+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: 11/14 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 11/14 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I looked at Maks' twitter account. If it makes you feel any better, after his apology to CA, he posted a little winking smiley face. I'm not sure he meant for anyone to take the apology for smiling all that seriously.

It looked tongue in cheek to me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I use to really like Ricki, until this show. I know what you mean about not being able to put a finger on it. Derek is definately getting the scores.

Rob looks like he is having a great time when he performs. I am surprised he has come this far, to me it looks like he walks/clods around a lot. He has improved in his performance portion of his dances. It seems that Cheryl choreographs pretty much the same movements for him. When he talks about winning the mirror ball, it reminds me of Palin, they have drank the cool-aid of the judges praises. I like him a lot more than Palin though, he seems like a really nice kid.

Hope looks too serious, I can't tell if she is really that serious about this competition. Perhaps she doesn't really have a lot of personality. I do love her for calling CA out. She deserves the mirror ball for that.

JR hopefully will win this. With Rob getting the 10 for the cha cha, and JR getting the 6, I hope that next week the judges score the dances based on the difficulty of their dance, how well they performed it and not on how much they have improved over the season. I know they scored last night based on who they want in the finals ... JR has the following, so does Derek, and they gave Rob inflated scores to get him in over Hope.

That's the trouble with Rob. He is performing better, but if you watch his feet, he's often not doing all that much, and certainly he's not doing anything as difficult as what Karina is choreographing for J.R., because she knows if she doesn't, they haven't a chance at winning. Cheryl is simply choreographing toward Rob's abilities and around his deficiencies. I don't fault her for that at all, but it doesn't make Rob a better dancer than he is. As has already been pointed out, there are many third place contestants from other seasons who were much better dancers than Rob is. I don't think he's as bad as Bristol, but he's not as good as Erin or Kelly either. As for him being a slacker, yes, there are 24 year olds living at home, unemployed, because of the economic climate--but most of them are trying to get a career started and most of them don't have the advantages Rob would have in getting a foot in the door somewhere, not to mention that I would imagine he had to inherit something from his father's estate. Even if it were in a trust, he's twenty-four and would likely have control of it by now. Yet he doesn't appear to be doing much of anything, except appearing on Khloe and Lamar and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and even on those shows, he does very little. If he's so proud of earning a degree at USC, let's see him try to make some use of it doing something.

I think Hope is just generally uncomfortable with the show. Last night, they even pointed out that because her entire shoulder has been rebuilt, trying to hold a proper frame is painful for her. On top of that, she's had to deal with struggling to learn something physically demanding when, as a gold medal winning athlete, she's used to having her body do what she wants it to with much more ease; she's had to listen to constant comments about how she's not feminine enough or she's too strong or she isn't fluid, which she's admitted makes her feel as if they're telling her she's not a girl, but a guy; and up until recently, she and Maks have had problems communicating effectively with each other. The show hasn't been a particularly happy experience for her, and it's shown, because she's not an actress. I've noticed the serious look too, and I think that has to do with her not being an actress too--she's used to competing without having to worry about the expression on her face when she does so. I'd think no one would much care if a goalie looked serious. In fact, they might prefer that, as a happy, smiling goalie isn't exactly going to intimidate her opponents.

I hope J.R.'s ankle gets better, they don't lose too much training time in the process, and a different pro gets to hoist a trophy for a change. I wonder if part of his distress last night was knowing that if he can't dance well due to circumstances he can't control (his injury), he takes Karina down with him. He seems to like Karina, and I suspect he wouldn't want to disappoint her--and at this point, he has to know that unlike Cheryl and Derek, she's never won and possibly he even knows what happened to her last year with Ralph, which had to be a bitter disappointment.

Hope is clearly the worst dancer left, but it is galling how blatant an attempt the judges are making to ensure that she does not advance over Rob. They are no doubt privy to the numbers from the fan voting, so they had to skew their scoring enough to get Rob through. That is the only explanation for them ranking him first in the relay.
    karalott, nanarama and jucamer like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    That remark was really uncalled for. CA has no way to justify it. I barely even saw Maks smiling. There's no way he or Tony will ever win this show as long as she's there. They need to get rid of her, or tell her take her hatred and favoritism and inconsistancy elsewhere (and if she wants to stay, crack open that ballroom basics book Tony gave her).
    I finally heard CA's comment replayed on TV this morning & now I'm POed all over again! She's such a snide, holier-than-thou, (fill in more adjectives here) idiot! You just know that, if Maks hadn't been smiling, she'd have called him out on that too! Can't you just hear her? "You can give me a stern look all you want" or "you can give me a sad look all you want"... no matter WHAT look was on his face, she'd have probably picked at it.

HEY! Here's an idea for next season - bring back Carson to replace Brooke & let Brooke replace CA! First - we'd know what to expect from at least one judge for every. single. dance. And, second - can you imagine Brooke sniping at anyone? I can't! I'd be willing to put up with Brooke as a judge if it would get CA's pompous, idiot face off my TV!
    BTW, karalott and Moontat like this.

I didn't actually see the look on Maks' face, but he seemed started that CA called him out on it. The rest of your estimation of what happened is on the money.
    I'll take a smiling Maks over a snarling CA any day of the week. I honestly just saw a bemused semi smile from Maks.
    karalott, Florimel, GabbyG and 2 others like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

You're right. Being an idiot is just what CA is. So for her, wanting Rob in the finals over J.R. would make perfect sense.
    Karrie Ann Inaba Kardashian. I wish if they were going to replace anyone it would her CA & not Maks.
    karalott and Moontat like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

No one is looking to simplify a program in order to skate clean and win, because that's not going to work, at least not at the elite level.
    I was not aware they had changed figure-skating scoring systems this season. However, in years past I've very clearly heard figure-skating commentators announce when a competitor has removed a certain skill to achieve a cleaner program, thus higher score (meaning, higher vs falling in a more complicated one). That's why I used that as an example of why some dancers may be inclined to do that, too. Remember, the dancers know they're being judged by the public, of whom the majority are like me and can't always assess whose program had more difficulty (unless the judges announce it). The pros, recognizing that difficult steps may make the celebrity look bad while easier steps make the celebrity look impressive to the public, may choose to choreograph something the dancer can successfully achieve. It does happen, and will continue to happen now-and-then because it pays off. (in many sports)

When it stops paying off, competitors will quit taking the easy road.

It's like taking the SATs... if you don't know an answer, do you choose one anyway, knowing you lose points for wrong answers? Or do you leave it blank, knowing you won't gain but won't lose? Depends on whether or not you can eliminate one of the choices. You assess whether to take the safe route or the gamble.

And keep in mind, the celebs are not really elite competitors in any sense of the word, even though their partners are. The pro may remove difficult steps to benefit his partner.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 11-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.

I am always amazed that celebrity men can do lifts with the female pros. Do they do any weight-training during the season to work on upper-body strength? Granted, the female pros are light and know how to hold themselves to make the lift most efficient for their partner, but still, I would guess that an average man can't just lift a female with ease. Or can they?

I always think of Derek as a little guy, but he lifted Ricki earlier in the season with much more ease than I expected. Where are his muscles? Or perhaps it's just more about the motion than the upward lift.

By the way, when Ricki is intrepid about Derek lifting her, I believe her doubt is genuine, based on her view of herself. But when she covers her mouth with her hands and gasps at every sentence of praise from every judge, I'm not sure she's totally authentic.

Maks definitely getting a better edit.
    Do you think his mood tonight had anything to do with his knowlege that JR couldn't perform full-out? i.e. he could foresee a window through which he and Hope might squeak into the finale, and it made him giddy...? Not to say he was taking delight in someone else's misfortune. I'm just saying he wears his emotions on his sleeve, and he was certainly in a good mood going into tonight's performance, and it may have been because he saw a chance to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    That remark was really uncalled for. CA has no way to justify it. I barely even saw Maks smiling. There's no way he or Tony will ever win this show as long as she's there. They need to get rid of her, or tell her take her hatred and favoritism and inconsistancy elsewhere (and if she wants to stay, crack open that ballroom basics book Tony gave her).
    Oh my gosh, did Tony really give Carrie Ann a book about ballroom basics? If so, when did he do that? That is so funny. No wonder Tony and Maks are such good friends.

I am wondering if there has ever been a season where one of the F4 is scored that much lower than the other three? And, if so, who was that person? I can't remember what each of them had prior to the dance-off at the end (except that Hope and Max were at the bottom with 45), but that pretty much sealed the deal. There is no way that Hope and Maks can make up that much of a difference.

And, am I wrong, but haven't Derek and Ricki gone through the entire competition so far and never once had to dance first - or even second? It seems like they have always been at or near the end. The order in which each dancer has performed this season has also looked suspicious to me. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like in the past that they rotated the dancers so that they would move up each week - example: if someone danced first in week one, they would go second the next week, and the one who danced last would then go first the following week.

I did not hear JR say the F-word. Was it audible, or could you just read his lips? I personally think that he was disappointed in himself - not only did he feel like his performance was not as good as he wanted it to be - but he also aggravated the injury to his ankle, knowing that he had two more dances to perform. I think that he said it best: he was disappointed that he got injured at this point in the competition because of all the work that he and Karina have put into it. An injury at this point could certainly affect the outcome, and JR knows that.

It looks like Carrie Ann is well aware that a huge number of fans are calling for her to be fired. She seems to be extremely thin skinned and is just looking for Maks to make any kind of facial expression or whatever so she can call him out on it. Last night was ridiculous, and she is rightfully getting slammed for what she said. I will watch tonight's show just to see how Hope and Maks handle things when they are eliminated, and then I will tune in to Jimmy Kimmel's show to see what they have to say.

I hope that JR can somehow pull this out and win it, but I will not be watching next week. I can not stand to watch anymore of Carrie Ann, so I will just be reading what everyone here has to say and will be cheering for JR. And if things don't change and Carrie Ann is back in the spring, I might have to skip it then too. Maybe if enough people just don't tune in next week and the ratings drop significantly, then they will get the message at DWTS. Something needs to change. I say start by getting rid of Carrie Ann.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 11-15-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    GabbyG and TIA__MA like this.

+ Reply to Thread