+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Re: Hope Solo & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Season 13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I noticed that Hope and Maks weren't on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Instead, the three finalists were. Anyone know what's up with that?
    No and they were originally scheduled to be on Good Morning America but it was also changed to the three finalists. I'm curious what's happening.

ETA: Just found this: Dancing With The Stars 2011: Hope Solo refuses to do interviews after elimination | Mail Online
    Last edited by TIA__MA; 11-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Both Hope and Maks are very bitter and it seems silly at this point. The judges have been very harsh with them, to be sure, and there is an animosity between the judges and Maks that is overt. Hope was not good enough to win so she made it 9 weeks. Let it go and stop avoiding the press. It is only a TV show.
    Well, I can see on the face value it's a bit silly... however, there's more to it.

When you're belittled and treated as bad as these two were in the show and edited to look bad when they responded, it will have a major effect on their lives outside of the show. For example, the US soccer team could decide to not have Hope on the team because they remember she was negative to the press about her not being able to stop the goals in the World Cup game.

I picked Hope before the season, and even changed my avatar to match, so my closing thoughts:

Hope has an attitude about life that is poorly suited to subjective competitions. Combine that with Maks' attitude, and CA's hatred of Maks, and the resulting drama wasn't surprising.

Hope wasn't the best dancer, not as good as she thinks she was. Her routines looked more like a lady's gynastics floor event than a ballroom dance--very muscular, set to music, but not really a good dance.

The judges coddled many "stars" but assumed they could pick on Hope, as an athelete, but she had thinner skin than they expected. They envisioned her from Day 1 as a finalist and judged her by that high standard, while others were treated as you would expect someone learning to dance would be treated. The fact that this created bitterness wasn't a surprise, but the judges were surprised when that bitterness came out, and surprised that voters kept her on the show long enough for it to become uncomfortable.

It is true that many better dancers left before Hope. On the other hand Rob Kardasian may now be the favorite in the finals (!), so I can't complain about Hope making it to #4.

So what of the future? Maks is a pretty boy, but he isn't much of a teacher. Even if he somehow gets his act together, he is never going to win with CA there. Do the producers keep both of them around for the drama? I wouldn't mind if they both left.

The producers need to seriously review the judging situation, not just the judges themselves, but also the tone of comments. Audience boo'ing has to stop unless there is a really serious lapse. A more objective criteria is required than giving a 10 for different reasons to different people. It is unpleasant to watch, not just for Hope. This season I found myself voting more to spite the judges than for actual dances. I also found myself asking "why am I watching this show?"

FORT Fogey

I have to disagree about Maks not being a good teacher. He certainly didn't work well with Hope, at least until the end. And he and Brandi were not outstanding together. But outside of those two, he's had some great relationships with his partners, and many of them have proved to be great dancers. He's had enough chemistry with partners that the show eluded to him having romantic relationships with Willa Ford and Erin Andrews. I also remembering many people wishing that Mel B would leave her fiancee at the time for Maks. He also had noticably great relationships with Kirstie Alley and Laila Ali. I don't think that he's got the kind of teaching style that can adapt to accomodate all different styles of learning. But he's done very well with enough different partners that I don't think its fair to say he's just a bad teacher.
    karalott, GabbyG, TIA__MA and 4 others like this.

I'm in the group that says Maks himself isn't a bad teacher. His style is honestly not for everyone, and as we've seen sometimes his "arguments" are actually quite funny because you look at the deeper meaning of it. He's also had some great dancers - and I hate saying it but thanks to that WTA dance, I think it created a whiplash effect to the point people were voting for the eventual winner just so Chelsea and Mark wouldn't win. While I think they ended up with a deserving winner, I think that the stupid dance at the final four that cost Ralph a spot in the finals, we also harmed Kirstie and Maks' chances.

This pairing wasn't the best for Maks - not at all, and I think he'll reconsider asking for a certain partner in the future. That said, neither he nor Hope deserved the treatment they got on set or off (this case not being allowed to do the media tour). They suffered enough during the show, the least that could've been done was to let him speak out - or at least say he was retiring/leaving if they have dismissed him. (or I guess they're afraid of the backlash from fans if that has happened that's why they're not saying anything.)
    TIA__MA likes this.

Shoepie, TIA__MA and Coco46 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1945 View Post
    Good for her. Maks is always sorry after his actions. It seems like his blow up with Len and his treatment towards Hope were starting to take a life of their own in the media. I thought last night all the clips were trying to do damage control for him showing a softer side. It almost seemed unnatural to me, since that's not what we have seen for the past seasons.
    I think it all backfired on him( them) Hope has come across on most media outlets as being a sore loser, or a poor sport.She can thank Maks for that, all this whining is so over done.Most of DWTS fans have moved on.

I cant wait for Monday when the the best dancers for this season dance
    WTG dancers!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

As for Hope/Maks: I really wish this partnership could have worked out. I said before that I don't know what made Maks request Hope so early on, but it's certainly been the first season where a pro openly says in advance who they like to have as a partner, and then wind up getting them. I think Maks was expecting a lot more of the dynamic he had with Laila, Kirstie, and Mel, and unfortuantely, got a chemistry more like Denise Richards. I think Hope was too competitive for her own good and took a silly little dance show too personally. I can't really blame her entirely on that part, though. It'd make me wonder if a celeb that wasn't looking for any olive branch of fame and would do anything for it would ever question doing the show, given the editing that's involved, and the judges comments. Hope's image took a beating, whether due entirely to her own fault or the fault of the editors (probably a mix of both). I wish we could have seen the Hope/Maks we got this past week, or week 1, where Hope called Maks out for being girly, or just let loose on the dance floor. I can't say she wasn't overscored or overpraised at times, but so was virtually everyone else, so it evens out (including 2 of the final 3). I really hope Maks returns next season and perhaps can finally snag the mirrorball, if he's not up against a Hough or a Steeler. But given his comments and his own shedding the light on judges comments being scripted and them playing favorites, I think he might have been saying what some of the other pros were feeling but didn't dare say, and what some of the fans have been saying. I hope the show re-examines their judging panel and instead of fixing the stage or making some other adjustment to something that doesn't need it, works on things that do. Maks has made it seem like he wasn't returning before but has, so hopefully he does (and his brother Val). I'll look forward to following Hope in her career and hope she does bring home the gold in the Olympics. That's a lot more meaningful than a tacky trophy, and at least she has a career going for her.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    TIA__MA likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that Maks originally pushed for Hope as a partner because he'd had great experiences with other athletes in Laila Ali and Misty Mae Treanor. He probably figured that Hope was this year's Misty, and wanted a chance to finish what he couldn't with her. As for Hope - I think she went into the show thinking that it was less of a commitment than it really is. I think she probalby figured you spent a couple of hours learning a dance, performed Monday, stood around Tuesday, and that was it. Remember at the start of the season when she and Maks were travelling around quite a bit? Len even took her to task for it saying she wasn't devoting enough time to practice. So she probably had to overcome the frustration of not understanding what she had committed to, which brought with it Mak's frustration that she wasn't another edition of Misty or Laila. By the time they both had their reality check, the other contestants had passed her by in terms of learning technique and performance, and it was too late for her.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Dancing's Maks: We Did All That We Could - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

His last blog for the season. He doesn't know if he and Hope will be at the finale Wonder who's decision that really was Also sounds like Maks would come back next season if he wanted to, but says if he doesn't, it's not his decision unless he says he's taking a break off. I'll be every kind of ticked off that can be if he isn't just because he (rightfully) called the judges out on their BS, but they keep their golden favorites and Sgt. Lift Police. I have a feeling CA won't know what hit her if Maks isn't back next season and it was the producers decision. She'll get blamed, and I'll have to think she had something to do with it. She calls people out for bashing and bullying, but what does she and the judges do with some of their comments?

Dancing's Maks: We Did All That We Could
    Nov 18, 2011 03:44 PM ET
    by Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    Be the first to comment!..
    Maksim ChmerkovskiyHi everyone!

Hope you had a great week! Thank you so much for your support and votes this season.

We came up short, but it is what it is. Life goes on. I've been getting lots of questions about why we didn't do Jimmy Kimmel and GMA, and it's not a question for us. People are in charge of that stuff.

One thing I want to emphasize in all of this is that I don't want our fans to feel betrayed, like we're sore losers and we hung our heads down and walked away because we got eliminated. That couldn't be further from the truth. We were very cool and relaxed. We knew we did all that we could.

I'm just really, really proud of what Hope accomplished. I really liked our dances on Monday. There's nothing for us to be ashamed of. It was a long season. At the end of the day, it's one of those things that will go down in history as something. What exactly it is will be up to everyone to decide for themselves. We've gotten positive and negative responses for speaking out, but again, I just want everybody to know that we're definitely not in any way, shape or form sore losers. I tried to do the right thing and stay quiet for a change, and I was called out for smiling! I have no idea what that was about.

Hope didn't mean any malice with her comments Monday. She's a top-level competitor and was understandably frustrated. We didn't speak about it too much. We just allowed ourselves to enjoy Monday to the fullest extent to be relaxed on Tuesday and not give it too much thought. If we were to be called safe, we would've continued working hard and put together four performances.

I know for a fact our fans did all they could. I know that. People stayed up and voted for us the whole night. I'm grateful beyond belief for all that. We definitely felt it. It was exciting to know that so many people supported us in our journey. It was a very, very warm feeling. We didn't get called safe and it was our turn to leave the ballroom. I was trying to make sure Hope left it with no bitterness and no regret, and she didn't.

I think we have a great final three. I've become really close friends with Rob. I think he's peaking at the perfect time. He's a great guy, very easygoing. There's no drama. He's a cool kid. I wish him all the best. I also really, really like Ricki as a person. She and Val are even closer than she and I are. We've been to her house multiple times. I think anybody would be a fool not to root for J.R. given who he represents and how great he is. Everything about him screams Dancing winner. I'm kind of torn. This is the one of those times that I kind of don't envy, I guess, the fans that have to choose who to root for. It's a tough decision. I've been fortunate to have had that much support that I was in the semis for four seasons straight. I consider myself lucky to have such great fans. I just hope I've made them proud.

What's next for me? I have no immediate plans at the moment. I'm not even sure if we're going to be at the finale! Hope had to leave and take care of some personal things she had been putting on hold. I have no idea what's going on. Wednesday was my first day of calmness and normality. I didn't have to set my alarm for the first time in three months and I jumped out of bed at 8:30 going thinking I had something to do, but I didn't! No rehearsals, no interviews, nothing! Sometimes it's hard to let go after a season, but I'm looking forward to some time off.

I don't think I'm planning anything. I think for once I'll let others do the planning. I just want to enjoy my time off. There's been controversy this season with what I say. I feel like I get in trouble because I try to explain myself in detail and it turns out people don't want explanations. Our job as entertainers is to dance and smile and be happy. You open up yourself entirely to the world to be judged. One thing that I feel like I want to do is if I do open myself like this and allow people to judge me is to make sure my conscience is clear as far as saying my piece and making sure I was clear with my message. If after that some people disagree with my message, I have no hard feelings. I want to make sure looking back at this years from now, I was clear, expressive, smiling because I want to be and not smiling because I have to be. We're given a platform to express ourselves, but we're not allowed to express ourselves. What is that about that? It is a business and like any business you have to do certain things to work and I've done it. But I've been myself. Some people send me articles or some people tweet me nasty stuff. It does hurt sometimes, but it is what it is. There's something about being politically correct that I have a problem with. For a while, I couldn't pinpoint why I disagreed with it, but I realized people don't like politicians because we feel like they sometimes represent an idea and not necessarily us and so why would I try to be politically correct? Why would I not try to be me? I just want to make sure whatever I do I do wholeheartedly and I have my best intentions in mind. At the end of the day, looking back, I can sleep well at night knowing that I was honest and true.

As far as next season, I'm not thinking about that at all. I just don't know how far ahead I can plan right now. There were developments before this season that affected my decision. During the season, there were some developments that kept me thinking about what I should do. I'll try to do what's right for my personal future. I'm sorry if that sounds selfish. But I will absolutely take into consideration my fans and what they want. I can say that at this point, I don't plan on taking any seasons off. If I'm not back next season, it wasn't up to me. And if I do change my mind and want to take a break, I'll announce it. That's as much as I can do.

It's been an interesting season and I'm very happy we finished on a high note with positivity between us. I always look forward to having a friendship with my partners after the show, and that's no different with Hope. I can't wait to go to London next summer to support her at the Olympics. I just want to be there in person to see her raise that gold medal. She can do a mean quickstep and Argentine tango, but her and soccer is something else altogether. I can't wait to see her in her element competing at the highest level.

And lastly, of course, I want to give a huge thank you to our fans. Every season, I feel your support more and more. I do this for you. I feel like the army of my fans and supporters may not be gigantic, but it's very strong and is very loyal. I really wouldn't be here without you all.

It's Thanksgiving next week, so I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving with great food, love and lots of time spent with your loved ones. I'm very thankful for my blessings, my life, my family, my friends and of course my fans. I wasn't born in this country, but this country has given so much to me. Never does a second go by that I don't count my blessings. I have a lot to be thankful for and I never take any of it for granted.

So happy Thanksgiving! And one last BIG thank you for all your love and support.

Maks

+ Reply to Thread