from season 8 basically mocked the judges for saying he improved on that weeks dance from the week before, yet he got exactly the same score as the week before for a dance he supposedly did better on There had to be a good reason that Maks wanted their dance style change last week, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to both their injuries and that's why he wanted the rumba instead. It could also be why it was so lift heavy, because Maks never did a lift heavy AT with his other partners since the style was introduced.

I feel like Melissa/Maks have an amazing, fun partnership, and she probably knows at this point she'll continue to be bottom of the leaderboard and can't win with the judges. And even though she knows that, it still has to be discouraging. If Maks is building her up and giving her an illusion that she's better than what the judges say, what else is he supposed to do? I don't think he'd be a very good partner if he said the judges were right, she's worthless, can't dance, and they need to be eliminated because he never wants to be in the same room with her again. Whether she deserves the negative criticism or not is a matter of opinion, but I like her, love Maks, and will keep right on voting for them. I can see why people would want Maks as a partner. Other pros, I'd have to wonder. But that's all a matter of opinion, too It's a double elimination this week, so I feel like it's finally Melissa's time. But since there's no favorite saving dance duel, I'd find it rather comical if one of the big favorites like Katherine or William got sent packing instead. I don't care about the dancing aspect much anymore. And I wouldn't even notice if those two were gone, except CA and Bruno might need to go into therapy if they lose their boy toy. But it'll probably be Roshon and Melissa "just one week shy of the semi finals" (in Tom's dramatic voice making it seem like the end of the world not to make it that far).
    Last edited by karalott; 05-07-2012 at 03:01 AM.

I just caught the latest episode on the E! program, I don't have the patience to watch the entire episode on Monday nights, these days. And although I do believe that Melissa is the weakest dancer left, I didn't think Melissa's last dance was that bad. The judges are so "ugh", (lol) I hate how they nitpick her and Maks, but give lavish praises to the others. And when I watched the result show right after, I laughed out loud and jumped for joy when M&M were safe, since the dance duel blew up right in the judges' faces. If I'm not mistaken, I even heard Len said the dance duel was "cruel", soooo it's only cruel when there are dancers in the duel that you guys want to stay, sure.

I feel really bad for Maks and Melissa, they know that no matter what they do, the judges will find something to pick on. So come tommorow, there are 4 possible scenarios I can see happening:

1)Judges praise Maks and Melissa, but give them low scores. (If they praise them, the judges will probably believe their fans won't vote as much, but they are given the lowest scores, so there is no possible chance that they can catch up to the others, this scenario I can see most likely)
    2)Judges nitpick Maks and Melissa, but gives them a decent score (they nitpick, and then surprise! M&M are given a higher score than they thought, fans will believe that the M&M will be safe, etc.)
    3)Judges praise Maks and Melisa, and gives them a decent score (Praise + decent score, most likely their scores will be the lowest overall, but if they are praised I feel their fans don't feel it's necessary to vote, etc.,etc.)
    4)Judges nitpick Maks and Melissa, and gives them a low score (I don't believe this one will happen, since the fans might not like the comments and they keep on voting and the judges really want them out)
    karalott, AZChristian and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Maks can't win no matter what he does or how he acts. If he's outspoken, he's a sore loser. If he says nothing, he's a poor sport. The judges, especially CA, hasn't really done anything to earn respect. And he isn't the only one who may be bitter because they aren't getting the scores they think they deserve. Bristol/Mark were the worst offenders there (not to mention Mark when he was partnered with Chelsea). I don't think at it as Maks's poisoning his partners against the judges, more like the judges have a beef with him and won't give his partner a fair shake. Last week, they give constructive criticism to other celebs, but with Melissa, they have to totally knock her performance. Whether she deserved it or not, they aren't consistant. However, it's a script, and Melissa isn't the chosen one they want to win or keep going in the competition. She probably will be gone this week during the double elimination.

I have to disagree about Melissa/Maks's chemistry and whether she's having fun. If anything is draining her fun, I'd blame it on the judges. She can't win with them and she knows it and I don't blame her for going lifeless and looking terrified on the floor. Even at her best, they're bound to find something wrong. Even if it's a lift. They seem to have a lot of fun behind the scenes. It is just a fun TV show, but if anything ruins it for the celebs, it's the judges and producers who take it seriously when they want to, and try and pretend it's a dance competition when they want to. The best dancers often bore me week after week, especially when the judges gush as though they were amazed and didn't expect them to pull that off. Melissa/Donald/Maria would be my ideal final 3, but I think it'll be either Donald/Maria and then William and Katherine, and one of them winning.
    Very well said. I couldn't agree more.
    jucamer likes this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

I think what the show may be underestimating is the number of Little House on the Prairie fans there are out there. Melissa may have more of a voting bloc than they realize. I know other people who appeared on the show, such as Alison Arngrim, have mentioned how surprised they continue to be at the sheer number of people all over the world who hold that show very dear.

I watched the show when it was on and have occasionally caught the reruns, but I wouldn't vote for someone just based on that. However, it's quite possible there are a large number of people who might.

Actually, I haven't really voted for anyone for the past several weeks, just because I'm not all that interested this season. Not sure why. I guess none of the couples have been terrible to the degree that some have been in the past, but no one has really caught my overwhelming attention either. Doesn't have anything to do with anyone's dancing, which has been pretty good all around. It's more my personal tastes, I suppose. No one has danced a dance that has really captured me the way, say, Gilles/Cheryl's AT did or the tribute dance J.R./Karina did last year in honor of those troops who never make it back home.

This season, there's no one I desperately want to win but there's no one I desperately don't want to win either.

+ Reply to Thread