+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 10/18 Results Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/18 Results Show Discussion DWTS 13 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Can Carson just continue practicing and performing with Anna for the rest of the season just for fun and not be judged in the competition? That would make me happy. Thank you!

I heard Lacy chiding Chaz as they were revealed safe "you got 2 dances, you got 2 dances!" (at least I think that's what she was saying). Do the celebs have to do 2 dances next week? We aren't at that point yet are we or is there that big group number that they usually do (although I think was missing last season)?
    Works for me. I don't care why Carson's there. If he wants to dance, judge, sing, play the trumpet, conduct the orchestra, host, be a fashion stylist, be the guy who rushes the stage...bring him on! I know many people (including myself) believe they keep someone like Brooke so Tom doesn't get upstaged, but Brooke is so pitiful and painful, and Tom is beyond a polar opposite, that it makes her look so much worse than she already is. He and Drew balanced each other out, and I think Carson could do the same. I say add him to Dance Center! I'll really miss Anna as well. One of my favorite pros since her season 2 debut, I hope she's officially a regular on the roster at this point. I'd hate to lose her. She's so much fun, and I think is such a great teacher, partner, and choreographer. I was pretty surprised Carson got the boot. In fact, since i was so sure he was staying and Hope was going, I thought it was crappy they'd put them in the fake bottom 2 together just to make Hope's elimination that much worse. I was wrong, and because Maks is in the equation, glad I was

I feel sorry for Hope to a point. It seemed tacky they announced her in jeopardy at the start of the show, then waited nearly 40 minutes before getting to anymore results. She had a negative rehearsal edit this week, she has a popular but polarizing pro, she can't do any right by the judges, she was seen breaking down this week, and because of her twitter comment, I believe she'll probably get picked apart by the judges next week as well. It's Broadway week, so I can only imagine the "you're not feminine/didn't capture the character/didn't work hard enough to learn the steps and entertainment aspect" CA has a lot of contradicting nerve. I think her beef is with Maks, and as a result, his partners suffer. In terms of the two dances, I think next week is the group dance as the second dance. We haven't had once since season 9, but given the theme, I can see why they're bringing it back. Besides, it might take the place of team dances this season, which has me calling conspiracy.

Chaz doesn't even looked fazed at staying. He knew he was safe. I hope he doesn't get into Bristol territory where he starts believing his own hype. Rob-don't like him by association, but I think he could make the finals if his family and CA have their way. I don't agree with anything the judges said during or after their dance that we saw. Cheryl's bugging me this season as well, even more than usual. J.R. is an absolute doll. I love him giving encouraging words to Chaz backstage since they had the same dance style. What is there not to love about that guy? I'm not digging Ricki anymore, if that wasn't obvious. She is one dimensional to me. David/Kym are too freaking cute together. Even though she just won last season, I'm glad Kym got a fun partner, even if I don't think he'll be taking the mirrorball in the end. If any of the controversial 3 in Rob, Nancy, or Chaz don't make the finals, it'll be his. Of course he'll probably go out third, which is the only spot in the final 3 Kym hasn't finished.

Other highlights: loved seeing Tristan/Kym. I'm indifferent on the troupe, but it seems like we're seeing more of them this season than last. And I'll take a Val number anyday. Loved the AT&T spotlight segment (way to get another plug in, show). Didn't need to see Derek and Mark, but it was a nice number, and I'm happy for that young lady. Even if she says she can't dance, I wonder if Kelly Clarkson would ever be persuading into doing the show. I wonder if any male pros were behind the scenes trying to get her to put them down as the partner she wants if she ever does it.

Thanks for that bit of info JavaJo! Of course I'll probably be doing both Did I mention I miss Gilles?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was surprised to see Carson go since he has such a huge fan base here. However, I think it was the right call. He said himself he's not trying to be perfect, just having a good time. IMO, if he's not there to give 100% and learn how to do things the right way, he doesn't deserve the mirror ball trophy.

Carson is wrong. Good dancing doesn't have to be boring. He could bring his personality to his dance while doing better technique. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think David deserved to be in the bottom three. He must not have as much of a fan base as some of the other stars.

I hope Kelly Clarkson will consider competing on the show in the future. I would certainly root for her!

Early in the season, the judges pointed out that no one was spending more hours practicing than Carson. I don't think he was just there to have a good time, but he was realistic enough to realize that even with a lot more practice, he just isn't as coordinated or as quick to learn choreography as the others. I don't think he ever really thought he'd win, given the caliber of the competition, but he wanted to do as well as he could, and for him, his strength was more about being entertaining than being precise. As for saying he'd rather have fun than be perfect and boring, I think, given his delivery of that comment and Anna pretending to agree with him that it was meant to be a joke. I don't believe he really thinks technique and fun have to be mutually exclusive at all--just that perhaps, in his case, getting the technique down well in such a short period of time, especially for something like the jive, which has been the downfall of a lot of stars in the past, is just beyond him, so they elected to have fun instead, rather than getting frustrated and fearful about it. I loved his final comments about not being afraid to try things even if you're not good at them and appreciating what you got out of the experience in spite of not being the best one there. Maybe he needs to sit down and have an encouraging talk with Hope, who I think gets in her own way sometimes with her tremendous drive to excel. If she'd relax a little more and find some pleasure in what she's doing, even if she can't be perfect at it, she might be better off. Even if the judges didn't score her any differently, at least she might feel better about her experience.
    Arielflies likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Can Carson just continue practicing and performing with Anna for the rest of the season just for fun and not be judged in the competition? That would make me happy. Thank you!

I heard Lacy chiding Chaz as they were revealed safe "you got 2 dances, you got 2 dances!" (at least I think that's what she was saying). Do the celebs have to do 2 dances next week? We aren't at that point yet are we or is there that big group number that they usually do (although I think was missing last season)?
    If I were Lacy, I wouldn't be so excited that Chaz has two dances, considering the difficulty he has in learning one per week. Two might very well be completely beyond his ken, unless the second is a group dance where everyone simply dances around him.

By the way, I'm betting that for Broadway week he gets "I Am What I Am" or something equally obviously referring to the fact that he's transgendered. I wish they wouldn't, precisely because it's so obvious, but I fear they will. Likewise, it wouldn't exactly shock me if D/R got something from Hairspray, so they can talk about how she was an overweight teen and how the movie on which the musical was based changed her life etc.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Works for me. I don't care why Carson's there. If he wants to dance, judge, sing, play the trumpet, conduct the orchestra, host, be a fashion stylist, be the guy who rushes the stage...bring him on! I know many people (including myself) believe they keep someone like Brooke so Tom doesn't get upstaged, but Brooke is so pitiful and painful, and Tom is beyond a polar opposite, that it makes her look so much worse than she already is. He and Drew balanced each other out, and I think Carson could do the same. I say add him to Dance Center! I'll really miss Anna as well. One of my favorite pros since her season 2 debut, I hope she's officially a regular on the roster at this point. I'd hate to lose her. She's so much fun, and I think is such a great teacher, partner, and choreographer. I was pretty surprised Carson got the boot. In fact, since i was so sure he was staying and Hope was going, I thought it was crappy they'd put them in the fake bottom 2 together just to make Hope's elimination that much worse. I was wrong, and because Maks is in the equation, glad I was

Chaz doesn't even looked fazed at staying. He knew he was safe. I hope he doesn't get into Bristol territory where he starts believing his own hype. Rob-don't like him by association, but I think he could make the finals if his family and CA have their way. I don't agree with anything the judges said during or after their dance that we saw.

Carson did say he'd be back every week, to cheer on his cast mates. As long as he's there, they should at least let him be everyone's special consultant the week the stars get to design the costumes (and I really, really wanted him to make it until that week, but I'll feel better about that if he were to help everyone else). By the way, Carson has already posted several sweet tweets, thanking Anna and everyone who voted for them and saying he loved everything about the experience. I already liked him going in, but I like him even more now. He really does seem like a multi-talented, nice guy--it's just that dancing doesn't happen to be one of his many strong suits.

As for Chaz, I wish he'd at least seem as if he felt a little awkward that better dancers were going home before him. He's never seemed to believe he was the best out there, and even tonight he lamented the fact that he always seemed to have the same dance as J.R. every week and all he wanted to do was not look too terrible by comparison. Since he doesn't seem to harbor any illusions about his actual dancing talent--unlike Bristol--you'd think he'd start to get embarrassed if he continues to get saved over obviously better dancers, and really, at this point, even Nancy is an obviously better dancer.

One thing I'll say for Jerry Springer--he actually went so far as to ask his fans to send him home as soon as he learned the waltz, which was his particular goal. He knew he wasn't that good, and he was fine with going home before people who were clearly more talented than he was. He even seemed a little embarrassed at continually being saved. It didn't make me want to watch his show, but I still appreciated his candor.

At this point, I'm for J.R. all the way. He's the only one with a shot at beating R/D, and I'd like to see someone new take home the trophy. Karina hasn't made it to the final since season three, and she and Ralph were really hammered by the judges last season, including that awful pussy remark by Bruno. She seems to have mellowed with age (or something), and I guess I'd rather see her finally win than see Derek take a fourth trophy. Plus, I honestly think J.R. is a better dancer than Ricki, and I've always voted more based on the star than the pro.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-19-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    nanarama likes this.

FORT Fogey

I wish Hope would have went. She reminds me of my nine year old daughter with that awful look she has on her face all the time. Carson at least enjoyed what he was doing. Hope seems rather insecure that she cannot even lighten up a little bit and just have fun. It is not like she is doing something that is part of her life's work. I truly hope she goes next week as watching her is just not entertaining anymore.

I do not care if Tom or ABC or whatever do not want him upstaged or what, but his costars stand out more because they are so awful. I am starting to think though that it is not the women, but something with the director or something because the girl the first season was awful and Samantha and Brooke are awful. Either they are hiring bad on purpose, or they are making them bad with the cues and such, or these girls just cannot do live. Only one I have seen with confidence to do live is Guiliana Rancic. I think they need to go less for looks and more for talent.

Nancy got lucky drawing Tristan for a pro. I cannot believe how hot that guy is. Man Kym is a lucky girl with that dance. They had a whole lot of chemistry going. Wonder if they dated before, if not they sure would make a cute couple. I hope he is back next season.

JR should have this thing in the bag unless the judges start making strides to get their golden boy to be the winner. I do not think Ricki has it in her though as I think she is too hard on herself. She is another one that just needs to relax and have some fun.

FORT Fogey

I agree that Chaz is staying beyond his talent, but why is it his or Bristol's fault? Do people expect him to say sorry I was signed on for a show, and by the rules of the show I am still here, but I am sorry I suck so I am out of here? I do not blame Bristol nor him for fans keeping them in. That is the issue with the public and any voting system, the one you like might not be the one that everyone votes for. I do not vote for Chaz, nor did I vote for Bristol, but it is not their fault that the public keeps them in, nor is it their fault that they were asked to be on this show with no dance ability.
    JunkieGirl and Shoepie like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was wondering when they said they have two dances next week if they mean they have two dances with their partner plus the group dance or if the group dance is the second dance.

I hope Chaz goes next week, or Hope. I'll be crushed if David goes because I think he's doing really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I agree that Chaz is staying beyond his talent, but why is it his or Bristol's fault? Do people expect him to say sorry I was signed on for a show, and by the rules of the show I am still here, but I am sorry I suck so I am out of here? I do not blame Bristol nor him for fans keeping them in. That is the issue with the public and any voting system, the one you like might not be the one that everyone votes for. I do not vote for Chaz, nor did I vote for Bristol, but it is not their fault that the public keeps them in, nor is it their fault that they were asked to be on this show with no dance ability.
    I agree. Plus, they don't tell us to vote for the 'best' dancer. They tell us if we want to keep our favorites in the competition, we should vote for them. Like Carson....I was hoping he would stick around for the finals because he was so terrific to watch. Horrible dancer if you look at technique, but IMO, he was the most entertaining. I'd rather smile until my cheeks hurt during a dance than watch someone with no emotion like Nancy. And I actually like Nancy. As for Chaz....I don't mind him still being around. Frankly, I think him still being on the show says a lot about the American people...that we are more and more willing to accept people who aren't cookie cutter. It's been a pleasant surprise for me.

The one I've been disappointed in is Hope. She just seems so serious and sour all the time. Even in the beginning. She's not having a good time and it really shows. The judges could kiss her ass and I don't think it would change that fact. I'm just surprised at her reaction to the judges comments. I'm positive her soccer coach has ridden her just as hard (or harder) to get the results he/she does on the soccer field. I'm betting Maks is regretting campaigning so hard to get her on the show and as his partner. She just reminds me of a petulant child and it's annoying.

Rob K.....he's improving each week and he went from being a goof off to really enjoying himself, wanting to do good and actually putting in the time and work to achieve it. I dont' think he can win, but it's been nice to see him grow as a person. I find myself rooting for this kid.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    No, it's not their faults that people continue to vote them in, but in Bristol's case, she (and Mark) started to believe the hype that she had improved so much that that's why she was being kept in the competition, when, realistically, she hadn't improved all that much. Others her season certainly had improved just as much or shown more potential and had gone home. If that was her criteria for who should stick around and why, then she had to be fooling herself. It was clear there was campaigning going on to keep her there based on who her mother was, which is basically the only reason she has a career as a motivational speaker as well. There are plenty other young women out there, equally as eloquent, who could send the same message, who would never be paid five figures to give a speech.
    And it was reported at the time that she'd been paid that.

As for Chaz, his message isn't one that can be sent by as many people, but let's face it, if his mother weren't Cher, they probably wouldn't have asked him either, because no one would have heard of him versus any other member of the transgendered community. I don't think he believes he's improving as rapidly as Bristol thought she was, but I also don't think he's much fun to watch as a dancer nor do I think he's likely to improve that much. He doesn't have much natural ability, he's out of shape, and if he has bad knees, he's an injury waiting to happen, even if he says he's not injured at the moment. I get that people think he's courageous, appreciate his message etc., and I think he's to be commended for that. But it's not supposed to be vote for your favorite person or the person you most admire or the person you most agree with--it's supposed to be vote for your favorite dancer. And he just isn't much of a dancer, not in terms of technique or in terms of being able to sell a dance theatrically, because by his own admission, he's shy. And yeah, if I were in some kind of talent-related competition where people were voting me through because they thought I was admirable or sweet or they liked me or my mother personally, I'd feel embarrassed, because that's not the only thing the competition was supposed to be about. If it's just supposed to be about that, and have nothing at all to do with the dancing, then they should just have a contest where they showed clips about the individual and what he/she stands for and vote on that.

For the record, I voted for Carson, not because I thought he was the best dancer technically, but because, other than J.R., whom I didn't feel needed the votes, I thought he was the best theatrically. I was under no illusions that he should win for being entertaining or for any of his other numerous accomplishments, but I did want him to stick around as long as possible. Since he's gone, my favorite is J.R., not because of his remarkable attitude or story, both of which are certainly worthy of praise, but because he's an enjoyable dancer, and if the likes of Nancy and Chaz continue to be voted through, then perhaps he really does need my votes to stick around. Could I vote for someone who was a great dancer but who was a tremendously awful person? Probably not, but then, I'm not sure someone like that could excel at both the technique and the theatrical aspects of the dance either. I won't vote for an obvious ringer either, because I don't think it's fair to the other competitors. And if there's no one one I particularly like over the others, I don't vote at all. But neither will I vote for someone solely because of his/her message or family connections, because, to me, that's not all the competition is supposed to be about.

I hate that Carson's gone. I won't be watching the rest of the show. Unless........ Carson's gets to do comentary, hosting, etc. Someone let me know if he does. I'll tune back in for that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast