+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    So, Bruno finally made it out of his cage over there, too, huh?

Why am I SO not surprised?

Say WHAT?

Len? NICE???????

'Y kiddin' me, right?

*Sighs, shakes head . . .*

Will wonders NEVER cease?

THE GROUP SWING! THAT was it! I couldn't remember the name of the theme when I first posted about that, but that one's tied with the 60s-themed dance for my all-time favorite group dance.

And I agree . . .

Unless there's a REALLY big upset, Maks probably pushed Hope out the door and agitated the gravel right behind her.

And yes, I DID get thrown into a Personal Summer watching him defend her.

The man, CLEARLY, had had ENOUGH.
    Crazy isn't it They have their own resident Mr. Meanie over there (a guy who will actually dish out appropriate criticism-even if he goes the long, nasty way about it-and hand out a 1, 2, 3 paddle). Len's been more and more grumpy with each passing season. Maybe that's what Maks meant when he said he needed a break. I really don't think Maks meant to be offensive. And of course, once things start spiraling, it's hard to stop the domino effect. However, he was just telling it like it is. CA can do damage control all she wants, but I totally think Maks was right on. And I don't think he believes he's the be all that ends all with this show. He was one of the first pros to join, and has only missed one season in between. But he gave credit to all the couples, past and present. I think he was more saying it's not fair to prop a couple up that doesn't deserve it, because it's not fair to them to make it seem like they're better than they are (only to be brought back week after painful week to be laughed at). Since he and Carson formed a bromance, his comments could have been reserved for him, too. And he seems fond of J.R., and has hinted he thinks J.R.'s gotten burned in scores. I don't know if Maks will take next season off or not. He never slows down in between seasons. Now he's got his brother on the show. The judges may not get it, or like it, but it's obvious they're more about who entertains them over any sort of technique (and I'm not even sure they judge effort). Unless that's all they can judge is effort.

And for nostalgic sake, the group swing.

Group Swing - DWtS (Full Clip) - YouTube

The glory days. Loved the part where Laila picked Apolo up, and the fake fight between Joey and Ian. I liked the group rock n roll from season 5. Any group dance after that I couldn't get into. I know the 60s dance from season 8 was a big favorite, but I didn't really care for it. Tonight's was pretty bad, although I can't be surprised. Nothing, however, will be as bad as the group hip hop from season 7.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-25-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Anyone reading Twitter? Lacey was complaining that Chaz was underscored. And Cher is cussing out Bruno. And calling him a bully? Seriously? Sigh. Bruno is many things, but "a bully" is a big stretch.

The whole season is a joke. I have been taking a break from the forums most of this year due to illness and then busy-ness, but I had to log in tonight. Tonight Maks said what myself and those I watch with have been saying for weeks! The judges are a nightmare this season, more so than usual. Maybe he could have said it in a better way, but the judges are all ridiculous.

I don't know why I am even bothering to watch. They obviously want Derek to win yet again with an undeserving partner (IMO, JR is clearly better in every aspect of dancing and performance), and they don't care one whit if Chaz makes it to the finals. If Chaz was entertaining and/or improving, then I wouldn't have a problem with Chaz advancing because that's how this show goes, but he is not improving. He is also not entertaining to me at all. Or-- If there were worse dancers left, I would have no problem with him staying, but there are not. He's awful (when he actually does anything, that is). Yet he never gets anything but the tiniest dot of criticism, and Cher still pitches a fit. I have the same beef with Rob, although he is a better dancer than Chaz. Carson may not have had good technique, but at least he was so fun to watch! I miss him and Anna.

It's bizarre. Absolutely crazy that Hope was only one point ahead of Chaz and 2 points behind Rob. If the ratings were high, keeping the worse dancers would at least make sense on the "they bring controversy" level. But the ratings are significantly down! I don't see what they have to gain by propping the Chaz, Rob, and Nancy trio. Of the three, I enjoy Nancy the most, largely because of Tristan. Love him! The other two should have been gone a long time ago.

It will probably do no good, but I used my land line and cell to vote for Hope and Maks. What else can I do if she goes, I guess, but change the channel? I am about to, sadly. I'm fed up with the stupidity from the judges more than usual. Len in particular seems like he hates Hope, and I can't figure out for the life of me why. I love JR, but I doubt he will win over Golden Boy. I would bet dollars to doughnuts Derek was one of the pros who ran up to the judges and apologized for Mak's comments (per E! News).
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 10-25-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    sunshine3331 and AZChristian like this.

I totally understand why Maks said what he did- he is frustrated and rightfully so. The judges are judging on individual performance. If it were say "Foxtrot Night" then they should have 2 pros go demonstrate that and everyone would be held to that standard and scored appropriately. Did they stay in hold, posture, footwork, etc... But as it stands now they are getting judges against their OWN abilities. Chaz may have done better in week 5, than in week 4, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is ticking off all the boxes of the required dance- it just means he is improving- not that he is a "7" compared to the "10" of the pro dancers. Did that make sense? I also liked that one year where they got 2 sets of scores (technical and whatever they called the other one!)

And poor Hope... I can see she is trying and she is technically miles ahead of Chaz, but the judges are right that she is missing something. I thought they have been picking her apart this season, which is wrong, but I do agree that she isn't there yet. One thing that might have helped last night make her more "sexy and feminine" would have been to put her in a Rumba-esque outfit (drapey, flowey). I'm sure they could have come up with something to potray Rent other than cut-off shorts and boots. It cut off her lines, emphasized her muscular legs, and didn't scream romantic and sexy at all. I also noticed in the group dance she seemed out of place while walking with the other girls- something just seemed off. But if there is anything Hope is doing it is trying- maybe too hard, which may be hurting her. I think Maks is frustrated with how to make it better too and combined with the judges comments sent him over the edge.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I still don't get where people say Len seems to hate Hope. I don't see it that way at all! He's been very strict with everybody, not just Hope. He usually offers some little bit of praise during his critique, too.

The way I saw it last night, Maks brought it three professional female dancers to help Hope with the sexiness her dances have been lacking. She seemed to be getting it but right after they left, she went right back to her usual stiffness. During her routine, I could tell that Hope was emoting better. However, all her concentration was on her expression so her footwork suffered. I know that she's trying to improve but overall she's getting nowhere. I don't know if her hostility with Maks is holding her back (I sense a lot of tension in the rehearsal footage of them) or if she's just never going to get it. I feel for Hope because I know dancing is hard and it's a different skill than she's used to but there are other celebrities on the show doing better than her (and I don't mean Chaz!) so if she goes this week, I think it's justified.

If you think Len is nitpicky with the stars, I bet he would be much more fussy if he was judging professional dancers! He does give the stars some slack and recognize that their best is probably never going to be at a professional level.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-25-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    norealityhere likes this.

Why bother voting. The show keeps who they want and who they think brings in more viewers. Maks and Tony have always been mistreated by the judges, in my opinion. As much as I enjoy watching the dances, I'm pretty tired of watching Chaz walk around like a blimp. When celebrities have an attitude like Ricki it turns me off completely. All in all, the Judges and producers have turned a good show into a scam. Too bad they can't respect their viewers with a fairer minded show. I would like to see the number of viewer votes instead of taking the shows word for it.

FORT Fogey

Apparently Lacey has publicly agreed with Maks's criticism of the judges. Len could have given much more constructive criticism of Hope's dance and not hit her in the gut with that flat-footed comment about it being her worst dance of the season. I can understand how that set Maks off. Bruno needs to knock it off with the rude remarks about Chaz ... first he said he looked like an Ewok, and then a little penguin. So not necessary! Granted, Chaz can't dance and will not improve much if at all (and is the only celeb who actually seems to have gained weight on the show), but all the judges need to be taken aside and instructed how to give comments without demoralizing the celebs they don't care for. I agree with those who have said there should be a score for technical merit and another score for entertainment value, that the basic moves of the dance should be demonstrated prior to the performances and the dancers held to those standards, and that only two dance styles be performed per show so the judging is more even and it's easier to tell who is performing that dance better.
    TIA__MA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Maks was totally out of line.
    After last season, I had some respect for him.
    His comments tonight were totally unprofessional.
    And, he seems to think he's the only dancer on this show.
    Sorry, Maks,. but you're really not as good as you seem to think you are.
    He needs some time off, his choreography is stale.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

I am really fed up with Maks. This is the same type of outburst he had in season 11 when he danced with Brandy. I had been a fan of his for years and years, and continually defended him, but I'm done with him now. His comments afterwards were just too over the top.

Len had every right to criticize Maks for his lack of interest in teaching Hope anything. That rumba was an embarressment - and Maks, as the teacher, should have been embarrassed because her poor performance is a reflection on HIM.

Hope may not have any natural dancing ability - but as her instructor Maks' responsability is to make the best of a bad situation and try to give Hope as positive an experience on the show as he can. He can take as an example Nancy Grace, who Tristan has managed to keep in the show and has improved her dancing week after week. Nancy is oh so WAY better a dancer than Hope - and that is saying something my friends.

Maks is too much into himself - it's all about him. If he gets someone he likes it's all fine and dandy. But if you get someone and they are a disappointment, his response is to withdraw and check out of the situation. I feel sorry for Hope.

Unfortunately, Maks' rabid fan base will keep this couple in the show. But they are not doing Hope or Maks any favors. It just prolongs the agony for these two.

I had also waited years for Val to finally be on the show, but he is just like his older brother. He was very nasty to his partner and also has an ego issue. It is unfortunate. I really, really wish Maks would take some time off. He needs it. I felt that when he was doing the season with Brandy. He can't always get someone he likes. If he cant' deal with that, he needs to quit.

I know the judging on this show can be a farse at times. Carrie Ann really gets my goat. But of the three Len is the most fair and he does really look at the dancing. Len was correct to call Maks out.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

So should Len lie to a contestant when their technique is off? Pull a Paul Abdul and say how great their hair looks or that he loves how the colors of their movement flows so well with their spirit or some other nonsense? He tells the truth as he sees it. Len did tell Hope that he hasn't given up on her and he's seen potential in her but she hasn't realized that potential yet. He wasn't all mean and nasty to her.

It annoys me week after week, ever since the show began, that the judges can't say anything negative about a dancer or they get booed. IMO, the professional dancers shouldn't encourage this disrespect from the audience. The judges should be allowed to have their say and if the audience disagrees, they can pick up the phone and call in votes for their favorite to give their support. The judges' votes alone don't determine who goes home. Many times someone has gotten the lowest scores from the judges but stayed in the competition because the viewers' votes have gotten them through. It works the other way, too. If the judges' overscore somebody, viewer votes could mean that person goes home anyway.

I like Len and Bruno. I think Len is fair,and I think he's consistent. I dont see any remarks about what the judges said about Chaz and Lacey, and Lacey was able to bite her tongue.This is all about Maks I think. He's not that good, I prefer Mark to him any day at least Mark tries, all Maks does is the same boring choreography ( and wears his shirt open) .I hope he zips it from now on, as it is I have to mute Brooke
    norealityhere likes this.

+ Reply to Thread