+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Maks was totally out of line.
    After last season, I had some respect for him.
    His comments tonight were totally unprofessional.
    And, he seems to think he's the only dancer on this show.
    Sorry, Maks,. but you're really not as good as you seem to think you are.

If you have been a loyal DWTS viewer then you know it was NOT uncalled for. They have been treating him badly for years and I wonder why he has stayed this long. He's the "bad boy" of the ballroom please - the stooges (and Brooke) are the only things bad on this show. I am so happy that he finally came out and said what he did and I know that the majority of the other pros (sans Mark and Derek) are happy about it too. It's been the Mark and Derek show for too long now - the ratings are the proof - viewers are also tired of seeing the same old people win year after year and tired of the mis-judging. No one can say that JR isn't the best dancer on the show - but how many times has he come out on top this season? I am pretty sure this is my last season of being a "loyal" viewer". If Maks goes - then for me this show is un-watchable.

And Maks IS as good as he thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    From Carrie Ann Inaba's twitter: FYI: Everyone has different abilities on DWTS. Every journey is unique to each contestant and everyone's ten looks slightly different."

Translation please.
    Honestly I think it's code for "We're going to vote however we damn well want to and put each dancer on those levels we want to judge them on. This means we will show favoritism - meaning give a 10 to someone we like who falls on their face literally - and you're just going to have to deal with it."

Honestly, I just feel like she's trying to excuse her actions to Hope and other decent dancers who are not her "golden boy" or other favored dancers and is failing miserably.

(BTW - I like Derek. He's a good choreographer. That said, Rikki compared to JR is not better than him at this time and therefore he should win over her - again at this time and all IMHO ).
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    How come every other star that has been heavy on this show ends up dropping significant weight yet Chaz looks exactly the same as week one? Because he's not doing anything other then being dragged around by Lacey.
    Actually, it's because the hormones he's taking related to the transgendering (transgenderation? transgendification?) cause weight gain. And Palin apparently gained, so not ever other portly star lost weight.
    JavaJo likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

BTW, there have been comments about Maks saying DWTS is "his show."

He is right to a point - it is the dancers' show as well as the celebrities (B, C, D list notwithstanding). It's not the "Mark and Derek Show" or "The Cat, the Hat and the Bat" show. (Sorry, I'm having trouble with a fair rhyme for Len, so Hat just worked.
    JavaJo likes this.

Re: Chaz and the penguin comment - I have thought of one possibility in regard to it being seen in a negative connotation:

Chilly Willy, a cartoon penguin who tends to be very shy and Tuxedo Sam - who always said he never failed but he did fail.

Basically, out of the two, Tuxedo was seen as a major idiot but he acted as though he's smart. Chilly actually is fairly accurate given Chaz has been a bit shy at times (probably because of his transgender status).

Quote Originally Posted by Parkhillian View Post
    Yep, I applauded Maks for standing up and saying what I've been thinking for weeks and he was much more restrained than I would have been.

Enough is enough, the blatant favoritism has been called out for all to see and I for one am happy about it. The Judges DO have a double standard in their judging. Judge all of the dancers based on the same criteria. Period. None of this "well you tried hard and were having a good time" drivel to rate their dance. The judges have lost all credibility basing their scores on effort versus technique.

This season blows.
    I completely agree with you on this. For whatever reason, the judges are using different standards when scoring some of the contestants. I can not stand Carrie Ann anymore, and Len is just generally unpleasant. What good does it do for him "talk back" to the audience when they boo some of his comments? And all the bickering that goes on between Len and the other two stooges is ridiculous and counter productive. This season really does blow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    The tendency (over 11 seasons) to overscore or underscore based on the pro, the celebrity, the drama...is the #1 Reason that scores by the judges should be abolished - it is a personality contest, and like American Idol, So you Think You Can Dance - the viewer should be the ONLY score...taking OR LEAVING what the judges say!
    If the viewer would be the only score, why bother dancing at all if it is a popularity contest? I don't know if there's any place online that explains the judges' scoring and I know that contestants stay based on a combination of judges' scores and viewer votes, but as a few people have already said, there should be technical and artistic scoring elements to the judges' scores similar to figure skating. With the former, the judges can say "This is a foxtrot; this needs to happen - the footwork should this, the holds should be that, etc." With the latter, the judges can weigh in on overall artistry or this would be an opportunity to reward or penalize based on improvements or "taking a step back."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    From Carrie Ann Inaba's twitter: FYI: Everyone has different abilities on DWTS. Every journey is unique to each contestant and everyone's ten looks slightly different."

Translation please. Is she trying to use the word "ten" metaphorically, in that for some people, getting an eight, may be a huge accomplishment while to others it indicates that they've dropped the ball that week? Or is she being more literal and saying that different people deserve tens for different skill levels, because everyone has different abilities coming in--that is, is she suggesting they score based on effort or improvement for some people? Or all people? Or what? I don't quite understand what she's going for here.

This was posted after last night's show, BTW.
    It better be metaphorically because they should all be judged by the same standard (whatever that may be). Otherwise group the celebs in small divisions by comparable ability so it's more apples and apples versus apples and oranges.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I would still watch Dancing With the Stars if they had no voting. Of course, it might give the stars too little incentive to improve so perhaps the voting could be modified.

They could have the judges give their comments just for the stars' information and give them things to work on, then have the audience vote after each show. At the end of the series, either give a mirror ball trophy to each star for participating or tally the scores from the audience voting and give the person with the highest score the trophy.

I don't really like the idea of audience voting alone because people have different reasons for voting other than selecting the best dancer. Some people will vote for their favorite star, regardless if they can dance or not, some will purposefully vote for the worst dancer to mess with the results of the show, some will vote for a person who represents an issue or cause they believe in (for example, the transgendered for Chaz, military people for JR). If the point of the show is to award the best dancer, someone with experience and expertise (i.e. a judge) should have some input. If the point of the show is to award the most popular dancer, why go through the pretense of judging the contestants and seeing who has improved?

I guess we're never going to come to an agreement about the purpose of the show. Personally, I'd rather they feature stars with no previous dance experience, try to teach them new skills over the course of the show, and award the person who makes the most progress. The reality is that some stars come on the show with previous experience, giving them an unfair advantage, and other stars are brought on because their personality will draw an audience, either because they're popular or they're controversial. DWTS sets itself up for drama by not starting with a level playing field and by having conflicting goals for the stars. Who should win--the most popular dancer or the most advanced dancer? The judges and audience apparently are in disagreement about which it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    BTW, there have been comments about Maks saying DWTS is "his show."

He is right to a point - it is the dancers' show as well as the celebrities (B, C, D list notwithstanding). It's not the "Mark and Derek Show" or "The Cat, the Hat and the Bat" show. (Sorry, I'm having trouble with a fair rhyme for Len, so Hat just worked.
    How about "The Cat, the Spat and the Bat"? I am assuming you are going with catty (CA) and batty (Bruno) so that leaves "petty quarrel" for Len.

+ Reply to Thread