+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

FORT Fogey

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

That's the key to me Karalott. Not only did no other past partner complain, many of them remained very close with him including Kirstie, Erin, Misty and Mel. It is by true that women are often too scared to come forward. But those women usually don't remain close friends with an abusive coworker when they no longer have to work with him.
    karalott, AZChristian and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Most women don't come forward, that's true. I wonder why Hope came forward now....oh, that's right - scandal sells lots of books. Maybe it happened, although I doubt it did. For me, it seems awfully convenient and I might be more apt to believe her if she didn't reveal this - and the "abuse" from her former coach - in a new book that she is trying to sell.
    The book was written some time ago. Someone else came forward with this part in the book.The more I read, the more I think some of this is the truth.Why wouldnt he sue for defamation of character????

.I think he's a bully .This just might make him take note for this season .Maybe its the wake up call he needs. Or maybe he wont do another season, oh that's right, since 2007 he's being saying he's done with this show.

Oh well, soon this will blow over and DWTS will be up and running.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I do agree that he was out of line with the shoving incident and I think he knew that pretty much the second it happened.

When people talk about how he shoved her around in rehearsal is this: when someone stands like a limp noodle, with no strength in their frame, it does look like they're being flung about because there's no resistance. I love Maks and pretty much root for him every season, but I really did not like Hope. I thought she came into it with a crummy attitude. I was surprised, because most of the other athletes who have been on the show are tough - hard workers and really competitive. Yes, Maks is a tough teacher, but I don't think he's a tyrant. If he was, he wouldn't have a career. It seems from the start that Hope didn't really want to be there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've mentioned before that my thoughts about Maks grew more and more positive when I watched him complete in that athletic compeition (I think it was called The Superstars) where he was the amateur working with a female professional athlete. I think he was paired iwth Kristi Leskinen and I know that he won. As the amateur, I saw a superb work ethic combined with nothing but respect for his pro and his competitors. What I took from that was that he does not ask anything of his dance partners when he's pthe pro that he isn't willing go do himself when he isn't. I saw no ego, just a desire to do his best.
    karalott, chrisg and jucamer like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I do agree that he was out of line with the shoving incident and I think he knew that pretty much the second it happened.

When people talk about how he shoved her around in rehearsal is this: when someone stands like a limp noodle, with no strength in their frame, it does look like they're being flung about because there's no resistance. I love Maks and pretty much root for him every season, but I really did not like Hope. I thought she came into it with a crummy attitude. I was surprised, because most of the other athletes who have been on the show are tough - hard workers and really competitive. Yes, Maks is a tough teacher, but I don't think he's a tyrant. If he was, he wouldn't have a career. It seems from the start that Hope didn't really want to be there.
    Remember when he took a break( I think he was in pain) and Derek and one of the troupe took over- she lightened right up.( and danced better after that) It doesn't matter if he is tough, these are not dancers, and he cannot expect them to do as he thinks they should. You can only push someone so far.I didn't like what I saw, but thats just me. I have never had a teacher treat me like that.. That was the same time he was bitter at the judges and badmouthed Len. He has little respect for them, well that works both ways.One of these days he will tweet he is leaving, and perhaps they will say good!! and yes., we all know he has his fans. But if they all want to believe only his side, that's up to them.

This is a reality show- nothing more, nothing less.
    norealityhere likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

The crux of the matter is, if someone abused you, why would you continue to send positive tweets, go out to dinner with him and offer him Olympic tickets? The whole thing is just too convenient along with the release of the book. People are talking about it (which will translate to more sales.) If the acusation were not made, would anyone of us have even heard that she wrote a book? Or cared?

I see Maks as passionate and demanding and he may have gone too far with the push, but it seems to me that Hope is exagerating to fuel book sales.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

All I know is I didn't like Hope, thought she didn't want to be there and the competitive spirit never kicked in for her. Was it because of Maks? Who knows? I do know that he is a tough teacher and I think he teaches in the same way he was taught. He may/may not go outside of the box in his teaching techniques and try different things because we aren't shown that.

This story could be exaggerated a bit, particularly the slap across the face. We did see him 'shove' her in a rehearsal package so I'll give her that. I doubt he would slap her though, no matter how angry he got, that show is his bread and butter. He would have been fired. Although he does bring in the ratings, abusive behaviour would not be tolerated.
    karalott, AZChristian and jucamer like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    All I know is I didn't like Hope, thought she didn't want to be there and the competitive spirit never kicked in for her. Was it because of Maks? Who knows? I do know that he is a tough teacher and I think he teaches in the same way he was taught. He may/may not go outside of the box in his teaching techniques and try different things because we aren't shown that.

This story could be exaggerated a bit, particularly the slap across the face. We did see him 'shove' her in a rehearsal package so I'll give her that. I doubt he would slap her though, no matter how angry he got, that show is his bread and butter. He would have been fired. Although he does bring in the ratings, abusive behaviour would not be tolerated.
    Shoving shouldn't be allowed.
    -Andy Rooney-

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    The crux of the matter is, if someone abused you, why would you continue to send positive tweets, go out to dinner with him and offer him Olympic tickets? The whole thing is just too convenient along with the release of the book. People are talking about it (which will translate to more sales.) If the acusation were not made, would anyone of us have even heard that she wrote a book? Or cared?

I see Maks as passionate and demanding and he may have gone too far with the push, but it seems to me that Hope is exagerating to fuel book sales.
    Well said nana. Here's something else that bothers me about her accusations: Hope claims that the producers offered her the chance to switch pros and that they'd fire Maks if she wanted them to. Now, I can see them offering her a new pro if it got uncomfortable for her. Kelly Osbourne wasn't originally paired with Louis, but didn't like her chosen partner, so they swapped. Going as far back as Denise, and perhaps even further, every one of Maks's partners have requested him (except Hope, he asked for her-and probably regrets it now). However, giving her the ability to decide whether he's fired? No, not buying it. The show could have easily given her a new pro and, if they didn't want to say why, passed it off as a story about Maks being injured and needing to sit out for the rest of the season. We've seen other pros fill in during the show when a pro has to be out due to illness or injury, or fill in during rehearsals. Sometimes I cringe at what comes out of Maks's mouth or his actions, but in the end, I'd rather him be outspoken and a tough teacher who attempts to get the most out of his students than a dull as a dishwasher personality who's celeb basically takes over the training and who you forget is there every week. There's a reason why Maks is brought back every season, and why certain pros (Louis *sniff*, Dmitry, Damian) are not. There's a ton of footage we never see. Maybe other pros have shoved their partners, and they can't get rid of Maks because he'd call foul. Look at how they glossed over the whole Jaleel incident last season. I don't know what part of that was true and what wasn't, but the show seemed to ignore it entirely. They could have easily edited out the shove and we'd never know. So that's why I won't completely call Hope a liar. But, something doesn't smell right here. And, as the common theme of most of the posts here, her timing is a little too perfect with these claims, considering she and Maks were buddy buddy a week ago. Even though she just won a gold medal at the Olympics, I wouldn't have known she was coming out with a book, nor would the media likely have cared.

I think you're absolutely right that Maks seems to teach like he was taught. He knows this is a TV show, not a real dance competition, but he seems to still have the hard time seperating the two, and wanting his celebs to look the absolute best that he knows they're capable of. Maks is one of the few pros who, despite knowing it's a TV show, still aims to be a ballroom purist. I'd hate to think Hope would make something up like this, but I feel like she's an opportunist.
    AZChristian and jucamer like this.

FWIW, Hope was on ESPN's SportsCenter live Friday am. Interviewed her about the Olympics, her father, her comments against Brandi Chastain, and then got into the stuff with Maks and the coach.

The jist of what she said in response to him saying the two men denied it (I didn't know Maks flat out denied it, beyond the cryptic tweet) was that she wasn't surprised and expected them to. She said that obviously lawyers (I interpreted that as the lawyers from her book company) looked into her claims before publishing because you can't just make something like that up and put it in a book if it's false, because of the potential legal repercussions.

The guy interviewing her asked her why she waited until now to talk, and her response was (paraphrased) "Why did I wait until now to talk about my homeless father? Why wait until now to talk about my mother's alcoholism?" She basically went on to say she wanted to speak the truth about her life, in all aspects, and now had the courage/confidence to do so.

I don't know what's true and what's not, but just thought I would share. FWIW, I knew about her book coming out roughly a month ago, and I'm not a soccer fan, but I am aware of sports happenings in general, to a point.

+ Reply to Thread