+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I think Maks just takes the show more seriously from a ballroom standpoint than some of the other pros do. He's said many times that he wants the show to promote ballroom dancing to the general public, which is why he remains so focused on the technical aspects of ballroom dance. Some of the other pros, like Mark and Derek, are more focused on simply putting together entertaining dance numbers that excite the audience. To each his own I guess.

FORT Regular

It made me laugh last night that Brooke corrected Rob who thought it was Halloween week. Rob's got to be really really dumb to have Brooke correct him.

I'm so tired of the judges propping Derek's partners.
    jucamer likes this.

On a lighter note . . . did anyone else hear Brooke say to Lacey and Chaz "That's 19 out of 20" after they got their scores?
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mkp View Post
    Maks is too much into himself - it's all about him. If he gets someone he likes it's all fine and dandy. But if you get someone and they are a disappointment, his response is to withdraw and check out of the situation. I feel sorry for Hope.

Unfortunately, Maks' rabid fan base will keep this couple in the show. But they are not doing Hope or Maks any favors. It just prolongs the agony for these two.

I know the judging on this show can be a farse at times. Carrie Ann really gets my goat. But of the three Len is the most fair and he does really look at the dancing. Len was correct to call Maks out.
    Really??? I think Mark Ballas and Derek are more into themselves and have a sense of entitlement about them than Maks does. Carrie Ann loves her "boytoy" Derek and never has a bad thing to say about him. Judging is completely unfair. Just look at what they are doing to Chaz!!!
    karalott and TIA__MA like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fanatic

Thank god for Maks. Tonight is the first result show I'm looking forward to watching. I haven't been impressed with Hope but after the beating she took last night, she deserves another week. I also feel like that was a terrible song to give to Maks/Hope for the Rumba. It was slow and had no flow to it. When CA gave Nancy that nine, I wanted to throw my remote at the TV. I really despise her now.

Im sick of hearing its because of Chaz' physical limitations that he should be treated lesser then someone like Hope. If your morbidly obese and your knees can't support you to do physical activity... DONT DO IT! How come every other star that has been heavy on this show ends up dropping significant weight yet Chaz looks exactly the same as week one? Because he's not doing anything other then being dragged around by Lacey.

edit: Oh and if you can't take criticism, you shouldn't be on the show either. You're being judged. Its crap that they treat some of them with kid gloves when they should be tearing them to shreds.
    TIA__MA likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Heres a paraphrase of the hypocrisy of the judges...
    to Hope "Its week 6 and I just feel like you should be dancing much more advanced then you are. It just didn't reflect the skill of someone who has been doing this as long as you have"
    to Chaz "Its week 6 and you should be applauded that you come out here each week and are still able to do it. The fact that you haven't given up is just a testament to how strong of a person you are"

yuck.
    TIA__MA and Parkhillian like this.

FORT Fogey

Tweets were mentioned earlier. Hope has tweeted that she's never been prouder to have Maks as a teammate or coach, so I assume she's okay with what happened on Monday night and whatever happens tonight. Maks has also tweeted that he's proud of Hope and that he loved their dance.

Lacey and Cher are apparently both upset about Chaz being compared to an animal by Bruno. I guess that didn't bother me as much, because a)Bruno pretty much makes ridiculous comparisons like that all the time--he's constantly coming up with metaphors that are way, way out there, and at least a penguins are, IMO, kind of cute; by making the comparison, Bruno, for all his goofiness, was at least treating Chaz the way he treats pretty much everyone else, and I don't think it's in the same league as his pussy comment last season, since penguins, so far as I know, don't have an obvious derogatory connotation relating to the transgendered or the overweigh, as penguins aren't especially heavy animals and b)even though Chaz got poor scores, he was, in general, treated far more gently by the judges than some of the other dancers have been, both this season and in other seasons. There have also been criticism from Lacey that the judges have made "weightist" remarks regarding Chaz, but I honestly don't remember any, though that could just be me not paying that much attention to what they were saying. But realistically, his weight and his knees do hold Chaz back, as does the fact that he's just generally not a very good dancer, which is not anything to be especially ashamed about. Lots of people aren't particularly coordinated that way, and certainly many of the contestants on the show over the years have fallen into that category. Carson, for instance, has repeatedly referred to himself as not being terribly coordinated and has said that the told the show, when asked, that he wasn't a very good dancer. He was also told those same things by the judges and more specifically had his faults pointed out than Chaz ever has. I don't quite understand Cher's ire. I'm sure Chaz has faced a lot worse criticism than Bruno's idiotic remarks. I don't mind her objecting to them, but the Mama Bear act seems a little over the top, considering that Bruno is obviously not homo or transgender-phobic and isn't exactly someone anyone takes very seriously anyway. Plus, Chaz obviously has a lot of support from the other dancers/pros on the show, who are willing to stand up for him, and he's clearly capable of standing up for himself as well. She should just let him handle it as he sees fit and get into the mix only if he asks her to do so. I get that to her, he'll always be "her child," as she referred to him in her tweets, but he is a grown adult and would probably prefer to fight his own battles, so to speak.

Personally, I find the unrelenting comments about Hope not being "feminine" enough just as bad, if not worse than anything Chaz has heard from the judges, because they're reinforcing the stereotype that there are particular ways women must look and behave in order to be considered appropriately female. That can't be great fun for Hope to hear, and it's probably something she's had to put up with before too, just as Chaz has likely heard comments about his weight before, but no one's getting on the judges' cases for that. Yet when Hope is reduced to tears, she gets on-line criticism for being whiny or not being able to take it. She can't win for losing. She's too athletic or strong or "masculine" when she dances but when she breaks into "girly" tears, she's not strong or competitive enough.
    combatcutie, TIA__MA and nanarama like this.

FORT Fogey

From Carrie Ann Inaba's twitter: FYI: Everyone has different abilities on DWTS. Every journey is unique to each contestant and everyone's ten looks slightly different."

Translation please. Is she trying to use the word "ten" metaphorically, in that for some people, getting an eight, may be a huge accomplishment while to others it indicates that they've dropped the ball that week? Or is she being more literal and saying that different people deserve tens for different skill levels, because everyone has different abilities coming in--that is, is she suggesting they score based on effort or improvement for some people? Or all people? Or what? I don't quite understand what she's going for here.

This was posted after last night's show, BTW.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    It annoys me week after week, ever since the show began, that the judges can't say anything negative about a dancer or they get booed. IMO, the professional dancers shouldn't encourage this disrespect from the audience. The judges should be allowed to have their say and if the audience disagrees, they can pick up the phone and call in votes for their favorite to give their support. The judges' votes alone don't determine who goes home. Many times someone has gotten the lowest scores from the judges but stayed in the competition because the viewers' votes have gotten them through. It works the other way, too. If the judges' overscore somebody, viewer votes could mean that person goes home anyway.
    The tendency (over 11 seasons) to overscore or underscore based on the pro, the celebrity, the drama...is the #1 Reason that scores by the judges should be abolished - it is a personality contest, and like American Idol, So you Think You Can Dance - the viewer should be the ONLY score...taking OR LEAVING what the judges say!

Tilden, I just had to post that your rationale as to why being called a penguin wasn't a huge insult just made me LOL, sincerely. Quite frankly, I just figured it was because he was in a tux, so that was the best Bruno could come up with! Also, on CA's twitter - who the heck knows what that woman EVER means. I'm not even sure she knows what she means!

+ Reply to Thread