+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 90
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

  1. #61
    FORT Fanatic Pandora2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    573

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    I don't know anything about dance and I've never heard of half of this lineup, but my money is on Martina. Trained athletes always seem to do very well, and I swear that woman's body will do whatever she tells it to do!

  2. #62
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    As a Brit. I have dark humour, that isnt often seen that way. I know Tristan made a few jokes last season that didnt quite fly.But then some of that was to Brooke
    And now I will be reading all your posts with a british accent! Ha!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2
    I don't know anything about dance and I've never heard of half of this lineup, but my money is on Martina. Trained athletes always seem to do very well, and I swear that woman's body will do whatever she tells it to do!
    Did you happen to see Monica Seles? She was awful! I also have high hopes for Martina though, if not just to do better than Monica.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  3. #63
    FORT Regular Elsa66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    50

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    And wasn't tennis player Martina Hingis booted first with Matthew Cutler during her season on Strictly? It's weird to me that female athletes, some of them anyway - and these two tennis players were really bad!, are so seemingly uncoordinated when it comes to dancing. I guess coordination in one area does not necessarily transfer to another. I thought Hope Solo was pretty awful, too - I agreed with Len in one of his critiques, she was floppy and "filleted" and sort of falling all over the place in Latin's. I was really stunned. Come on, Martina, change my newfound belief that tennis players can't dance. (There was a male tennis player, real tall, on Strictly, whose name I can't remember, as he was mainly just known in Britain I think - but he wasn't any good either. And neither was Mark somebody, an Olympic swimmer - so it's not just women athletes.)
    JunkieGirl likes this.

  4. #64
    FORT Fanatic Pandora2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    573

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    Well that's true... there have been some flops among the athletes. I guess I was thinking about the ones who are obsessed with training their bodies -- like Apolo Ohno. Martina seems to be of that ilk. Maybe Monica Seles is just a natural talent on the tennic court who doesn't need to work that hard off the court.

    Totally uneducated thought though, as I didn't see her dance and I don't know much about her tennis career. Just my 2 cents. :-)

  5. #65
    FORT Fogey nanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    Another reason I think atheletes do so well is their competitive nature. The funny thing is, being competitive on this show can actually hinder you when you go too far. I think it affected Hope and I know it affected Brandy.

    IMO, competitive so that you have a strong work ethic=good. Competitive so you "try too hard" and don't connect with the dance and "feel it" rather than just attacking it=bad.
    JunkieGirl and Pandora2 like this.

  6. #66
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    IMO it's harder for women on this show, athlete or not. Sensuality/sexuality which is a part of many dances is difficult for most of them on national TV, no less. Being vulnerable and open to the feeling of the dance, to let go is hard to do. For women athletes they are trained to show no emotions, to stay focused so it's much harder for them change their focus onto expression/emotions. I would think that solo sports people might be a bit harder to train for this, as their performance is all about them. Apolo is just a freak of nature, that guy could do anything he sets his mind to. He is still my fave winner!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  7. #67
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,156

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2 View Post
    Well that's true... there have been some flops among the athletes. I guess I was thinking about the ones who are obsessed with training their bodies -- like Apolo Ohno. Martina seems to be of that ilk. Maybe Monica Seles is just a natural talent on the tennic court who doesn't need to work that hard off the court.

    Totally uneducated thought though, as I didn't see her dance and I don't know much about her tennis career. Just my 2 cents. :-)
    They showed Martina practising last night She was looking pretty good.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  8. #68
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    DancingDad and jucamer like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  9. #69
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,156

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    The show needs its numbers, I imagine they will say anything( tune in and see) to get them. I doubt she will even watch let alone be there.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  10. #70
    FORT Fanatic DancingDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dancing on Ice
    Age
    59
    Posts
    554

    Re: Are you all happy with this season 14 cast

    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    IMO it's harder for women on this show, athlete or not. Sensuality/sexuality which is a part of many dances is difficult for most of them on national TV, no less. Being vulnerable and open to the feeling of the dance, to let go is hard to do. For women athletes they are trained to show no emotions, to stay focused so it's much harder for them change their focus onto expression/emotions. I would think that solo sports people might be a bit harder to train for this, as their performance is all about them. Apolo is just a freak of nature, that guy could do anything he sets his mind to. He is still my fave winner!
    The female athletes that have done the best on this show have been from sports that have an aspect on performing in them: Kristi Yamaguchi - figure skating, Shawn Johnson - gymnastics. Kristi was so far above the competition in her season that the rest of the field was vying for second place.
    JunkieGirl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.