+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff: Season 13

I knew when I heard Len say he was holding him to a higher standard that he wasn't getting a 9 (not that I didn't know that before, since I saw the scores ahead of time). So why is it they hold some dancers to a certain standard but not others? People who clomp on the floor get 7s for trying, and they treat ringers as though they were shocked they could come out and pull something off like that. J.R. deserved to share the top spot last week, and deserved it this week alone. Maybe they're just trying to set him out as a front runner, even though it's obvious to the viewers? I forgot Karina's '3 stooges' comment during an interview last season. She was right, but don't cross the judges. Tony and Maks learned that the hard way.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

They got a 26, which is pretty darn good, so I don't think the judges were keeping their scores low. They judge based upon 3 or 4 different parameters - performance, difficulty, technique and maybe something else. Not sure I have that exactly right, but it's close. That's why CA takes off a point if you do an "illegal lift".

From the looks on their faces, I think the judges would have given J.R. & Karina all 11's if they could. It was a very powerful, moving dance.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Who is John Galt?

What can I say? I just watched it (on DVR) and was very touched. Having a son in the military and always fearful when he deploys, JR and his story probably moves more than anyone else who is or has been on this show. Besides his heroism and strength of character, he is a very good dancer. I think the judges are judging him by a little higher standard than the others, but he is also capable of more than most of the others as he is more talented with more of a natural ability. Carson is getting judged on his personality - not his dancing. But that is okay too. I enjoy Carson though so I don't resent his scores.

I am really, truly starting to get fed up with JR and Karina getting screwed every week in judges' scoring and encore dances.

If this is some kind of judges' backlash against Karina for whatever she did or didn't do last season, wore or (more usually, on this show) DIDN'T wear (and I wouldn't put it past 'em), said or DIDN'T say, then they REALLY need to grow up, build a bridge, get over it, and STOP punishing JR along with her, in the meantime.

The man can dance and perform, and facts are facts, Karina ain't no slouch, either.

I hope the two of them take it all the way home!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'd be fine with J.R. gettings 7s-if people like Chaz and Nancy were gettings 1s, 2s, and 3s. That's what I hate about the scoring on this show, and why I consider it pointless and meaningless. They keep it as close as they can help it so the fan vote will matter and Len can spout off it's the fans fault if there's a "shocking" elimination (ever consider people didn't forget to vote for a particular couple, but maybe just didn't like them?) Rob's dance as improved, but didn't deserve 3 8s; Nancy's waltz was lovely but no improvement over her quickstep; Chaz should have gotten 1s and 2s for walking (and I adore him, but Kate did more dancing). In fact, with what the judges said about Hope needing to work on her walk, what about the fact that's all Chaz's dance was? However, you start off this early giving 8s, 9s, and 10s (which are probably coming), then it's a given those couples will always be in that range. You start the night off delivering 3 8s, someone with a better performance but not 9 worthy gets 9s just because. The scoring needs an overhaul. Maybe the judges should forget basing it on technical stuff and vote for entertainment. That would probably expose bias even more and we'd never see below an 8. And lots of rule breaking. But the judges make no sense. CA takes off for lifts for one couple but has an excuse not to for someone else. Len calls someone out for one thing but someone else does something worse and nothing gets said. He holds J.R. to a different standard but gave him the same score as Rob.

I never expected J.R. to be the ringer of the group, but at least he's a front runner I can enjoy. And he's an actual hero who despite all he's gone through still lives life and enjoys it and smiles that beautiful smile. I think the fans will definitely rally to him if the judges start tearing him down. That's what I worry about later on; we've seen contestants on the good side of the judges in the beginning, but wind up getting thrown under the bus in the end.
    NittanyKenVB likes this.

I don't think the judges are scoring JR properly but I'm okay with it as long as he and Karina are at least in the second spot. It's the end that counts and if they keep underscoring him, the public will continue to be ticked and hopefully throw all their votes to them. If they are ranked number one week after week, you don't want to the public to become so complacent with assuming JR will win that they don't vote when it's really important for them to do so in the finals.
    moflan likes this.

As I see it JR has been underscored the whole season, not just this week. He is my choice to take it all. The thing I like most about JR is that he does more than move well, he dances. The difference is that he feels the music and he moves with it instead of around it. JR is able to tell a story with his dance the way the other competitors this season have not been able to do.
    moflan likes this.

I think it's safe to say we were all moved by his dance!! Just terrific.

Quick question - Karina looks totally different this season.
    Did she get a new nose? TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Loving JR on DWTS <3 I've watched his character on AMC for a few years and absolutely adore him! I can see him winning this, and not just because of his story. He's proving to be a great dancer and has the personality too! My ideal season will be for a Maks/Hope and Karina/JR final 2.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I think it's safe to say we were all moved by his dance!! Just terrific.

Quick question - Karina looks totally different this season.
    Did she get a new nose? TIA
    Karina had a nose job back when she was dating Mario Lopez, so I doubt she would have had another one (besides, that stuff usually gets out). She changed her hair color, and since she'd had the lighter hair for so long, it almost makes her look older. And I had actually missed her black hair, but I think the blonde highlights is a better look. That's the only difference I'm seeing (though her face looked a little different, but I equated it with her hair changing)

I still think, barring a complete surprise or getting thrown under the bus, J.R. is a lock for the finals and a possible win. Even taking away his war story, he'd still be an amazing dancer and a completely likeable, fun, down to earth guy. Being a veteran and injured in the line of duty only adds to his character. I agree with aname that it's easy to get behind someone like J.R., because his story seems to touch base with a lot of people at home. He isn't one of these Hollywood types we grew up watching or who got famous for the sake of being famous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast