+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 323
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

  1. #191
    Bigfoot love DWTS! RickiRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    336

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    According to Maks, it's his style. Which, he might have a point. I've long thought Maks and some of the old school pros want to keep it real and accurate and just dance. Rather than throw in props, gimmicks, messing about, and seeing dancers get a relatively high score for not even doing the dance, while a better dancer gets lowballed for not throwing in hip hop moves.
    Mak's traditional style may be the roots of the conflict, but at this point I think it is a minor issue.

    The last few seasons the far bigger issue is that Maks choreographs routines for his partner that are just not good at showcasing his partner's skills, and when it doesn't work out as well as he hoped and the judges call him on it he doesn't take it as constructive criticism but instead feeds his belief that they are out to get him because his style is too traditional. The judges gradually become more and more annoyed that he doesn't listen to their advice, so their comments get harsher each season, and Maks becomes more convinced that they just don't like him and his traditional dance moves. The cycle continues and the tone gets worse and worse.

    Notice that many of the judge's harsh comments are not really about the quality of dance moves, or his partner's skills, but the choreography. Sometimes they directly call this out but more often the criticism is mixed in the hyperbole. The audience may not see that they are directly criticizing Maks, but he sees it.

    This week was typical. The types of lifts and moves he put in this dance were crazy for someone of her age and skill. It looked bad. When CA said it look like Cirque du Soleil, she wasn't saying that they messed up some lifts, she was saying that the moves were too acrobatic and bizarre. I don't usually like CAs comments, especially when she addresses Maks, but she was right. By far the biggest opportunity for improvement in that routine is the choreography, not the execution.

    This looks to be a permanent impasse.
    maude~flanders and Living like this.

  2. #192
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,194

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Very well said RickiRick.

    This week was typical. The types of lifts and moves he put in this dance were crazy for someone of her age and skill. It looked bad. When CA said it look like Cirque du Soleil, she wasn't saying that they messed up some lifts, she was saying that the moves were too acrobatic and bizarre

    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  3. #193
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,755

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Kudos to all of you Melissa Gilbert (...and Max) fans. WOW! You guys rock!

    Clearly, the judges wanted her gone this week and, try as they may, it didn't happen. I'm glad!

    Was her performance(s) the worst of the group? Probably. But, when the judges blatantly underscore a contestant....the public reacts. YAY!
    If we had a vote on Celebrity Apprentice, Lisa and Aubrey would have been gone by now. In some ways, I see this strong vote FOR M&M as America's vote AGAINST the bullying they receive at the hands of the judges. So many news articles this week have referred to the unexplainable demeaning that the judges have done towards Melissa.

    "Roshon . . . you need to work on your arm extensions . . . "
    "Jaleel . . . your dancing is inconsistent from week to week . . . "
    "Melissa . . . this was like the Cirque du Soleil gone terrible wrong . . . " So where is there any critique in that which would tell her WHAT she needs to improve?

    For the record, as much as I LOVE watching Maks dance, I do feel that Melissa is probably the weakest dancer at this point. But what angers me is not the low scores, it's the overscoring of the more favored dancers, combined with the nastiness of the comments directed towards Melissa which - IMO - are an attempt to slap Maks down.

    /rant

  4. #194
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,149

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Kudos to all of you Melissa Gilbert (...and Max) fans. WOW! You guys rock!

    Clearly, the judges wanted her gone this week and, try as they may, it didn't happen. I'm glad!

    Was her performance(s) the worst of the group? Probably. But, when the judges blatantly underscore a contestant....the public reacts. YAY!
    I agree.

    I enjoyed seeing Melissa and Maks dance and I think the judges comments were what they would have been no matter what the dance was like. They are geared to dis them, IMO.


    I'm so happy the judges wishes were ignored. I hope they are on a roll!

  5. #195
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    Mak's traditional style may be the roots of the conflict, but at this point I think it is a minor issue.

    The last few seasons the far bigger issue is that Maks choreographs routines for his partner that are just not good at showcasing his partner's skills, and when it doesn't work out as well as he hoped and the judges call him on it he doesn't take it as constructive criticism but instead feeds his belief that they are out to get him because his style is too traditional. The judges gradually become more and more annoyed that he doesn't listen to their advice, so their comments get harsher each season, and Maks becomes more convinced that they just don't like him and his traditional dance moves. The cycle continues and the tone gets worse and worse.

    Notice that many of the judge's harsh comments are not really about the quality of dance moves, or his partner's skills, but the choreography. Sometimes they directly call this out but more often the criticism is mixed in the hyperbole. The audience may not see that they are directly criticizing Maks, but he sees it.

    This week was typical. The types of lifts and moves he put in this dance were crazy for someone of her age and skill. It looked bad. When CA said it look like Cirque du Soleil, she wasn't saying that they messed up some lifts, she was saying that the moves were too acrobatic and bizarre. I don't usually like CA’s comments, especially when she addresses Maks, but she was right. By far the biggest opportunity for improvement in that routine is the choreography, not the execution.

    This looks to be a permanent impasse.
    Unfortunately, Mak's is one dimensional. I do not think he is capable of the diversity in creating an interesting and varied routine. Even when he has had the chance to get close to the mirrored ball trophy, his cheography has let him down. Being very insular, he thinks everything is about him and takes matters personally. He needs to lighten up and try some fun routines and play to his partners strengths and cover their weaknesses. He and everyone will have more fun then.
    maude~flanders likes this.

  6. #196
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,194

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    He needs to lighten up and try some fun routines and play to his partners strengths and cover their weaknesses. He and everyone will have more fun then.
    Absolutely! He doesn't seem able to do this though - then he gets frustrated with everyone , himself , his partner and of course the judges. I gather its never ever him that is wrong
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  7. #197
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    I haven't had a chance to read the show discussion thread so if this was mentioned there, my apologies. But that costume Melissa wore really played into the poor look of the routine. Really, Maks was lifting her about, the garment was slipping to reveal what truly looked as if she was wearing a high-wasted, full-brief adult diaper under that dress (?). Don't the costume stylists and the dancers discuss what is the most appropriate apparel for each specific routine? And who makes the final decision?

    I think she/Maks are being set-up to fail, by TPTB orchestrating all aspects.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  8. #198
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,194

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read the show discussion thread so if this was mentioned there, my apologies. But that costume Melissa wore really played into the poor look of the routine. Really, Maks was lifting her about, the garment was slipping to reveal what truly looked as if she was wearing a high-wasted, full-brief adult diaper under that dress (?). Don't the costume stylists and the dancers discuss what is the most appropriate apparel for each specific routine? And who makes the final decision?

    I think she/Maks are being set-up to fail, by TPTB orchestrating all aspects.
    Yes. They all meet with the costume designers. Each pair meet with them for half an hour and decide. So please dont just blame TPTB.They did have input!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  9. #199
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Yes. They all meet with the costume designers. Each pair meet with them for half an hour and decide. So please dont just blame TPTB.They did have input!
    But they should be able to trust that the stylist will make suitable recommendations in that half hour. I think the focus is partially functionality. For example, Maks would probably be knowledgeable about what would best facilitate the movement included in the choreography. But a stylist should be able to assist in helping them select something that is age and body type appropriate.

    I do root for Maks and Melissa. I think he is, euphemistically speaking, under-appreciated and as for Melissa, I think I have Michael Landon looking over my shoulder.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #200
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,194

    Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    But they should be able to trust that the stylist will make suitable recommendations in that half hour. I think the focus is partially functionality. For example, Maks would probably be knowledgeable about what would best facilitate the movement included in the choreography. But a stylist should be able to assist in helping them select something that is age and body type appropriate.

    I saw the 20/20 special and thats what everyone has.Its a collaboration between the designer and the couples. Of course they have to trust, I doubt the costume department deliberately set out to make a gawd awful dress. I mean Donald and Peta looked like the King and I.Did they blame wardrobe? or perhaps it looked better on paper? all these excuses. I don't get it. I like Mark( I know one of the few) I am the first to say their costumes looked awful, perhaps their idea was great, but when it was on, not so good.

    We all have our faves but I dont think Maks is non stop without fault.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.