+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

FORT Fogey

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Quote Originally Posted by mnmhughes View Post
    I actually think that it would be really great to switch up partners during the course of the show. Whether they switch up just for one night -- like their theme for the week -- or make them draw out of the hat, similar to SYTYCD. While I know there would be height issues, etc., it would be interesting for the viewers and beneficial for the pros and the stars.
    I don't think height really should be an issue--wasn't it Cheryl who had to go up to four inch heels in order to dance with a basketball player? If she can do that, the guys can dance with a woman taller than they are too. Besides, how often do they cast an exceptionally tall woman?

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I believe the judges comments, scores, Brooke's questions are all scripted, just like the rehearsal packages. It creates the story, the edit, the image of the season. Tom has always had good things to say about Maks, which is why I think a lot of what we see is either edit or just his passion for the dance and wanting it to be right. I
    I think we need to STOP making excuses for Maks' behavior. Really.

It is not the 'editing' or the the 'scripting'. No one can make Maks behave like a jerk if he was not a jerk to begin with.

This is not the first time he has acted out when he has not liked his partner. His first big outburst with the judges was when he had Brandy (who, BTW, could really dance, but you could tell he couldn't stand her). Anytime he gets someone he doesn't like, he is distant, condescending, rude, obnoxious, and down right mean. There has always been this side to him, and I think it's getting worse.

And did I mention that it is also unprofessional for him to act this way?

I also fault Hope for having so little self-worth that she puts up with this behavior. I have no doubt that she could have been a very different dancer if she had another instructor - Mark, Derek, Tristan, whomever.

I used to be a big fan of his, and always made excuses for him. But I am done with that. Maks can be nice to people when he wants to be, and downright cruel when he doesn't like someone.
    norealityhere and Living like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkp View Post

It is not the 'editing' or the the 'scripting'. No one can make Maks behave like a jerk if he was not a jerk to begin with.

This is not the first time he has acted out when he has not liked his partner. His first big outburst with the judges was when he had Brandy (who, BTW, could really dance, but you could tell he couldn't stand her). Anytime he gets someone he doesn't like, he is distant, condescending, rude, obnoxious, and down right mean. There has always been this side to him, and I think it's getting worse.

I also fault Hope for having so little self-worth that she puts up with this behavior. I have no doubt that she could have been a very different dancer if she had another instructor - Mark, Derek, Tristan, whomever.

I used to be a big fan of his, and always made excuses for him. But I am done with that. Maks can be nice to people when he wants to be, and downright cruel when he doesn't like someone.

I would believe Hope's words before anyone else's - she likes Maks - she says they are friends & he's a great teacher. Case closed!
    carcutelea likes this.

Well, the show tries to crack down on the celebs and pros saying anything negative during the season. I'd be more interested in what Hope says 6 months from now.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Well, the show tries to crack down on the celebs and pros saying anything negative during the season. I'd be more interested in what Hope says 6 months from now.

I agree

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'll stick with what I've seen since watching Maks from season 2, and going by what the other pros and contestants (including Tom, who has often defended him) have said, and not by a minute or two of a piece that we likely didn't see the whole story. Maks is often seen as the hot head who will blow up and be the most outspoken. That's his role on the show, and unfortuantely, the show can take it too far sometimes in their editing (and that can go for anyone, not just Maks). Until I see and hear different things from those involved, I'll continue supporting Maks on and off the show. I really don't think Hope has so little self worth and don't see why people think she's enabling him by defending him or staying friends with him, or thinking she has to. Maybe she's doing those things because they are friends? Hope seems like a tough woman, so I doubt Maks is beating her down any. The show maybe, but I can see why both Hope and Maks would be frustrated with how things have gone this season. Maybe this will teach Maks to request a partner so far in advance again

I agree. But given the fact Maks has stayed friends with some of his past partners (including Brandy), and is friends with all of the pros (I think-except Karina, but that's obvious), I can't believe he's that much of a jerk. He must just play one on TV
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2011 at 11:11 PM.

I don't think he's a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. I just think that he's at a crossroads right now. He was the Ukrainian (or wherever) Bachelor, and he's probably wondering if he should be looking to do bigger and better things -- but where would that even be? This probably makes the annoying parts of continuing to do this show seem 5 times as annoying to him, like the inconsistent scoring, having a partner with a bad attitude, being hamstrung by all these themes while trying to do good choreography, and the fact that he doesn't respect most of the judges' opinions, and the fact that he still hasn't won a season...he's only human. I would imagine he has stuff like this simmering underneath a lot of his words and actions.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I don't think he's a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. I just think that he's at a crossroads right now. He was the Ukrainian (or wherever) Bachelor, and he's probably wondering if he should be looking to do bigger and better things -- but where would that even be? This probably makes the annoying parts of continuing to do this show seem 5 times as annoying to him, like the inconsistent scoring, having a partner with a bad attitude, being hamstrung by all these themes while trying to do good choreography, and the fact that he doesn't respect most of the judges' opinions, and the fact that he still hasn't won a season...he's only human. I would imagine he has stuff like this simmering underneath a lot of his words and actions.
    And he's clearly not the only pro who feels or has felt that way - the others have just either kept quiet or left the show.
    nanarama and Daisoo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

and yet he is friends with all his past partners. how do you explain that. he keeps in touch with brandy but you said he didn't like her. he has remained friends with just about every single one of his past partners.

Maks is like the White Shaolin Priest in the Kill Bill movie sent to prepare the neighborhood kung fu club for a local tournament. Everyone thinks they should win due to their impressive master, but they never win. Must be bad students. If only he had some ringers like the other clubs...

(Just watch the scene on youtube, imagine Maks in the role! Sounds like idea for filler...)

I don't really care if the show wants to keep some oddball Pros that are fan favorites but will never win, but I do feel bad for Hope since I picked her and she is clearly miserable. The brief smiles we've seen when she's worked with other Pros look way too much like the reaction of a person in a desperate situation.

I would rather her stay than Nancy or Rob, so if she looks less miserable I'll vote for her this week.

+ Reply to Thread