+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

J.R. Martinez: Military Vet; Actor

Pro: Karina Smirnoff

In 2003, while serving in Iraq, J.R. Martinez received severe burns to more than 40 percent of his body. Now 28, Martinez is a motivational speaker when he's not acting on the ABC soap opera "All My Children," which he has been on since 2008. On the show, the Louisiana native plays Brot Monroe, a member of the U.S. Army who was injured in combat, much like Martinez's real life story.
    Last edited by JavaJo; 09-08-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Re: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

Ok, just reading about this guy inspires me to cheer him on. I hope he does well if for no other reason than because he is willing to get out there despite the disfigurement - especially to his face - and give it a good old American effort.
    What an inspiration he will be to other wounded Vets and even to other people who have disfigurements who will watch DWTS.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Will definitely be the inspirational story, and I hear he's one of the better dancers (if "insiders" are to be believed). Not surprised they'd partner him with Karina. She's gotten really mellow over the seasons, and I think they'll be the perfect partnership together. If he can move, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them there in the end. I'll be cheering for the, for the exact same reasons you said Bloomers. Especially to come on a show where it's all about the look and being pretty. Despite his disfigurement, I think he's got a pretty nice smile.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Really looking forward to seeing these two perform.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Some good articles about J.R.:

'Dancing With the Stars' Cast: Who Is J.R. Martinez? - Hollywood Reporter

From hospital to Hollywood: a Soldier's story | Article | The United States Army

The second article has some pretty graphic pics of J.R.'s injuries, so if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, you might want to avoid it or scroll down quickly.

I hope the rumors about J.R. being one of the stronger competitors is true. I just love him and I would love to see him make it to the end.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

This guy is fantastic on AMC, and you can just tell he is one of the good guys. I did not know his name off the show, but he is my pick to win, and I am thrilled he is on the show. I think he will win everyone over on DWTS just like he did on AMC. He is awesome.

I'm hoping he's around for quite a while. I've never watched the soap he's on but I've read about him and he seems like a really good guy.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

As an All My Children fan, I'll be rooting for JR. I've loved him since he was first introduced on AMC. The character he plays on the show seems like one of the few genuine people in Pine Valley and he's a real-life hero. Despite the scars he has on his face, he's not hard on the eyes, either! I wish he had been partnered with Cheryl because she's great at sizing her partner up and playing to their strengths whereas I find Karina to be more interested in making herself look good. However, with his positive attitude and strong work ethic, he should do great with whoever he's partnered with.

With so many AMC stars appearing on DWTS, they ought to have an episode with a dance competition before the show ends so they can show off their skills. I hope more stars from the show appear on DWTS in the future, even if they're no longer with AMC. I'd love to see Vincent Irizarry duke it out for the mirrored trophy ball!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Well, from watching the rehearsal video, it looks like J.R. is going to be one of the front runners. The man has grace and style.
    TonyDovolaniFan likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I'm SO excited about this pair. I'm a big Karina fan, and the more I read about JR, the more I like him. Such an inspiration. Hope they go far!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast