+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ricki Lake & Derek Hough: Season 13

Re: Ricki Lake & Derek Hough: Season 13

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    'Cause if it was Shampoo, there would have been less dancing and she probably would've slept with Warren Beatty .
    That movie was so scandalous at the time it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    'I like Ricki, but find Derek kind of annoying, so they pretty much cancel each other out.
    I love Ricki and hope that both she and Carson stick around for a while.
    norealityhere and Fanny Mare like this.

Hmmm, their VW was OK. I liked it but not as much as Chynna and Tony's. I did like the color of that lavender dress on her.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Her jive did not deserve 2 8s, but I'm not surprised she got them. I like Ricki (always have), and she's definitely got natural ability there. But I feel like her personality is missing. We've done the girl whose struggled with her weight and was expected to come out and fail before. That jive was dull. Her outfit was horrible. And I don't get the over sexing or dry humping that went out. It just seemed out of place, especially for her. Derek should just stick to tradition and have Mark be the only rule breaking troll that outdances and gives flash and trash. I'm sure she's safe for the time being. I've always loved her personality, so I hope it comes out more. Right now I've found both her dances forgettable.
    JavaJo likes this.

I suspect it will be the encore dance tonight.

I find that I can accept crazy moves from Derek--and this dance had plenty of them--more so than I can from Mark. Mark was actually fairly well behaved except for a flip at the end of his dance. Derek, on the other hand, put all kinds of crazy things in the dance, from beginning to end. But for some reason, I like what Derek does and I think Mark is only about self promotion. Derek's moves really seemed to become part of the dance, Mark's flip seemed to be just a "look at me" move. I can see why Mark wonders about this sort of "unfair" fan reaction. I have to give credit to Derek for doing these crazy things in a way that comes across as daring but not bragging. Maybe it is as simple as the mugging for camera during the move--I think Derek looks at his partner, or at the judges, or audience, maybe even smirks, but Mark looks at the camera saying "Look at me! l'm just as good as Derek!"

So while I don't like Mark's antics, I'm pondering why. Even Tony had a crazy move his dance and it didn't bother me, so it isn't a crazy move in itself that is so annoying.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post

I find that I can accept crazy moves from Derek--and this dance had plenty of them--more so than I can from Mark. Mark was actually fairly well behaved except for a flip at the end of his dance. Derek, on the other hand, put all kinds of crazy things in the dance, from beginning to end. But for some reason, I like what Derek does and I think Mark is only about self promotion. Derek's moves really seemed to become part of the dance, Mark's flip seemed to be just a "look at me" move. I can see why Mark wonders about this sort of "unfair" fan reaction. I have to give credit to Derek for doing these crazy things in a way that comes across as daring but not bragging. Maybe it is as simple as the mugging for camera during the move--I think Derek looks at his partner, or at the judges, or audience, maybe even smirks, but Mark looks at the camera saying "Look at me! l'm just as good as Derek!"

So while I don't like Mark's antics, I'm pondering why. Even Tony had a crazy move his dance and it didn't bother me, so it isn't a crazy move in itself that is so annoying.
    Derek could break into the running man, the worm, and the YMCA during the rumba, and I don't think I'd think much of it (and he'd probably get 10s, too ) Mark annoys me by showing up. You always know he's going to have some spastic performance. If it's not the actual outdancing and manic moves, it's his facial expressions, his Michael Jackson impressions, or his clothes. Derek can be an annoying camera mugger and overdo the flashy aspects of his dance, but I think because he involves his partner in it is the difference. And he usually doesn't go mugging until after the dance. There's things about Derek that annoy me, like most of the pros, and I don't like the infatuation they have for him, but he's a good dancer. I didn't like their jive last night at all, or that hot pink nightmare Ricki was wearing. She's coming across a bit dull for me, and I was a fan. I'll continue rooting for her while voting for others, but it won't break my heart if they don't win. There's a bunch in front of her right now that I'd rather see hoist the trophy at the end. I don't know if Ricki would be better or worse with another partner. I know Derek can't help who he gets, or the scores he gets, or the fact that CA and Bruno seem to want him. Mark comes across as desperate. Back during season 11, even Derek said the whole monkey themed jive they did was too much. I don't know if I see Ricki winning, or even making the finals. I thought her VW, while forgettable, was better than her jive, which I remember for the wrong reasons. Whatever dance she has next week I may enjoy. Week 3 is always when they did the story week and mixed up 3 different dance styles. Wonder if they'll be doing that again. I wish they'd stick to just two styles a week until they start repeating the dances.

I really enjoy these two. I hope they stick around for awhile, at least until Maks is given the boot.I dislike him more than Mark for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick View Post

That's the big difference between Derek and Mark: When Derek does something outside the box, it's because he thinks it will make his partner look better, because that's always his priority. When Mark does something rebellious, he barely considers his partner, in fact he seems to add crap as a way to deflect attention from his partner, which is completely the wrong way to go about this show. His reasons seem to be more self-centered.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    That's the big difference between Derek and Mark: When Derek does something outside the box, it's because he thinks it will make his partner look better, because that's always his priority. When Mark does something rebellious, he barely considers his partner, in fact he seems to add crap as a way to deflect attention from his partner, which is completely the wrong way to go about this show. His reasons seem to be more self-centered.
    The pro group dance last night had a great comparision between Derek and Mark because they were featured for a few seconds together, both doing the same moves. I think I now understand the difference--when Derek does a crazy move, it looks so natural, like it is easy for him, like it is a natural expression of some thought--he just imagines it and does it. When Mark does the same move, it looks like something he spent a lot of time practicing, mechanical, forced, almost spastic. Still unclear if this perception is due to Mark being too mechanical or his injection of Michael Jackson into every move. In either case, I would probably find it much more pleasing during a solo.
    AZChristian likes this.

I think Mark is the way he is 1)comes from blood and 2) b/c of jealousy for Dereck. Dereck seems to have dance and musicality flowing from within in and it is natural but Mark's is more learned, forced.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Why does Derek always get the lady with previous dance experience? Can he teach someone with no experience. Same for Mark Ballas. I like both guys but they get the ringers. Ricki has done Hairspray. She isn't a ringer in the class of Jennifer Grey or the Pussycat Doll lady Nicole something but still she has danced before.

That said the HOTTEST dance I have ever seen on any season of DWTS was Derek and his sister Julieann's Jive - the one where she is dancing on the piano! WOW WOW WOW!!! They were schmokin'!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast