+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 10/31 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/31 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Did you notice how ABC had the bleep ready BEFORE he said it...I thought this show was LIVE, what a scam. And, ironically, they have Bruno scheduled on another ABC show later tonight (promotion for JimKim) and will do anything to stir up drama, ratings, etc... Also, they might have been trying to clean up the judges image a bit after the Maks fiasco last week by making it seem like the word p*ssy is just in his normal, everyday vocabulary...whatever.

They have a few seconds delay

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I think her competitiveness may even be part of the problem. She wants to do well and, as an athlete, expects to do well and can't figure out why this is so hard for her, when being athletic is so much a part of her. Sometimes trying too hard is as bad as not trying hard enough--you just end up getting in your own way.
    Yep that sounds right

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Did you notice how ABC had the bleep ready BEFORE he said it...I thought this show was LIVE, what a scam. And, ironically, they have Bruno scheduled on another ABC show later tonight (promotion for JimKim) and will do anything to stir up drama, ratings, etc... Also, they might have been trying to clean up the judges image a bit after the Maks fiasco last week by making it seem like the word p*ssy is just in his normal, everyday vocabulary...whatever.
    I think most (if not all) live shows are on a time delay of a few seconds. Even the baseball games on ESPN are usually behind by 5-10 seconds.

That aside, one would think Nancy would go this week, but I don't know just how huge/determined her fanbase is. If she doesn't go, the person closest to her in scoring is David (44 points vs. 47, I think?).

I started the season voting for Hope and Maks, switched to JR the night of his rumba, and switched back to Hope last week after the brouhaha. Tonight I had to switch back to JR. It would be a travesty if he went home early. Plus I think he's the only one who can beat the gag-worthy Derek-Ricki pairing.

I wish the show would quit it with these doctor visits on TV. It's stupid and no TPTB, it doesn't make me feel bad for her. If she broke or tore something, I would feel badly. But on-TV medical appointments for relatively minor issues is absurd, and comes across as DWTS' typical attempt to drum up drama and sympathy votes. It's way past getting old.

Also-- Bruno's an idiot. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I "hope" so too. I can't remember seeing Maks so frustrated with a partner. He doesn't really look like he's enjoying himself, but I still want him there. Does that make me an awful person?
    I don't know - he's had some pretty good fireworks in the past, LOL! I was really behind him in last week's fracas, though! This week, he was snotty to Hope during their rehearsal but I was kind of torn on which of them was the problem. But then came the footage from the group dance rehearsal when Maks got all pi**y with her & walked out. I must say - Derek gets on my nerves, but I was so happy that he just stepped in & started helping Hope out, then the others did, too. Also of note was how much better & more relaxed she seemed when working with ... well, virtually anyone but Maks!
    (Don't hate on me! I DO likek Maks, but I think they were just a really bad match! I'd love to have seen how she did with someone else.)
    moflan likes this.

Wow, haven't watched in a while. Ricki was fabulous as Little Red Riding Hood and Team Paso won hands down.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I missed JR's routine. I turned to ABC at 8:00 and saw a Shrek movie was on so I figured DWTS got bumped for a Halloween special this week. I was so ticked when I was flipping through the channels at 9:00 to find DWTS underway. I just caught the tail-end of Nancy Grace's routine. Why did ABC do it this way?!? Either start the show at 8:00 as usual or don't have it on at all!! How are people supposed to know if it's on at a different time?

Poor Hope is still an awful dancer. However, it appeared during rehearsals that her relationship with Maks is a large part of the problem. She did a lot better with the guy who came in to help for her individual dance (Teddy) and with Derek during the group rehearsal. Maybe if she had been partnered with a different pro for the show, she would have done better. I'm not saying Maks is a bad teacher, just that maybe his teaching style doesn't mesh with Hope's learning style. It happens.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-31-2011 at 11:10 PM.

I Maks but Teddy is adorable.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TIA__MA View Post
    I Maks but Teddy is adorable.
    I think Hope should train with Teddy every week from now on.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    It could simply be a case of his teaching style not matching her learning style, so that they both end up frustrated.
    A really GOOD teacher knows how to adapt his teaching style to the student's learning style! I like Maks, but I don't think he's necessarily a very good teacher in that sense.
    Shoepie and etherealfire like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    A really GOOD teacher knows how to adapt his teaching style to the student's learning style! I like Maks, but I don't think he's necessarily a very good teacher in that sense.
    That's easy to say--it's not that easy to do. Sometimes it's just hard to figure out why a student isn't getting something, especially if the student isn't able to be especially clear about why he/she is not getting it or chooses, for whatever reasons, not to divulge fully why he/she is having problems. I don't know if that's the case here or not, but I think saying any really good teacher knows how to adapt his/her teaching style to each individual student is a bit of an exaggeration. I've seen really good teachers--award winning teachers--who've still had students they just couldn't get through to as well as really good students who haven't been able to work all that well with some teachers, even though both of them were trying. If you have to try and teach or learn in a way that doesn't come naturally to you, it's rather like trying to write with the opposite hand. You may manage something legible, but it's probably not going to look as good, or feel as good, as writing with the hand you're naturally inclined to use.

From what little rehearsal footage we've seen, sometimes it looks like Hope and Maks just shut down on each other, and then the frustration grows, because neither one is listening to the other.

+ Reply to Thread