+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/25 Results Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Oh how I loved Warren! Wasn't he up against Brooke ???
    I believe so. I remember voting for Warren against Brooke, just because I found Brooke so unbelievably boring. Yes, she could dance, but she did so in such a personality-free fashion that I couldn't stand it. At least Warren looked like he was having fun.
    NFL1 and jucamer like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I think switching up the pros each week would be worth a try.

Clearly Derek has never been given a Cloris Leachman or But except for the ringers, I honestly don't think the producers know who's going to do well. A good dancer needs technique (you'd think athletes would have a bit of an advantage here as they're used to training their bodies to move in specialized ways); musicality (you'd think singers and musicians would have an advantage), and acting/playing to an an audience (you'd think anyone who's worked in front of an audience would have a bit of an advantage). Some athletes do well; others have two left feet dancing. Some singers do well; others (Michael Bolton, Billy Ray Cyrus, for example), bomb. At the start of their seasons, I didn't have any reason to expect Helio Castroneves, Emmitt Smith, or Kyle Massey to have any special talent for dance. On the other hand, I thought Monica Seles and Floyd Maywether would do well.
    Normally I'd be against them switching partners, but with all the talk of bias, favoritism, and pros fanbases having the impact over the celeb, it'd be interesting to try. It'd put the focus back in the celeb, where it should be, and prevent a pro's fans from giving them the win even if they don't like their partner. Plus, it might really show how inconsistant the judges are if they love a celeb some weeks, but being paired with other pros that some of us think the judges aren't fond of other weeks. And it would eliminate the celebs asking for a certain pro and thinking they'll have an advantage.

I think Maks wants a fair competition. I read an article from him today (and it might have been taken from the GMA) that Maks said he's been told since he started he has to get it in his head it's not a real dance competition, but a TV show. I think a lot of the pros have had to seperate the actual dance aspect they spent decades doing over the entertainment aspect of the TV show. But Maks's blow up has certainly provided a lot of interesting arguments over whether the judges need to be reeled in or not. I kind of like all the commentary coming out that the judges are pointless. I do wonder if it'll bring about any changes, explanations, or revamps of the panel. After Bristol, despite the producers saying there was no way her supporters could override the e-mail voting system, the following season, they started requiring verification to prevent the same person from signing up for a thousand e-mail addresses.

Brooke vs Warren...a season where Kym should have had her first win, and the season where any love I had for Derek started going way downhill.

FORT Fogey

I just read an interesting suggestion elsewhere. Perhaps CA, Len, and Bruno need to take a turn for a week as the pro partners and let some of the pros judge them. You know, kind of like a Boxing Day switch. It might make it clearer to them just how hard it is to do what the pros do and give the pros a chance to show how they would be at judging.

I know they'd never do it, but I'd love to see, say, CA with Chaz, Bruno with Nancy, and Len with Hope (since he seems to think she has potential Maks isn't properly bringing out). I'd be okay with Lacey, Tristan, and Maks doing the judging too, but I'd really prefer it be long-time pros that have never won, like Maks, Tony, Louis, Anna etc.
    AZChristian likes this.

Where the heck did anyone say JR thought Maks was rude????
    It was on TV, they interviewed him

I didn't see that particular interview, but I did see one where JR said he would expect Karina to stick up for him.

On GMA this morning, they had Maks father on. He said that Maks should apologize to Len, not for what he said, but because Len was older. I guess in essence that you should show respect to your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1945 View Post
    I didn't see that particular interview, but I did see one where JR said he would expect Karina to stick up for him.

On GMA this morning, they had Maks father on. He said that Maks should apologize to Len, not for what he said, but because Len was older. I guess in essence that you should show respect to your elders.
    A whole family affair. Maks is very respectful of his parents, so if his dad said that, something tells me Maks and Len made up behind the scenes.

Karina didn't go off on the judges during the show last season, but in her and Ralph's final week, she did tell them off in interviews, calling them 'the 3 stooges'. I mean, the thought of the pros running up to them after the show and making sure their poor wittle feelings are intact is laughable. It's a cheesy dance show on TV for crying out loud. CA, Len, and Bruno are just 3 people that are just as replacable as any pro. They don't hold any power. Once everyone leaves the studio, are they kissing their feet and carrying them to their car? I know we've gotten into the debate pretty heavy here, but at the end of the day, eh. Maks had done it before, and others pros have broken down or called the judges out. It seems like this season Maks hit the nerve when everyone else was feeling it.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I agree, but I think it is all part of a carefully orchestrated shtick to encourage audience involvement for the "entertainment" factor. It is all so predictable, though, isn't it? We know that every show curmudgeonly Len is going to say something critical, the audience will interrupt him with boos, and Len will look around bewildered and engage the audience with his "don't boo me I'm just speaking the truth" act. I don't mind if the audience expresses itself with boos, but I would actually like to see Len just ignore most of it, which would give him a few more seconds to give some constructive tips about specific technical aspects of the dance the couple did or did not do well.

A few other random thoughts:

I watch DWTS to be entertained, but I would also really enjoy learning more about the required elements in a specific dance. I think it would help the audience better appreciate the intricacies of each dance. There is so much filler right now, it seems like they could spend a few minutes to have some pros demonstrate the basic steps to look for in the particular dances we will see that night. Wishful thinking, I guess.

I am not a huge fan of Derek, but I do appreciate and enjoy his choreography and skill. I would love to see him assigned a star with lesser dancing skill, just to see if he could somehow make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It would be fun to see.J.R. for the win!

If this ever happens then maybe I'll respect him. Right now he's just the golden boy, judges & producers favorite who doesn't have to work as hard as any of the other pros. I have no respect for him at all.
    karalott likes this.

If this ever happens then maybe I'll respect him. Right now he's just the golden boy, judges & producers favorite who doesn't have to work as hard as any of the other pros. I have no respect for him at all.
    I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that we will never find out how he would fare with a bad dancer. He will always be partnered with contenders.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Even if things are as "bad" as people make it out to be (and I think it's been exaggerated over time), how is any of it his fault? If you want someone to not-respect, aim it at the producers and the judges. He's not holding a gun to anyone's heads. All Derek is doing is taking advantage of good circumstances and making some amazing choreography week after week. Good partner or bad, I'm not seeing his level of choreography coming from most of the other pros, and I really enjoy watching his work. Take him out of the picture, and the show suffers, even if it may satisfy some viewers who care so much about this blown-up controversy.

Without him last season, the only dance that got any attention was Mark's ridiculously lame Harry Potter routine. Except for cheering on Kirstie Alley, the fall season couldn't come fast enough for me.
    Tobi, Rattus, justCoz and 1 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Even if things are as "bad" as people make it out to be (and I think it's been exaggerated over time), how is any of it his fault? If you want someone to not-respect, aim it at the producers and the judges. He's not holding a gun to anyone's heads. All Derek is doing is taking advantage of good circumstances and making some amazing choreography week after week. Good partner or bad, I'm not seeing his level of choreography coming from most of the other pros, and I really enjoy watching his work. Take him out of the picture, and the show suffers, even if it may satisfy some viewers who care so much about this blown-up controversy.

Without him last season, the only dance that got any attention was Mark's ridiculously lame Harry Potter routine. Except for cheering on Kirstie Alley, the fall season couldn't come fast enough for me.
    Derek does enough on his own to annoy me (though not as much as Mark), but I have said before that a lot of my dislike from him isn't his fault. I don't know how others look at it. However, I don't understand why he gets treated this way or why he's so lucky. In reality, I just don't get what's so special about having the same group of pros continually winning and doing well. I will even admit Maks had benefitted from getting good partners, especially since season 10. Hope may not be going to the finals, but she's still gotten far. But does it really matter that much to have Derek and/or Mark in the finals? To give Cheryl a long lasting partner? To typically give Tony and Anna the attitude clomping divas and drama queens? All the pros have their fans, so of course, we all want them to do well, last long, and win. And I don't know if Maks's comments came out of jealousy, but it's probably frustration on all their parts. I'd probably feel the same way in his shoes. I think this whole week got blown up into something bigger than it was, especially when the other judges and pros put their two cents in. Of course, I know people who are Derek fans, and they don't see the favoritism at all. But then again, they're casual viewers of the show, and don't pick it apart, like me I kind of miss those days when this show was just light and fluffy, and I didn't go so into it. Truthfully, I think Derek and his choreography are a lot of overhype. Yes, he's had great routines, but just about every pro has had routines that I've enjoyed equally. I could probably name the same amount of memorable routines for just about every pro, Derek included. For me, Louis and Cheryl are the best when it comes to teaching, and I think Kym does a really good job at helping her pros adapt, throwing out fun choreography, and making it look simple yet fun and classy, while hiding her pros weaknesses. Karina's put out some of my all time favorite routines, as had Cheryl. I don't think last season suffered, and I can't say this season has really had any memorable dances, except for J.R.'s war story rumba (this season I'm remember dances more for the wrong reasons-though Carson's cha cha and jive definitely put a smile on my face). This season is lacking a lot of things, but Derek's only a small part of it for me this time. Semi lame cast, judges being more idiotic and inconsistant than usual, theme overload, 2 obvious front runners from week 1 (my biggest wish for the spring is to have it be a freaking contest and not know by the end of week 3 who's winning). I won't really argue the better dancers leaving early, because that happens every season, and I can totally see why Elisabetta, Kristin, and Chynna all were early exits. I think last season was great in that there was no obvious controversial casting, and most of the celebs were on equal footing. And the two worst dancers left first. My only complaint was WTA cha cha with Ralph getting thrown under the bus, and American theme week. It was pretty obvious Hines would likely triumph, but I still had a little doubt. Which reminds me, if they do themes continually next season again, like they have this season, I hope they bring back classical week. I could do without hearing signature movie songs or TV themes being sung off key, or a week dedicated to back stories.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that we will never find out how he would fare with a bad dancer. He will always be partnered with contenders.
    Unfortuantely for me, you're probably right. Contender aside, he's got the fanbase to vote him through. I think the worst Derek has ever finished was 6th. But I can dream, and wonder. It's why I think partner swapping every week might be a way to deter pros voting blocs, and see what they're really made of, working with celebs of differing abilities each week.

jucamer
    , I love your avvie I miss season 10.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-28-2011 at 03:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread