+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Dancing's Maks: Chynna's Elimination Was Discouraging - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

Mak's blog for the week. It's pretty lengthy, but he touches on CA (love this little jab):

Tony is upset, it kills me. He was so happy this season. He wanted to go all the way. He had an amazing dancer in Chynna. It feels like, there are some couples that do one tiny thing well, the judges glom to it. They love it. Then there are couples no matter what they do, one thing they miss on that is noticed, they harp on it. J.R.'s dance was probably the best male foxtrot of the night. I thought it was phenomenal. For Carrie Ann to comment the way she did, we were like, "What is she talking about?" I'm 31 years old. I've spent 27 of them ballroom dancing and I've spent the last five years doing the show and all types of dancing. I've done everything. I've done competitions, Broadway, TV, radio, producing, and teaching. I'm saying right now that Carrie Ann does not have more experience. If none of us know what she's talking about, then we have a problem. We had no idea what she was saying. The Pink Panther is a comedy! It was like, "Where is this coming from?"
    And Len's comment regarding Hope:
    As for Len's comment that Hope is not committed, I think it's a heavily produced moment. The judges have no idea nor do they particularly care how much we rehearse. For him to say stuff like that, he was told to say it. I don't know what the point is, but it is what it is.
    Plus I guess a lot of OTT messing about might be more the producers doing than the pros. I kind of miss the days of no themes, just regular dancing:

We have the tango next week and rehearsals are going great so far. It is '80s week and I didn't really want to incorporate anything, but producers insisted. I mean, an '80s tango just sounds weird. But I have a good idea and a good story.

Why can't the producers leave it all alone and let the dances speak for themselves! Gheez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    Why can't the producers leave it all alone and let the dances speak for themselves! Gheez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I said in the episode thread I felt Derek's choreography got Ricki the 10s this week, not her dancing. But it makes me wonder if that's what the judges mainly base their scores on, aside from maybe Len, is how many gimmicks, stories, themes, props, wacky costumes and entrances/exits, funny hats, etc, the couple can use in 90 seconds to entertain. We know it's not a real dance competition, and I'd bet the majority of the audience votes on entertainment, just like the judges do. CA doesn't know what she's talking about in regard to ballroom dance, and anytime she opens her mouth that becomes more and more obvious. I think throwing in her lift police makes it look like she can justify taking points off if she wants or gives her some credit that she knows what she's talking about. I think she just plays favorites, and her OTT tears, screeching, whopping, hollering, and cougar antics have gotten old. She's been tweeting that the producers might let them dress up for Halloween, so she's asking for costume ideas. A few people said the judges should go as the 3 stooges, which I think if appropriate I just hate how, if the pros don't want to take the risks of throwing in props and gimmicks and stunts, that they lose out either way. And it looks like it's their fault, when the producers are behind it. Anything they need to change they don't, but fix things that ain't broke. I didn't mind the days when the couples just danced, and didn't swing down onto the stage, do the worm in the middle of a VW, or add in 20 seconds of "messing about" and getting 10s when the dancing wasn't there.

Speaking of producers fault, someone tweeted Maks that DWTS wasn't a hobby, and he needed to treat it as a full time job and to focus more on getting Hope ready (paraphrasing there). So a negative edit can also help get a better dancer kicked to the curb sooner, and TPTB wonder why. Shocking eliminations aren't so shocking and watercooler worthy anymore, just like bad hoofers making it to the end. I just wish the judges would be more consistant and fair. It seems like every couple is at a different level with them, and some get royally screwed while others benefit more than they should.

From Hope's twitter:

The competitions I live for are ones with clear winners and losers,not ones that are based on popularity and judges subjective opinions.#fb
    If she wasn't on the judges blacklist already, she probably will be after this (truthfully, I don't think they like being told they're wrong or play favorites). It may sound like sour grapes but this season is probably the worst when it comes to playing favorites and popularity. Chaz stinks as a dancer. Nancy stinks as a dancer. But barely any whisper of criticism is said about it, and then the likes of Hope and J.R. are dinged for minor and pointless stuff while others get away with not even dancing. I really hope they modify the 3 stooges and scoring next season, although if they do, it'll probably be worse. Maks seems checked out, and I know I'll be once he gets the boot Carson probably isn't far behind.
    jucamer likes this.

I dunno -- while Hope is definitely better than Chaz, I seriously would question that she's better overall than Nancy at this point. Hope has the athleticism and the ability to do more acrobatic moves, but she still doesn't follow through, or extend her arms, and she still isn't able to put a unified performance together with any sense of story or character. She still looks like she's going from step to step, just trying to get through the 2 minutes.

Nancy's dances aren't as difficult and she needs to be more energetic, but she has improved to the point where she puts on an actual performance with Tristan, and can get through the dance without it seeming like root canal.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    From Hope's twitter:

If she wasn't on the judges blacklist already, she probably will be after this (truthfully, I don't think they like being told they're wrong or play favorites). It may sound like sour grapes but this season is probably the worst when it comes to playing favorites and popularity. Chaz stinks as a dancer. Nancy stinks as a dancer. But barely any whisper of criticism is said about it, and then the likes of Hope and J.R. are dinged for minor and pointless stuff while others get away with not even dancing. I really hope they modify the 3 stooges and scoring next season, although if they do, it'll probably be worse. Maks seems checked out, and I know I'll be once he gets the boot Carson probably isn't far behind.
    Oh my, the truth hurts, and you are probably right. Hope is most likely the one going home tonight, but if not, she better get ready for next week's scores from the judges. With them she can't win for losing, so I guess that she just felt like she had nothing to lose by voicing her opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I dunno -- while Hope is definitely better than Chaz, I seriously would question that she's better overall than Nancy at this point. Hope has the athleticism and the ability to do more acrobatic moves, but she still doesn't follow through, or extend her arms, and she still isn't able to put a unified performance together with any sense of story or character. She still looks like she's going from step to step, just trying to get through the 2 minutes.

Nancy's dances aren't as difficult and she needs to be more energetic, but she has improved to the point where she puts on an actual performance with Tristan, and can get through the dance without it seeming like root canal.
    I think that's a good point, though, is how difficult each celeb's choreography is, and whether they're being rewarded for being mediocre or slammed for doing something small and minor. It surprised me when Hope was announced on the line up, as she squashed the rumors and said she had two left feet. I think the partnership, or what was expected of it, fell flat. Maks seems burned out. I know he was down when his brother got the boot. I just think the judges need a different way of scoring. I'd like them to explain how they score, and whether they score everyone at their own level or in comparision. Because while Chaz actually showed some sign of dancing last night, he didn't deserve to be 3 points behind Hope and Ricki. I can get Hope's point about popularity, just like I can Chynna and Kristin. Yes, it's a popularity contest, and always has been, but they should save the popularity part for the viewers, not the judges. They should do a halfway decent job of judging and not being bias, and CA needs to reel in her inner fan girl. It's just an embarrassment. I feel sorry for Tom, and all the couples not named Ricki/Derek, J.R./Karina, Rob/Cheryl and Chaz,/Lacey, having to endure not only Brooke this season, but also the 3 stooges. Tom should get his own mirrorball for that. It's just like season 11, where Bristol got a pass for clomping, but other celebs got marked down because the judges thought they pointed their toe funny. Except this season seems worse. It's like the dropping ratings (which did actually improve from last week slightly), are making them try even more to make it less fun and more annoying and obnoxious. I think Hope knows she's on borrowed time, so why not just end it now. I'll keep voting for them, then Carson, then I don't care. Maybe that's the best way to watch these types of shows I wonder if the judges were ticked by Maks's remark in his blog last week.

I didn't know much about Hope, so I looked her up on the internet. And I get the idea that she is very outspoken - sometimes to her own detriment - but most of all extremely competitive. That competitive side of her probably makes her very hard on herself when she does not compete at a high level, and DWTS is proving to be a challenge that she struggles with. She seems to be letting the judges' comments get into her head too, because it feels so personal to her.

Hope does not seem to be enjoying herself, but like I said, I think that she is frustrated. That frustration is coming across in her body language. She isn't smiling and is giving off the vibe that she doesn't want to be there anymore. I hope that she can pull it together next week and put on her best performance of the season, so that even if she goes home, she will at least go out on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    I didn't know much about Hope, so I looked her up on the internet. And I get the idea that she is very outspoken - sometimes to her own detriment - but most of all extremely competitive. That competitive side of her probably makes her very hard on herself when she does not compete at a high level, and DWTS is proving to be a challenge that she struggles with. She seems to be letting the judges' comments get into her head too, because it feels so personal to her.

Hope does not seem to be enjoying herself, but like I said, I think that she is frustrated. That frustration is coming across in her body language. She isn't smiling and is giving off the vibe that she doesn't want to be there anymore. I hope that she can pull it together next week and put on her best performance of the season, so that even if she goes home, she will at least go out on a high note.

Yes and it's rubbing off on Maks. I miss the Maks from last season when he had Kirstie - he seemed like he was having a ball. In one of last night's packages he just looked like he wanted it over with. Maybe it's because Val And Tony are gone, maybe he is fed up with the rotten judging I dunno - he just looks beat up. Poor Maks
    karalott and anemone like this.

I agree with both your posts, Longhornfan and jucamer. Maks knows he's not winning, and he's not making the finals, and that the judges are going to keep finding something wrong with Hope. If anything, I feel he's more upset and frustrated that the experience went sour for her than for himself. He takes great pride in his dancing and promoting ballroom, and the show certainly isn't what it used to be when he signed up in season 2 (I'd even say from a few seasons ago). Maks himself said, either in a blog or an interview, that Hope was letting the judges comments get to her and it was making her feel insecure. They aren't judging fair, and frankly I don't think they have the right saying she needs to be more feminine (how about just letting her be who she is), or that she's not putting in enough time (how would they know? Everyone's different). This season, as well as the last 2 fall seasons, seemed to take a toll on Maks. Hopefully he returns in the spring, refreshed and with a contender. I'd like to see him win at least once before he leaves the show for good (which I worry might be coming ) Since he hinted around that the only reason he came back this season was because of Val, then it must be hard that his brother and BFF were gone so early. Especially since both had somewhat decent partners that were lacking a fanbase.
    nanarama likes this.

+ Reply to Thread