+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Chaz Bono & Lacey Schwimmer: Season 13

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Chaz Bono & Lacey Schwimmer: Season 13

I like Chaz. He's a good guy, who hopefully is touching a lot of people with his story and spirit, and hopefully proved his point (whatever it was). I think he's lost weight, and Chaz probably has the means to continue any weight loss regime he wants. He's also brought out a softer, more nurturing side of Lacey that I hope sticks around. I can tolerate this Lacey.

All that being said...we got to see Cher, and she apparently tweeted she may be back since people put Chaz through. I have a hard time believing that Cher being in the audience is what's keeping him here, but really? He should have gone week 2. I admire him for giving this a go, but now it's his time to go. It's worse that he's being overscored and overpraised by the judges. I don't know if saying this was his best dance was much of a compliment. Len was knocking Hope, Carson, and David, and CA cried over Chaz but totally robbed J.R. People see right through it. Carson may not be the best dancer, and he may not be finals material, but at least he's entertaining. Chaz, unfortuantely, doesn't have that going for him. I hope next week is his last week, before it starts getting ugly. However, I'm confident that either him or Nancy (god forbid Rob), will find themselves in the finals. It's usually how it works.

The team dances will be coming up in a couple of weeks, if they're doing them. If Rob, Nancy, and Chaz are all still here, they should put them on a team together. Though I'm thinking Rob will wind up on the winning team and benefit, but it's going to show just how weak those 3 are.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-12-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    I am disappointed in this week's results. A clearly morbidly-obese person who has absolutely NOT been dancing has been passed through, for weeks now. The show was right to bring Richard Simmons on to help Chaz, but remaining in the dancing competition is not doing Chaz any good at all. I congratulate him on having a posse of voters that can be counted on to stack the vote, but I feel sad that we are once again reminded that people can't be counted on to be impartial judges. Favoritism rules on TV as well as in the workplace.

At this point, the competition has pretty-much become a farce. Seriously, when somebody who is THAT BAD of a dancer gets voted through week after week based on the fact that they had a sex change and did not take care of their body AT ALL, then there's no need to tune in. I can go to my local Walmart and see the same scenery.

I understand that Chaz has a good attitude, but if I were in his shoes, I would view the videos and then step aside, feign an injury, or do whatever it took to make sure I didn't rob any other better-qualified people out of their earned time on-screen.
    Wow!
    You said almost everything I have been thinking but didn't have the guts to say.

I'm a stickler for fairness.....and letting people continue to stay that are undeniably far less competent for the goal of the contest is wrong. Plain and simple. And it's not just DWTS where it happens.

I could care less what Chaz or, anybody for that matter, does in their private life. Yes, Chaz made certain things public because it's better to explain the changes in one's life themselves rather than having gossip reporters telling it. But heck, what's the point of having a contest about dancing? Let's just call this (and other shows) either popularity contests or pity contests.
    Chaz can't dance, is terribly overweight which probably hampers dancing ability and really doesn't have any rhythm or natural talent for dancing. Chaz may be upbeat and pleasant but that's not what this is about.
    And that is exactly why I don't watch this show anymore or other shows.
    BTW and karalott like this.

I think just about any show can be considered a popularity contest. Even shows like Survivor and Big Brother typically have a worse player overall winning because the cast liked them better. Just like Bristol had the Tea Party and hardcore conservatives in her corner, Chaz probably had those in LGBT community voting in droves for him. Of course, that's just speculation, because if they are voting based on his backstory, they're a lot less vocal than the Tea Party was with Bristol. The average viewer may relate to Chaz more, and yes, I can believe Cher fans would vote for him just for her. But I think Cher is likely a minor factor in his voting bloc. Sometimes, the absolute best dancers (Nicole, Mya), bored me to tears and were completely forgettable, whereas dancers that were likely the worst (or among the worst-Carson, Ty Murray) I enjoyed seeing advance every week. Of course, they were trying, and Ty showed a little improvement. I was really hoping to see him make the finals. Anyway, I really hope Chaz doesn't last much longer, because he's painful to watch. He and Nancy just aren't any fun. I could stand Carson and David making it to the finals, but there's something else there with them that makes them more rootable as the weeks go on. I doubt either one will get better, and at the moment I feel like what we're seeing from the celebs is probably all we're gonna get. Chaz has the samba this week, and I predict that to be a disaster. It makes me wonder if the producers encourage and force couples to use props, gimmicks, themes, messing about, etc, so that the judges can find leeway to give them a high score if their dancing isn't there. My ideal final 3 right now is Hope, J.R., and Carson, although I'm only betting on seeing J.R. there. I can stand a bad dancer if they're entertaining in the personality department and are at least putting their best effort forward. Chaz is a nice guy, but the judges can only get away with overscoring him for so long.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Anytime you introduce public voting into a show, it is no longer mainly about competition, and the competitor needs to have an "angle" to have public support. I think shows with public voting are more of a waste of time, and not a true gauge of what may be really going on. It's just wrong! It's not as if these people are looking out for any kind of public interest...but, then again, neither are our politicians. They just like being "liked"...which is why, I guess, they are in show business to start with.

Give me a show with NO PUBLIC VOTING!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Give me a show with NO PUBLIC VOTING!!!
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think a show like this with no input from the public would be boring. You could root for an underdog, but if all they had were the judges scores - no excitement, no anticipation - ho hum, but lowest score is booted each week, whether they were the most entertaining or not. And, who would want to perform on a show like that? Only people who already had dancing experience.

A good part of what makes this show fun is getting to know the various personalities and watching them progress from week to week.
    karalott and Shoepie like this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, maybe I wouldn't want strictly judge voting, but I'd like to see the public's opinion play a much, much smaller percentage than it does now. The public has given us Chaz, and Bristol...and I know there are several more but I can't think of who it is right now. Who wants to be stuck with people like Chaz and Bristol? Not me, that's for sure!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Better dancers have left before more popular dancers since the very first episode, so I'm not going to start complaining about it now. At least, unlike Gosselin and Palin, I actually like Chaz, so I don't mind his presence because I know he's not going to win.
    ness, Shoepie and GoingInCircles like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think a show like this with no input from the public would be boring. You could root for an underdog, but if all they had were the judges scores - no excitement, no anticipation - ho hum, but lowest score is booted each week, whether they were the most entertaining or not. And, who would want to perform on a show like that? Only people who already had dancing experience.

A good part of what makes this show fun is getting to know the various personalities and watching them progress from week to week.
    I agree. People should watch the real ballroom competitions if they want to see judges-only scoring. I watch those competitions on PBS and enjoy them, but enjoy DWTS more, because of the personalities.

Several times when it's down to the final two, I've voted for the person I most enjoy watching dance rather than the one who might be more technically proficient.

I still get upset when my favorite gets voted off "too early", but that's the nature of this show. The judging itself is so screwy these days, I'd say the show is 30% technical merit, 20% judges' biases, and 50% popularity contest.
    ness and Shoepie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I agree. People should watch the real ballroom competitions if they want to see judges-only scoring. I watch those competitions on PBS and enjoy them, but enjoy DWTS more, because of the personalities.

Several times when it's down to the final two, I've voted for the person I most enjoy watching dance rather than the one who might be more technically proficient.

I still get upset when my favorite gets voted off "too early", but that's the nature of this show. The judging itself is so screwy these days, I'd say the show is 30% technical merit, 20% judges' biases, and 50% popularity contest.
    Tom himself has said numerous times if people want a real ballroom competition, they shouldn't be watching DWTS. Much like AI and any other talent show out there, it's a popularity contest and TV show before it's anything else, especially talent. It's as much a popularity contest with the judges/producers as it is with the viewers. I don't think the judges, with the possible exception of Len, base their scores on dancing, because if they did, the couples would be getting anywhere near 8s, 9s, and 10s (except maybe J.R., who deserves it). I think giving more power to the judges is a bad idea. Their the ones giving Chaz and Rob 8s, and docking J.R. for a non-existant lift and because one of them can't get the humor (then completely backtracks the next day). I can get into bad dancers into Carson and David because of their attitude, commitment, and personality. I'd rather see the two of them in the finals over Ricki, Nancy, Chaz, and Rob. I like Hope mostly because of Maks, but I've also grown to like her as I've learned more about her. If a celeb has a pro I don't like, it's hard for me to want them to stick around. I really hope they don't throw in a judges save in future seasons, to give the 3 stooges more power. As for Chaz, I can't say he's bringing ratings, but maybe TPTB are hoping if he keeps on lasting, it'll bring the same type of controversy Bristol did and give them a boost in the end. I really wouldn't be surprised if he makes the final 3. I don't think Hope or Nancy have the fanbase to do it, and I'd be surprised if Carson makes it that far (from the way the judges have been acting I don't think he's one of the chosen ones to make it that far). There's always someone in the finals who really shouldn't be there, so unless Nancy's fanbase is huge, I think it'll be Rob or Chaz who are the hurricane force who bump out better dancers. But it's hard to care what the judges say about better dancers going home when they're the ones totally fawning over the horrible hoofers the night before. As long as I like the pros and/or celebs and they entertain me, I'm happy It is nice if they can dance, because I don't know that I'd want someone as horrible as Bristol again making it to the end.
    Shoepie and GoingInCircles like this.

Chaz has a good sense of humor. He was being interviewed after the Monday show, I think, by the woman from Access Hollywood. (Terri someone, I think.) She was talking about how upset she was because he was having a hard time and she couldn't be happy if he wasn't happy or something like that, and with a twinkle in his eye, he said: "Well that's kind of co-dependent, don't you think?" It was pretty funny!

I really like him, AND I'm glad that he went this week so that he didn't have to deal with the hostility that would have come with staying way beyond his ability level. I enjoyed seeing him on the show and getting a glimpse into his personality.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast