+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ricki Lake & Derek Hough: Season 13

Re: Ricki Lake & Derek Hough: Season 13

Who's to say that Hope won't be a challenge? Not all athletes are natural dancers. Remember Monica Seles? Yikes.

I think Maks has been challenged plenty: Debi Mazur, Willa Ford, Denise Richards... all borderline a-rhythmic. Tia Carrere was pretty bad too.

Of all the pros, I think Derek's had it the easiest time with partners. They weren't all "ringers," but they were all middle of the pack or better...mostly better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Who's to say that Hope won't be a challenge? Not all athletes are natural dancers. Remember Monica Seles? Yikes.

I think Maks has been challenged plenty: Debi Mazur, Willa Ford, Denise Richards... all borderline a-rhythmic. Tia Carrere was pretty bad too.

Of all the pros, I think Derek's had it the easiest time with partners. They weren't all "ringers," but they were all middle of the pack or better...mostly better.
    I didn't think Tia and Willa were too bad. Willa I thought got shafted, but season 3 had a few surprising eliminations. And no Master P to blame it on. Derek's lowest placement, I believe, was 6th with Shannon Elizabeth. Every other pro has gone earlier than that at least once, if not more than that. Even fan (and possible producer) faves Mark, Maks, Cheryl, and Julianne, when she was on, got partners that were challenging either dance and/or attitude wise. Poor Tristan in his debut attempt is getting stuck with Nancy Grace! I don't think the show lost anything without Derek. If he manages to win a 4th time, I really hope it's his last season. It's obvious the die hard Derek supporters would vote for him with anyone (and, as I stated before, I think there's a difference between plain old fans and those that would heap praise no matter what he was dancing with). I think Ricki and Maks would have made a pretty nice pair Or Ricki and Tony. I like her, so despite not wanting Derek to do well, I've always enjoyed Ricki and will look forward to her however long she's on the show. I wonder if the audience will chant 'go Ricki!' like her studio audience used to.

FORT Fogey

I like Derek and adore Ricki!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I love Derek, I find his enthusiasm for dance so raw and contagious. He just can't hide how much he loves to dance and puts his everything into it. He seems to be sensitive to the remarks people were making about his OTT antics and toned it down. All in all I find him a delight. Not many people get to do what they truly love and have it show all over them. Some of the others are seeming like they are doing it for the paycheck, even Maks to me seems that way although perhaps it's not true and I do like him. He complains and sometimes says inappropriate things, he wears his feelings on his sleeve a bit too much, but I do like Maks very much, but the show can only have one of someone like him so I'm glad there's Derek! I just love how Derek is making hay while the sun shines and he can certainly bring it when he is on stage. It's nice to see. I think he will have fun with Ricki who seems like a nice person and hopefully they will just enjoy the competition and what will be will be. I can only remember a few of the names of the people who were on from one season to the next anyway. Good thing Fort has them in a post!!!
    norealityhere and Fanny Mare like this.

I so enjoyed last season without Derek, would have been better without Mark also, but anyway, looks like I'll be fast forwarding a couple of times during the show now instead of just once.

I was bummed when he got Ricki. He needs to prove he is as good as everyone claims by getting a dud.

JMO
    Some Heros wear capes....mine wears combat boots and kevlar....

Who is John Galt?

I would think that Ricki Lake would be the favorite to win. Remember - she was the star of that movie (I think it was Shampoo) when she was a chubby teenager. She had to dance a lot in that movie and she was terrific. I doubt that sense of rhythm and musicality was lost when she grew up and lost weight.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2 View Post
    I would think that Ricki Lake would be the favorite to win. Remember - she was the star of that movie (I think it was Shampoo) when she was a chubby teenager. She had to dance a lot in that movie and she was terrific. I doubt that sense of rhythm and musicality was lost when she grew up and lost weight.
    It was Hairspray.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    It was Hairspray.
    'Cause if it was Shampoo, there would have been less dancing and she probably would've slept with Warren Beatty

I like Ricki, but find Derek kind of annoying, so they pretty much cancel each other out.
    Bunny555 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    'Cause if it was Shampoo, there would have been less dancing and she probably would've slept with Warren Beatty

I like Ricki, but find Derek kind of annoying, so they pretty much cancel each other out.
    I saw a promo tonight that featured Derek, and while I didn't catch the whole thing the announcer said, it mentioned that Derek Hough was back and dancing with Ricki (who they cut to sitting next to him and she said no pressure). So I'm assuming what I missed in the rest of the voice over was something about his 3 wins. I know there's people happy Derek is back; I'm not one of them, mainly because I don't want another Hough/Ballas winning. In rehearsals, Ricki seems to take to dance naturally, and with her fan base (not to mention his), she's probably around awhile. Like you, I adore her, not so much him, so I don't really want her winning based on association. Aside from Chaz, however, I feel like Hope/Maks are starting to get more of the pre-season hype compared to some of the other couples. For David Arquette being the most well known name, I've barely heard anything about him

Ricki/Derek's first dance is the VW, so while I think she'll do well in either style, I think ballroom will be her strong suit. The older, curvy female shaking her stuff isn't anything new on here so she doesn't have that angle going for her. It'll be interesting if the judges are as giddy, cranky, cruel, and bias as ever or if the last two seasons will make them step back. Seems like other shows are starting to suffer based on their judging panels.

FORT Fogey

The celebs are the contest, not the dance pro. I am always disappointed when I hear people not wanting a dance pro to win. It will be Ricki winning, not Derek.
    norealityhere likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast