+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree737Likes

Thread: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

Re: Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 14

I guess its a matter of opinion who is the better choreographer, Derek or Maks. Maks' choregraphy doesn't center on himself. He plays to his partners strengths and weaknesses. He is just that hot. He could stand there and do nothing and I would drool. Maks also is more of a traditional ballroom dancer. He actually will choregraph the dance to the dance they are suppose to be doing. Half the time when I watch Derek (if I'm not fast forwarding through him) I never see that many elements of what they are suppose to be doing in the dance.

Guess I'm a little more traditional. When the pair are suppose to be doing a cha cha, I want to see a cha cha. I don't want to see a broadway production.

When Derek gets a Kate Gosslin type dancer and still produces the numbers he does then I might be impressed. It is easy to say he is a great choregrapher when he has never had a "challenging" partner to teach.
    Some Heros wear capes....mine wears combat boots and kevlar....

Quote Originally Posted by BTW View Post
    Talk of wanting a woman to win this time. Why not Melissa? I really needn't have asked that though Especially because Maks is not a judge favorite. Scoring is so obviously lopsided toward their favorites. She is improving, and Maks is great to watch. It would be an interesting upset. What really turns me off, is Katherine and Maria are the only ones mentioned to take the win for the gals. That means their privileged partners will be smuggly strutting their stuff with the trophy "again". Another reason to switch the channel.
    She has such an uncomfortable look when dancing, and such a bland relationship with Maks that she may not even outlast Gladys. While I think some of Maria and Katherine's scores have been too generous, I don't see the same level of anti-Maks scores that we saw in previous seasons. In some ways she reminds me of Hope--has some skills, not doing too bad technically, but just doesn't look impressive on the floor.
    Living and Midol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    That is exactly it. Maks is not the one to be scored. his partner is. So by taking the limelight from her, she does not shine. Derek ensures that his partner shines and that is why he tends to get good marks. of course Derek's choreography is far superior to Maks's ability, so Derek is able to adapt and choreograph to suit different partners. bringing out their strengths whereas Maks just thinks of himself and maybe is limited to the one level of choreography. Or maybe he does not even see/know the strengths and weaknesses of his partner, so he cheographs what he has in his head without reality. beats me.
    And why Derek has had TWO Emmy nominations for his choreography. His partners always look wonderful. I think Maks is old school, but he was out dancing Melissa last week. I looked at it again as I FF through those two, and separated he was very showy - like Mark is accused of. Each to their own I guess. I know who is the better choreographer

She has such an uncomfortable look when dancing, and such a bland relationship with Maks that she may not even outlast Gladys.
    Yes, she looks very uncomfortable.She says she is having fun, I dont see it.
    Living likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was actually very pleased to see how well Melissa came back this week after last week's injury. She had reduced practice time compared to the other contestants and yet she made the most of it. She also did not shy away from moves similar to the one she was injured on. Bravo for her. I don't think she has the talent to make it to the finals, but I admire her spirit and determination. I really hope she's having fun.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post
    She has such an uncomfortable look when dancing, and such a bland relationship with Maks that she may not even outlast Gladys. While I think some of Maria and Katherine's scores have been too generous, I don't see the same level of anti-Maks scores that we saw in previous seasons. In some ways she reminds me of Hope--has some skills, not doing too bad technically, but just doesn't look impressive on the floor.
    I'm actually surprised when I keep reading that people think Melissa/Maks are a bland pair. I think it's been one of his better partnerships. Now, I will agree that Melissa tends to overthink and freeze on the dance floor, but I think she's loosening up and starting to find her way. I mentioned this in the results show thread, but watching her and Maks before and after their salsa this week is the type of banter and carefree attitude she needs to bring to her dancing. I think they have a fun partnership. He wasn't this active with Hope last year on twtter IIRC. I get the same vibe from him with Melissa as I did with Kirstie, Erin, and Mel. I really can't wait to see their VW this week, and will vote my fingers off in hopes they avoid the bottom 3.

When Derek gets a Kate Gosslin type dancer and still produces the numbers he does then I might be impressed. It is easy to say he is a great choregrapher when he has never had a "challenging" partner to teach.
    Bingo. All of the pros can put together amazing routines without showboating the props and showcasing themselves when they get a proper partner. Tristan is having to dumb down his choreography just so Gladys can keep up. Tony had to do the same with Kate and probably his slew of other duds. I think all the pros are amazing dancers and choreographers, but all but Derek have at least had a hard challenge. He's never had anyone that was just unteachable where the judges couldn't overlook or sugarcoat their dances.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    I was actually very pleased to see how well Melissa came back this week after last week's injury. She had reduced practice time compared to the other contestants I don't think she has the talent to make it to the finals
    I heard she was back the next day, so I am not sure how reduced her practice was. There are a lot of them dancing hurt.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I doubt anyone else has anything as serious as a concussion. And I'm sure she couldn't go full out for a few days. Considering what she went through and the shortened rehearsal time, she did a fabulous job.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

"He is brilliant, difficult, smart, funny, charming, petulant, generous to a fault, funny and demanding."

She forgot HOT!!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Maks has a losing battle with the judges and producers, so I'm glad he's laughing it off and not even giving them more ammo. Once again, if all was fair and normal in the scoring world, I would have been perfectly happy with a 24. But this dance was not 1 point better than Gladys (and 3 points overall). This was her best dance yet, and deserved a 9 somewhere. I voted for them like crazy, and hope they can avoid the bottom 2 all together tomorrow. Their only hope of staying in is either to go against Gladys, or for the other couple to completely mess up. Hopefully they do like last week, and announce them safe first, so I can watch my results show in peace
    Coco46 and jucamer like this.

+ Reply to Thread