+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Regular

Re: 10/24 DWTS13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Haven't watched consistently this season as it has really been a snooze. Tuned in tonight and caught my beloved Maks' remarks to the judges. Love it! Haven't voted all season but sent all my votes his way! I used to love this show but tonight I realized I watch it mainly for Maks and his partner. Hope (pun intended!) he doesn't move on.
    karalott likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    Maks!

I so love Maks for calling the judges out. A 9 for Nancy's dance ... really? And then CA saying Nancy gets bonus points for the group dance? Hope is not the best dancer out there for sure, but Nancy Grace isn't any better than Hope. The judges have their noses so far up Nancy's, Rob's and Ricki's butts.

And what's with Ricki saying she belongs at the top of the leader board? She's already declared that she is either winning this or is at the very least coming in second. Arrogant much?

Karalott ... what was Maks saying when he said this was his show? Did he have something to do with pitching this type of show to start with?
    Totally agree on Ricki. Even she knows it's a given she's in the finals. I get annoyed when someone says 'next week we'll...' during Mondays show, like they already know they're going to make it. I'm equally annoyed that they're locking it in as J.R. vs Ricki, judging from the comments tonight. I mean, I think everyone saw it coming by week 2, but the show could be a little less obvious about it And we'll see if J.R.'s fanbase can overtake Derek's. If Ricki were with anyone else, she'd be lucky to be getting second.

Maks made a remark about how he made the show. He was asked to participate in the very first season (as were Tony and Karina), but all turned it down because they were still competing. I don't think he, or any of the pros or judges, had anything to do with the show being launched. I really think Maks's remark to Len was meant in jest, but it escalated. The footage will be interesting tomorrow, and if Hope does go home, how the judges and show handle it. I think they'll try and blame Maks. I thought his bust up with CA was worse. Maks has said before he wants to promote ballroom, and you can tell he tries to stay true to it. He remarked in the past that people behind the scenes (hinting at CA, for one), were trying to change up the style and format of the show, leaning more away from traditional ballroom, and bringing in more tricks and being lax on traditional ballroom dance and rules. During season 5, Maks and Tony referred to a lot of "flash and trash" overtaking the show, which they meant as gimmicks and flashy choreography over actual dancing. When you compare routines to previous years, there are a lot more stunts, gimmicks, props, themes, messing about, and less dancing. BTW, when Len called Hope out over her footwear masking her dancing, why don't they to anyone who wears a long evening gown to hide their feet, or who's pro purposely dances in front of them and away from the judges, or throws in flashy, trick choreography to make up for their lack of dancing. Lacey tonight said she drags Chaz through the dances! That gets him a 19? Judging by CA's tweet, she either doesn't get or doesn't want to acknowledge Maks was trying to say they're inconsistant.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-25-2011 at 01:45 AM.

I have no problem with Maks voicing his opinions, he is right. I doubt anything will change though.

As for Nancy she is pledging all of her DWTS earnings to the missing and exploited children fund. So that and people who view her show are voting for her. I don't agree always with her opinions but I do love how she gets coverage for missing children and keep the stories in the public eye. Nancy also has a DWTS special on her show on fridays with cast members now and previous and the dancers. So she is giving this show plenty of advertisement.

What in the heck does JR have to do to get a ten from Len?
    AZChristian likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Maks!

I so love Maks for calling the judges out. A 9 for Nancy's dance ... really? And then CA saying Nancy gets bonus points for the group dance? Hope is not the best dancer out there for sure, but Nancy Grace isn't any better than Hope. The judges have their noses so far up Nancy's, Rob's and Ricki's butts.

And what's with Ricki saying she belongs at the top of the leader board? She's already declared that she is either winning this or is at the very least coming in second. Arrogant much?

Karalott ... what was Maks saying when he said this was his show? Did he have something to do with pitching this type of show to start with?

Maks, apparently, thinks he singlehandedly made DWTS a ratings blockbuster through the years, it seems!!

He also thinks he invented the Internet, closely followed it with the IPAD, IPOD and IPhone.....Ego much!!??
    Rabid Dingo likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

Yep, I applauded Maks for standing up and saying what I've been thinking for weeks and he was much more restrained than I would have been.

Enough is enough, the blatant favoritism has been called out for all to see and I for one am happy about it. The Judges DO have a double standard in their judging. Judge all of the dancers based on the same criteria. Period. None of this "well you tried hard and were having a good time" drivel to rate their dance. The judges have lost all credibility basing their scores on effort versus technique.

This season blows.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Totally agree on Ricki. Even she knows it's a given she's in the finals. I get annoyed when someone says 'next week we'll...' during Mondays show, like they already know they're going to make it. I'm equally annoyed that they're locking it in as J.R. vs Ricki, judging from the comments tonight. I mean, I think everyone saw it coming by week 2, but the show could be a little less obvious about it And we'll see if J.R.'s fanbase can overtake Derek's. If Ricki were with anyone else, she'd be lucky to be getting second.

Maks made a remark about how he made the show. He was asked to participate in the very first season (as were Tony and Karina), but all turned it down because they were still competing. I don't think he, or any of the pros or judges, had anything to do with the show being launched. I really think Maks's remark to Len was meant in jest, but it escalated. The footage will be interesting tomorrow, and if Hope does go home, how the judges and show handle it. I think they'll try and blame Maks. I thought his bust up with CA was worse. Maks has said before he wants to promote ballroom, and you can tell he tries to stay true to it. He remarked in the past that people behind the scenes (hinting at CA, for one), were trying to change up the style and format of the show, leaning more away from traditional ballroom, and bringing in more tricks and being lax on traditional ballroom dance and rules. During season 5, Maks and Tony referred to a lot of "flash and trash" overtaking the show, which they meant as gimmicks and flashy choreography over actual dancing. When you compare routines to previous years, there are a lot more stunts, gimmicks, props, themes, messing about, and less dancing. BTW, when Len called Hope out over her footwear masking her dancing, why don't they to anyone who wears a long evening gown to hide their feet, or who's pro purposely dances in front of them and away from the judges, or throws in flashy, trick choreography to make up for their lack of dancing. Lacey tonight said she drags Chaz through the dances! That gets him a 19? Judging by CA's tweet, she either doesn't get or doesn't want to acknowledge Maks was trying to say they're inconsistant.
    Well dang, I replied to your post with this long post, and it wouldn't post.

I went back and replayed what he said ... he said it was his show, he helped make it what it is. He gave credit to all of the pro's and celebs; but said he was frustrated with the judges judging some on effort and others on heal leads (obviously implying technical ability). I can't say as I blame him for speaking up. Hope said it was basically the first time she really enjoyed herself and felt good about the dance, and ends up getting blasted from Len that it was her worst dance of the season. Maks also knows that Hope takes the criticism to heart, and wasn't he instrumental in getting her to come on the show?

And yes, it was obvious he was kidding when he said to Len maybe it was time for him to get out of the business.
    nanarama likes this.

So it seems that Mak's standing up to the judges is helping Hope's cause if that website that makes predictions has any accuracy ... they are in second place.

FORT Fogey

Perhaps the scoring system simply needs to be changed. For one thing, the judges need to be clear what it is they're basing their scores on. If it's, say, technical skill and entertainment/performance skill, then have two scores, much as figure skating does--and let the audience know how each dancer is being scored in each category. Also, they might try what they did a couple of seasons back and have particular moves typical for a dance style required as part of the performance, so that they could compare/contrast directly the quality of those moves. Don't have more than two styles of dance per show either, so it's clearer who's excelling and who isn't. I don't think having multiple dances per show really makes the show more entertaining, but it does make it more confusing.

And for heaven's sake, have a little talk with the judges about constructive criticism and how to deliver it. They don't have to baby anyone but they don't have to be mean either--and if Len's going to say something like Hope's not putting in enough effort/rehearsal time, then he better have proof of it. None of the footage we've seen has indicated that Hope is at all lazy or unwilling to work. I think performing just makes her very nervous, because she's not a natural dancer and she's an athlete used to her body excelling at what she asks it to do. Also, so far as I know, she doesn't have any acting experience and thus playing characters may be something she isn't all that comfortable with either. But honestly, at this point, it doesn't seem to matter what she tries, the judges are going to hate it, just as it doesn't matter how badly Chaz clumps across the stage, he's still going to hear carefully worded criticism surrounded by a cozy little cocoon of compliments. Such obviously different approaches don't reflect well on the judges or their scores. If Chaz and Hope are going to be scored similarly, they should receive the same kind of technical and performance advice, but they certainly didn't.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I have no problem with Maks voicing his opinions, he is right. I doubt anything will change though.

As for Nancy she is pledging all of her DWTS earnings to the missing and exploited children fund. So that and people who view her show are voting for her. I don't agree always with her opinions but I do love how she gets coverage for missing children and keep the stories in the public eye. Nancy also has a DWTS special on her show on fridays with cast members now and previous and the dancers. So she is giving this show plenty of advertisement.

What in the heck does JR have to do to get a ten from Len?
    Change his name to Hough? To be fair, though, Len hasn't given anyone a ten yet this season.

FORT Fogey

So it seems that Mak's standing up to the judges is helping Hope's cause if that website that makes predictions has any accuracy ... they are in second place.
    I think Maks just said what a lot of us have been thinking--or saying here--and it struck a chord. Poor Hope has been the panel's personal whipping girl all season, and while she isn't the best dancer on the show, she isn't the worst either, and Maks is right about Hope getting criticized for heel leads while others are rewarded for "effort."

By the way, I also liked what an earlier poster said about some dancers hiding behind their pros (Chaz) or others wearing skirts that make it difficult to see their leads or foot/leg positions (Ricki). Everybody should be held to the same standards and criticized similarly--and face similar score deductions when they are criticized.

+ Reply to Thread