+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars 14 (Spring 2012)* Spoilers & Speculation

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: *Dancing With the Stars 14 (Spring 2012)* Spoilers & Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Gawd, that makes me feel so old. That show is old, so it's not surprising that Maks didn't watch it, but to have not even heard of her? I know she isn't all that high profile, but still.

As for gifting him the whole series, I highly doubt he'll ever watch it. Send it to me Maks. I'd watch.
    127649_2575 - First Rehearsals - Dancing With The Stars - ABC.com

Here are the first rehearsal photos, which shows Melissa giving Maks the DVD set and her autobiography. I could see Maks watching some of it, though I doubt he'd ever sit through the entire series.

I can sort of see how Maks, or someone in his position, has never even heard of her. While Melissa has stayed active and continued making a presence on the small screen (something a lot of the "stars" can't claim), I don't know that she's done anything huge that would have given her as much name recognition as Little House did. That show was before my time, but my mom remains a huge fan of it, and I loved the Little House books as a kid, so I knew of Melissa that way. But if it weren't for that, I'm not sure I'd be all that familar with her. Although I can relate to you on the old feeling, when I think how young I was when I watched Family Matters for the first time in its first season, and seeing little Steve Urkel all grown up. I wonder if we don't get the Urkel dance if he'll at least polka?

As for dances, we're up to Jack, Martina, and Sherri confirmed for the foxtrot (and by the looks of the photos it seems like Donald has the foxtrot, too). Maria and Melissa are the only celebs I've seen so far confirmed for the cha cha. I don't know what the week 2 dances will be, but it looked like Martina was practicing jive kicks in those photos (I'm no expert so I could be way off). It'll be interesting if having a second week of performances helps or hurts the couples, depending what their dances are. I think fanbases are really going to be more important these first few weeks than they've been in the last few seasons, especially with the cast seeming to be the most well known in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    127649_2575 - First Rehearsals - Dancing With The Stars - ABC.com

Here are the first rehearsal photos, which shows Melissa giving Maks the DVD set and her autobiography. I could see Maks watching some of it, though I doubt he'd ever sit through the entire series.

I can sort of see how Maks, or someone in his position, has never even heard of her. While Melissa has stayed active and continued making a presence on the small screen (something a lot of the "stars" can't claim), I don't know that she's done anything huge that would have given her as much name recognition as Little House did. That show was before my time, but my mom remains a huge fan of it, and I loved the Little House books as a kid, so I knew of Melissa that way. But if it weren't for that, I'm not sure I'd be all that familar with her. Although I can relate to you on the old feeling, when I think how young I was when I watched Family Matters for the first time in its first season, and seeing little Steve Urkel all grown up. I wonder if we don't get the Urkel dance if he'll at least polka?

As for dances, we're up to Jack, Martina, and Sherri confirmed for the foxtrot (and by the looks of the photos it seems like Donald has the foxtrot, too). Maria and Melissa are the only celebs I've seen so far confirmed for the cha cha. I don't know what the week 2 dances will be, but it looked like Martina was practicing jive kicks in those photos (I'm no expert so I could be way off). It'll be interesting if having a second week of performances helps or hurts the couples, depending what their dances are. I think fanbases are really going to be more important these first few weeks than they've been in the last few seasons, especially with the cast seeming to be the most well known in a long time.

OMG Laura Ingalls has tatoo's????? And Maks' smile just makes me

FORT Fogey

Actually, Little House on the Prairie is better known internationally than one would think. Alison Arngrim (Nellie Olsen) talks about that in her autobiography. Nellie is particularly popular in France, for instance. According to Arngrim, they don't think she's bitchy--they just think she's French.
    jucamer likes this.

Little House on the Prairie is still shown almost daily on one channel or another here in the U.S., but I doubt it's a show Maks would choose to view in whatever time he has open for tv watching. Melissa has been quite active over the years and I agree that most of her on screen work has been for tv movies, but she's also been a force off screen. She was president of SAG for a good many years.

I found I actually do know most of the cast with the exception of the Disney kid. It's really hard to see that so many people can't appreciate the talent that came before their own generation. I'm thrilled to see Martina, who may well be the best female tennis player ever (and she did it without grunts and screeches). Also delighted to see Gladys Knight appear anywhere. I'm eager to see what Katherine can do as a dancer; she's such a fantastic singer. There really are no celebrities I want to see off my screen other than Sherri and no pro's other than Mark. All in all, it's a lot better cast than I was expecting.

Oops! Forgot to mention that I'm really looking forward to watching Donald Driver. I hope he develops into as good as dancer as most of the other NFL'ers.
    JunkieGirl and jucamer like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Little House on the Prairie is still shown almost daily on one channel or another here in the U.S., but I doubt it's a show Maks would choose to view in whatever time he has open for tv watching. Melissa has been quite active over the years and I agree that most of her on screen work has been for tv movies, but she's also been a force off screen. She was president of SAG for a good many years.

I found I actually do know most of the cast with the exception of the Disney kid. It's really hard to see that so many people can't appreciate the talent that came before their own generation. I'm thrilled to see Martina, who may well be the best female tennis player ever (and she did it without grunts and screeches). Also delighted to see Gladys Knight appear anywhere. I'm eager to see what Katherine can do as a dancer; she's such a fantastic singer. There really are no celebrities I want to see off my screen other than Sherri and no pro's other than Mark. All in all, it's a lot better cast than I was expecting.

Oops! Forgot to mention that I'm really looking forward to watching Donald Driver. I hope he develops into as good as dancer as most of the other NFL'ers.

I agree - if Mark leaves early this will be a good season I don't like Derek much either, but I can stomach him more than Mark. I am so looking forward to seeing Martina dance - it'll be a hoot just to see her in a ball gown! I had never heard of Donald Driver but when I saw him on GMA the morning of the cast reveal I found myself smiling. Can't wait until this farce of a Bachelor seaon is over and I get to see my Russian eye candies!
    karalott likes this.

I'm not surprised Maks had no idea who Melissa Gilbert is. It's not exactly a show geared toward young boys. There are probably guys who grew up in this country while the show aired who have no clue who she is. I hope for his sake that Melissa is truly good and not Jane Seymour good (eg "She did great for a woman her age."). I wish they'd give a partner on par with the ones they always give Derek and Mark. I've really begun to believe that the producers just don't want Maks to win. He does a great job with the partners he gets and, although they generally stay in the competition long enough to satisfy viewers who love him, they're never quite good enough to win. I'd love to see him get a real contender for a change.

Based on those pics, it looks like Jack Wagner at least has a good frame. Who knows if he's coordinate at all. I want Martina to do better than she probably will. Sadly, I don't think she'll be much better than Monica Selles, who was really hard to watch. Still, Martina is in incredible shape.

It seems like the producers are really making Val pay his dues with mediocre partners. Sherri Shephard will probably send me running for my remote. I like her even less than Niecy Nash.
    karalott likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If the show played fair, I'd be all about paying dues for the newbies. But since it doesn't...well, at least Val can make it past week 2 this time. Sherri should have the fans for that. It would have been nice to see Derek get a real challenge, for a change, but I've given up hoping that'll happen. I don't think he's any better than the other pros. But lucky for him, he's never had to hold back or dumb down his choreography because he had to dance with Kate Gosselin or Nancy Grace. All the pros have put together amazing routines when they've had the right partners.

Maks has really only had one serious contender, Mel B. Of course, it didn't help he went up against Julianne in her second season, when her popularity was at an all time high, and Helio. I don't know if I see Maks, Tony, or Anna ever winning. At the very least, I don't think Maks will be in the finals this season. Yahoo posted an article about those 3 and why it was time for them to finally snag the mirrorball trophy. Of course, I don't see any of them doing so this season. Right now, I'm betting on Derek or Jaleel (and as much as I love Kym, if she wins again, I'm ready for her to get a dud). It's why I'm not against a complete pro overhaul. Let everyone start fresh.
    jucamer likes this.

I don't think Maks has been all that shortchanged when it comes to partners. There's been a big difference between how some stars look on paper and how they perform. Nobody would have thought Kirstie Alley would have been any good, but her dedication and her fanbase almost won Maks his first trophy. On the flip side, Hope Solo is an athlete, and seemed like a real contender on paper. Who knew that she had absolutely no coordination? As for his other partners, I think Laila, Brandy and Erin were all contenders, but they just didn't have good luck in their seasons.

And I think I've finally figured out the pattern with which they give Derek partners. They know it would be silly (for the sake of ratings) to waste his choreography skills, so they give him someone who they think will have ability. But it's also someone who usually comes with little or no mainstream fanbase to balance things out. They have to live off Derek's fans in the early weeks, and earn their own fanbase throughout the season -- and it doesn't always work out.

With Mark, I think they just flip-flop every season. They alternate between giving him a contender and giving him a dud, because they know he will generate his own buzz either way, for better or for worse.

On paper, I'm really liking the balance of power this season. Several of the couples have the potential to dominate. It will be interesting to see who ends up having the whole package.
    JunkieGirl and Fanny Mare like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

The thing is, I don't think any one pro makes or breaks the ratings, and if Derek were the first one out, I don't think it would hurt the show at all. Season 12 had higher ratings than season 11, and Derek wasn't a part of that season. People expected the ratings to go down when Julianne left, and when Maks took a break in season 6, and when they stopped using Dmitry. But I think the cast first and foremost, and whether anyone is on Kristi Yamaguchi or Osmond level of predictability of winning, is what gives the show a boost or not. And then factor in everything else. Me? I'll still watch.

Maks has been luckier than, say Tony or Jonathan, when it comes to partner assignments. It has helped that some of those ladies requested him, or the show figured he was more valuable to keep around than sweet, even tempered, predictable Tony. But I'd love to see him just get the ringiest ringer and finally win.
    Florimel and jucamer like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

The issue with Maks is not that he hasn't had a contender. He's had a few, but he has fallen short in his free styles. He also seems very much a traditionalist, so it might be harder for him to think outside of the box. He has learned/trained so much differently than those who aren't from an Eastern Bloc country. Erin's freestyle was a disaster, Mel B could have done so much more, although she was up against Helio. With Kirstie he was so close but Hines Ward was just so much more popular. Any other footballer (not a Steeler) Maks and Kirstie may have taken it all.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    It would have been nice to see Derek get a real challenge, for a change, but I've given up hoping that'll happen.
    But how do we know that he hasn't? He may have gotten someone who can't move and is able to tap into how they learn or he is just that good of a teacher?
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread