+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: 11/22 Finale Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 11/22 Finale Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I'm so happy JR & Karina won! What a fabulous ending. Thanks everyone for your comments. I missed most of the show tonight and might actually watch it online for a change just to see the things you guys talked about that I missed.

Now I've just got a little less than 2 months to suffer with my Bachelor withdrawals.
    jucamer likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    I understand your viewpoint completely.

Yet, I also see the other side... What better way to determine who has actually acquired the most skills than to force them to dance unrehearsed? If they practice over and over and over, all we get to see is who is the better "performer". But if they're allowed no practice at all, then we truly see WHO HAS LEARNED TO DANCE.
    I think there's a way around that, if they feel the need to keep an insta-dance as part of the finals. Have all three finalists do the insta-dance, then eliminate one couple, and have the final two do their favorite dance (or freestyle or whatever). That way, you could still see who's learned to dance, but you wouldn't end with dances that aren't as polished, because they'd only had a few minutes to work on them.

WOOHOO!!! All is right with the reality TV world. Congrats to J.R. and Karina! There has never been a greater source of inspiration on this show than him, IMO, and probably never will be again. And he was a darned great dancer and entertainer to boot. Really happy a different pro got a chance at the top as well. Karina is easily among my top 3 favorite pros, choreography wise.

Wasn't surprised Ricki came in third. I still think she was very over-hyped because of Derek, but I did think she deserved the first place rank in the first round tonight. Her dance was the cleanest and sharpest.

Kudos to Rob for improving. I only hope that he is actually serious about this show changing his personal attitude and changing him as a person. Would say more on that aspect of things, but I am trying to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't think it can compare to Len's stash--I'm not hallucinating badly enough to think Rob has better footwork than any male celebrity who's ever appeared on the show, and I still don't think the band or singers sound very good.
    When Len said that, I was ready to scream! Either he's utterly delusional or he was told to say that by someone because I simply do not believe that he truly believes that. There is no way Rob was on par with people like Apolo, Drew, Gilles, or Mario, let alone better than them. Heck, I would argue there's no way he was better than Helio, Emmett, Donny, etc. (and I thought Emmett was pretty lousy). No flipping way. Just further shows the absurd measures this show took to prop him up.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    I understand your viewpoint completely.

Yet, I also see the other side... What better way to determine who has actually acquired the most skills than to force them to dance unrehearsed? If they practice over and over and over, all we get to see is who is the better "performer". But if they're allowed no practice at all, then we truly see WHO HAS LEARNED TO DANCE.
    That's a good point. But I would bet that the idea came to them this season because the dancing in general hasn't been that stellar, and they felt the need to prove that any of the three deserves the trophy. Usually the finalists are of a certain level (except Bristol of course), and there isn't a need to make the point further that they deserve to be there.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't think it can compare to Len's stash--I'm not hallucinating badly enough to think Rob has better footwork than any male celebrity who's ever appeared on the show, and I still don't think the band or singers sound very good.
    First, to your after party post. I suddenly has this visual of Maks being chased by Carson and Rob being pursued by CA. I can think of dancers Rob was better than footwork wise. But it'd be a lot shorter list than naming those better than him. I guess they wanted him to go out with the whole improvement arc. Maybe they started believing it themselves.

Just a few notes... again.

1. I think Len was forced to say that Rob was one of the best musically in his dancing that he's ever seen. Rob did show his best tonight; however he still isn't on par with other male dancers who have been on the show.

2. Seriously, Carrie Ann was still trying to find something to criticize JR for - this case a slight "Whoo" in the jive. I think even Len was a bit peeved with the comment. I don't know if it deserved third over Rob (Ricki's was best of the redo dances), but seriously... Carrie Ann just needs to get over herself there.

3. I'm glad that BOTH Karina and JR were recognized for their accomplishments. Sure It was Derek (who I thought was really classy here doing this) and Mark, but still... for the first time in a very long time (if all) BOTH were seen as the winners.

4. I loved how JR made sure Karina lifted the trophy up with him. She was going to let him shine, but he was like "Nope, we both shine" - even if toward the end he had it solo because he is a little bit taller.

5. The right winner won - but I think they need to get rid of the insta-dance for the final round. It doesn't make sense, and honestly, this should be a night where they have FUN not compete - well unless they want to do one final free for all dance.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 11-23-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    karalott and TIA__MA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeepertx View Post
    (How long have you been waiting to use that comment to match up with your "blooming avatar"?)
    OMG!!!!!!!!!

That never even crossed my MIND 'til you pointed it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Couple of other notes:

A. I loved Carson's and David's dances. They were very good, and in Carson's case he embraced his stronger assets in the dance area. (and yes, I noticed he did better in the female type role, but still... he durn near effortlessly picked up and spun Anna in that one lift). Felt bad for Anna though - she tripped or something and fell on the stair during the routine. Fortunately, Carson was dancing funny enough that it was a blink and you'll miss it situation.

And David's dance was just fun because it fit "Grease" so well and the addition of the dance troupe only showed how it fit in the broadway dance week.

B. I'm not a fan of Chaz' by any means, but I loved how he along with Lacey and her dad did an "In your face" type performance with the "I like them chunky" song - mostly because both in the duo are criticized for their weight.

C. Was glad that the one gal who danced to "Mission: Impossible" got to do it and did the routine so well. IMHO had she not made the huge mistakes, we'd seen her move further on in the competition. (IS this a week we'd lost Rob though?)

D. Mark and his partner's dance - honestly, it felt like it was more of him than her.

E. Ron was not that bad in his dance. I still think he was deserving of being the first one out, but it was a pretty good routine. I think Master P will always be the worst male dancer who's ever competed in the show (Cloris might take the title for the women).

Overall, not a bad season. I'm glad that JR won - he overall was the best of the season, even when injured. He wasn't a ringer, no one cared that he was on an old ABC show (In fairness though he danced better IMHO than Kelly Monaco anyway), and he just had fun. He was a delight to watch, even in the couple of cases he had to dance hurt. Rob would've been an OK winner, but I'm actually glad for him he didn't win because I think his parents would've used it for their self-promotion then celebrating the win (I mean - they had a shot of his family during the weeks in review segments). Ricki I think showed some nice routines - including the "Psycho" one - and I loved that spin bit they did after being eliminated, but I didn't think she deserved to win.

I do hope though that within the year they seriously reconsider having Brooke or Carrie Ann on the show. Both really do bring it down a bit - and I think CA's comments are part of Len's issue and being too grouchy in his judging. He has to be the only one to actually critique dances.

And I take it you'd like to rope it, brand it, and bring it on home? Is that it?
    Oh, HELL YEAH!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Can't help but wonder whether Rob might have been able to pull it off if his family weren't such fame w****s. That had to work against him; that his entire family are so darned annoying. I think the best thing he could do is distance himself from all of them before he gets sucked into their sickness.

+ Reply to Thread