+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 91
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #81
    FORT Newbie indy1945's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    "This is not a serious dance competition."
    You're correct. This isn't a serious dance competition. Unfortunately the judges judge the dances as if they were serious and therein lies the problem. Either it is or it isn't and judge it accordingly.

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by indy1945 View Post
    You're correct. This isn't a serious dance competition. Unfortunately the judges judge the dances as if they were serious and therein lies the problem. Either it is or it isn't and judge it accordingly.
    I don't think they judge anywhere close to a real competition! If they did all would get 3's consistantly. Their standards are very different and gaged for the skill level of non professionals. The format and set up is "official" to give the audience a taste of what ballroom dance is about. You often see a higher score than warrented and hear all of them say they were entertained at one point or another.

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey Longhornfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post

    On Strictly Come Dancing, Len is Mr. Nice Guy, so this whole Mr. Nasty is one bad act. But he didn't have to be that bad. I do appreciate his input more than the other two, and think getting a 9 or 10 from him is more meaningful.

    I'm just mad Len made Anna cry
    I have never seen On Strictly Come Dancing, but it is hard to believe that is an act - Len's Mr. Nasty disposition. He seems like he would be that way in real life. I think that it was on last night's show when the cameras were on Tom and maybe Brooke, but you could see the three judges in the background, and Len was shoving Bruno like he was irritated with him (as usual). Len looked very disgusted with Bruno, and it seemed real and not an act at all. So, I am not sure that Len is acting the part, but you may know better than I do. However, I will say this. That was rude what Len was overheard saying about Hope last night during the elimination portion of the show. I can't figure out why he seems so biased against her.

  4. #84
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by indy1945 View Post
    You're correct. This isn't a serious dance competition. Unfortunately the judges judge the dances as if they were serious and therein lies the problem. Either it is or it isn't and judge it accordingly.
    Exactly! they do judge seriously, especially little lifts etc, but let other stuff pass as dancing..blech

  5. #85
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    I have never seen On Strictly Come Dancing, but it is hard to believe that is an act - Len's Mr. Nasty disposition. He seems like he would be that way in real life. I think that it was on last night's show when the cameras were on Tom and maybe Brooke, but you could see the three judges in the background, and Len was shoving Bruno like he was irritated with him (as usual). Len looked very disgusted with Bruno, and it seemed real and not an act at all. So, I am not sure that Len is acting the part, but you may know better than I do. However, I will say this. That was rude what Len was overheard saying about Hope last night during the elimination portion of the show. I can't figure out why he seems so biased against her.
    I can understand why Len gets annoyed with Bruno-I wish someone would apply superglue to his seat one of these Mondays. I'm waiting for the day when he accidentally hits Len while waving his arms frantically in some demonstration as to how much he liked a dance Funny enough, I was reading up on the new Strictly season, and the female judge commented that their mics would have more wire added to them this season, so she expected Bruno to be jumping up on the judges table. First of all, why did it take Strictly so long to catch onto that? Secondly, I can't believe Bruno contains himself. Bruno is still Bruno on that series, but lucky for Len, he doesn't sit next to him. Maybe judging two shows at the same time with him is too much for Len It could be he's burnt out judging both series at once. A couple of times he took a break from our version during the fall, and I read this time he'll be taking a week off from Strictly.

    I think Len is definitely moody-but I question how much of the 'nasty' judge is a put on. Ever since Simon Cowell, there's always one judge who has to play the bad guy. Len is really the only one who knows what he's talking about, so even when he isn't pulling out sunshine and unicorns like CA and Bruno, I at least appreciate he's honest. However, I feel like the judges have gotten cattier, more defensive, more egotistical, and more nasty since Bruno attracted all that attention for his comments to Michael Bolton in season 11. Len could have made his point to Carson without bringing up childbirth, or to David last week (?) asking if it was time for Castle. Everyone knows it's a TV show, but they all have feelings, too, and it's easy for the judges to say they were just kidding for camera purposes Call me crazy and old fashioned, but I'd rather see honest scores and constructive criticism, actual dance show or not. They are learning to dance (and some of them are actually succeeding). Seeing Len on Strictly, he's the nicer judge over there. So I guess it's hard to say who his real self is. But I'm in complete agreement, that comment about Hope was out of line. He should be commenting on her dances, not what he thinks is her lack of effort. It's not her fault they choose to edit her package that way.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-13-2011 at 02:27 AM.

  6. #86
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by catzy View Post
    JR was in the Army, not the Marine Corps.
    Ah... my apologies. That only does make it nicer though, as I've noticed a tendency for shows to feature Marines in these shows over the other three main branches (four including Coast Guard).

  7. #87
    FORT Fogey Longhornfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I can understand why Len gets annoyed with Bruno-I wish someone would apply superglue to his seat one of these Mondays. I'm waiting for the day when he accidentally hits Len while waving his arms frantically in some demonstration as to how much he liked a dance Funny enough, I was reading up on the new Strictly season, and the female judge commented that their mics would have more wire added to them this season, so she expected Bruno to be jumping up on the judges table. First of all, why did it take Strictly so long to catch onto that? Secondly, I can't believe Bruno contains himself. Bruno is still Bruno on that series, but lucky for Len, he doesn't sit next to him. Maybe judging two shows at the same time with him is too much for Len It could be he's burnt out judging both series at once. A couple of times he took a break from our version during the fall, and I read this time he'll be taking a week off from Strictly.

    I think Len is definitely moody-but I question how much of the 'nasty' judge is a put on. Ever since Simon Cowell, there's always one judge who has to play the bad guy. Len is really the only one who knows what he's talking about, so even when he isn't pulling out sunshine and unicorns like CA and Bruno, I at least appreciate he's honest. However, I feel like the judges have gotten cattier, more defensive, more egotistical, and more nasty since Bruno attracted all that attention for his comments to Michael Bolton in season 11. Len could have made his point to Carson without bringing up childbirth, or to David last week (?) asking if it was time for Castle. Everyone knows it's a TV show, but they all have feelings, too, and it's easy for the judges to say they were just kidding for camera purposes Call me crazy and old fashioned, but I'd rather see honest scores and constructive criticism, actual dance show or not. They are learning to dance (and some of them are actually succeeding). Seeing Len on Strictly, he's the nicer judge over there. So I guess it's hard to say who his real self is. But I'm in complete agreement, that comment about Hope was out of line. He should be commenting on her dances, not what he thinks is her lack of effort. It's not her fault they choose to edit her package that way.
    Oh, my, I did not know that Len and Bruno are judging both shows at the same time. Just jetting back and forth for both shows must be exhausting. And didn't Len have some kind of health scare recently - maybe cancer? But, I do think that some of Len's comments made toward some of the contestants could affect how the public votes. It could work for or against the celebrity dancer, so I would like to see Len take that into consideration when criticizing their effort on the show.

  8. #88
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    That said... I AM irritated that Chaz, Nancy and Rob are still in it, with Chaz in particular. He was decent enough this past week; however, he is pretty flatfooted and almost like that Master B guy. He is staying simply because he has a strong footing in the GLAAD community - not because he's a phenominal dancer. He's even admitted he's hurting right now, and yet he's passed through week after week. Then again - we can blame judges giving him high scores as well.

    I've already said my comment about Hope and Maks in more detail elsewhere but I'll say it again - Hope has a life more than dancing, and she is no worse than any of the three I listed above. She is also doing more positive things with her life in the community instead of being a freeloader based on name (Rob K) or a hangman's posse trying people in the media (Nancy Grace). I felt Len's comments were out of line given those circumstances.
    Ok - I have to comment...Chaz is NO WHERE near Master P...Chaz works hard, is really trying, despite being flat footed, overweight, and not very graceful. Master P never rehearsed (maybe 3 hours a week or so I seem to remember), just wanted to sell records, and only shuffled around with Ashley no matter what the style...but the Rap fans kept him in!! Chaz has been lowest on the leaderboard almost every week - he's NOT getting high scores compared to others.

    Agreed, Len had no business talking about Hope's life off the floor - many other stars had demanding jobs, and hers is not just demanding but PHYSICALLY demanding in a different way from dancing. She's doing great given how stressful and focused she has to be to do her job with the soccer team, she messes up? USA could lose by 1.

    Can't believe Rob (known for nothing other than name), and Nancy (who destroys people on air for a living...didn't anyone else watch her re: Casey Anthony??) - who's voting for them?

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Never heard of Strictly Come Dancing...sounds good - where do I find it? (night? network?)

  10. #90
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: 10/11 DWTS 13 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    Oh, my, I did not know that Len and Bruno are judging both shows at the same time. Just jetting back and forth for both shows must be exhausting. And didn't Len have some kind of health scare recently - maybe cancer? But, I do think that some of Len's comments made toward some of the contestants could affect how the public votes. It could work for or against the celebrity dancer, so I would like to see Len take that into consideration when criticizing their effort on the show.
    I had forgotten about that, but you're right. Strictly films live on Saturdays in the UK, although I don't know if their results show is live. Regardless, Len and Bruno have to be back here by Monday and Tuesday for our show, and then head back to England. All that aside, I still don't think it gives them any excuse to be cruel. I know their comments are supposed to be funny and tongue in cheek when they don't actually talk about the dancing, but it crosses the line sometimes to where it's cringe worthy. And I'm really bothered by them showing that remark he made about Hope. She seemed bugged by the fact he called her out as it is. Back during season 11, I hated how they called Maks out for a rehearsal package involving him smacking Brandy's butt. It seemed like they held that against them more than the actual dancing. I don't know if the comments hurt any contestant with the viewers, but it might not help if they point something out no one was thinking of that's not even really relevant.

    Never heard of Strictly Come Dancing...sounds good - where do I find it? (night? network?)
    It airs in the UK, so it's not on any network in the states that I'm aware of. I get my fix on Youtube. It's interesting to compare/contrast our version to international versions. Even with 4 judges, one contestant managed a combined score of 12 the first week (including a 1 from their resident meanie). With our 3 judges, getting below a 16 is pushing it. They have two pros from our version of SYTYCD (Artem, CA's old boyfriend, and Pasha, who I've often seen people wanting as a pro on ours). He said in an interview he was asked to join our version last spring, but had other commitments. One good thing about watching the international versions, you can't vote and don't know anyone, so you're not invested as much
    Last edited by karalott; 10-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.