+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    As far as I know, yes, they're doing online voting. And to answer your question earlier about looking forward to the Chmerkovskiy bros-absolutely! I'm so excited to see Val joining. Ever since he did the dance off with Maks back in season 4, I've been hoping to see him join as a pro. I thought the day would never get here. And since I worry that Maks's time on the show might be limited (seems like he has a lot of different opporunities coming up all the time for his business), at least I could have Val. Or maybe that'll keep Maks around a few seasons more. It sounded like he wasn't returning this season. I hope both partners are good matches for them. I love the bond they have.

Thank you!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

This bit gave me a laugh. Anyone questioning the star power of the current cast, especially Chaz, should realize they look like Emmy winners compared to this guy:

Say What

Somehow I don't think TPTB will ever be that desperate. I see "stars" (however loosely you want to use that term), campaigning to get on all the time, even going as far as setting up Facebook and twitter accounts to rally support. I've seen some pro dancers go to that extent as well.

Well to the formerly pregnant (wo)man I ask, are you the former daughter (now son) of an icon named Cher? Yeah...didn't think so. NEEEEXXXXT...!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    On GMA this morning they said there is controversy like crazy over Chaz being on the show with some groups being formed to urge boycots. I'll admit to being pretty conservative in my views, but when it comes to this, who the heck cares? I can't muster up anger over such a personal difficult situation.
    I wonder if these are the same groups who power voted for Bristol and bragged about bringing the show down? I'm not surprised with the controversy over Chaz, although it's what I worried would happen. I don't want this season to be a repeat of Bristol with people shooting their TVs (even though I think you've got deeper problems if you're shooting your TV over a cheesy dance show), and death threats getting mailed. It's also why I hope the show lets the cards fall where they may for the stunt casting this season (I feel this also applies to Nancy), and doesn't try to milk it or keep those people around if it's their time to go. But I doubt there will be any serious boycott. If these people are afraid of their kids watching, here's a suggestion-don't watch. Or don't tell them and see if it's that obvious to them that Chaz used to be Chasity. I'm also somewhat conservative in my beliefs, but that's one where I go to the other side. If Chaz believed he was supposed to be a Chaz his whole life, more power to him. I think he'll at least inspire individuals who are in the same boat he is.

I wonder if these are the same groups who power voted for Bristol and bragged about bringing the show down? I'm not surprised with the controversy over Chaz, although it's what I worried would happen. I don't want this season to be a repeat of Bristol with people shooting their TVs (even though I think you've got deeper problems if you're shooting your TV over a cheesy dance show), and death threats getting mailed. It's also why I hope the show lets the cards fall where they may for the stunt casting this season (I feel this also applies to Nancy), and doesn't try to milk it or keep those people around if it's their time to go. But I doubt there will be any serious boycott. If these people are afraid of their kids watching, here's a suggestion-don't watch. Or don't tell them and see if it's that obvious to them that Chaz used to be Chasity. I'm also somewhat conservative in my beliefs, but that's one where I go to the other side. If Chaz believed he was supposed to be a Chaz his whole life, more power to him. I think he'll at least inspire individuals who are in the same boat he is.

I dont care who votes for who.If Bristol was given a bad rap because of who her mum was, the same could be true for Chaz. This is what I dont get though. Chaz is in his 40's. Kids dont even know who he is. If they ask, say he is Cher's son, its that easy.There would be no discussion about gender change etc, and kids are more adaptable, and saying he's the son of..is so easy( perhaps too easy) and perhaps ABC knew this, and it is after all, about ratings.I wish him luck , I wish them all luck, it isnt easy to step outside the box, let alone step outside the box and dance!

I expect Chaz to go the same way as Bristol.

Both were originally famous for their parents, but both represent Causes that will drive the voting. Chaz will probably be introduced, if they follow the bio info on the ABC site, as an Advocate, just as Bristol was introduced as an Advocate. Many people will feel compelled to vote for or against that Cause.

The good news is that this isn't an election year, and it is easier to vote to keep someone ON than it is to vote them OFF, so the overall effect should be smaller with Chaz.

I expect him to stay 2 to 4 weeks beyond his dancing ability, but with Cher in the news today raising a fuss maybe longer.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

The only cause I see Chaz representing is the universal cause of being true to oneself. And, for the life of me, I will never understand why individual differences aren’t embraced in this nation and there is seemingly such an overwhelming fear of diversity. I get on my own nerves sometimes, so I would never want to be surrounded with people just like me. And the greatest life challenge we all have is to truly be our authentic selves and everyone knows that at some level, so I don’t get how - at that same level - anyone would wish to place obstacles in other people’s paths to becoming who they are and, thus, were truly meant to be.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    The only cause I see Chaz representing is the universal cause of being true to oneself. And, for the life of me, I will never understand why individual differences aren’t embraced in this nation and there is seemingly such an overwhelming fear of diversity. I get on my own nerves sometimes, so I would never want to be surrounded with people just like me. And the greatest life challenge we all have is to truly be our authentic selves and everyone knows that at some level, so I don’t get how - at that same level - anyone would wish to place obstacles in other people’s paths to becoming who they are and, thus, were truly meant to be.
    I grew up with a family member that thought they were gay.We didnt have all the right names for gay back then( or the resources) .Looking back, 'he' always wanted to be a' she', and sadly lived all of his life as someone else. I suspect he, like Chaz went to bed many nights and prayed that he would wake up in another body.I cannot( even having this family member) comprehend what that must be like. If anything could have helped him, I would have been his number one supporter. I like your post Chris, and I hope Chaz gives strength and hope to those that are not happy with their lot in life.
    chrisg likes this.

What drives me nuts about "boycotts" is that they don't work. Heck, if anything they make others want to watch it just to see what the fuss is about. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    To be fair, it may not be a question of the judges giving her a break or not this season. Chaz isn't in the best shape, and he may not be able to do some of the choreography others can because of that. Unfortunately, he may also lose some viewer votes just because he's transgendered, though he may gain some for the same reason.

But realistically, unless he really surprises me in terms of his stamina and gracefulness--and some heavier men really can be graceful dancers--I wouldn't expect him to win, regardless of his partner, unless he came in with a really strong voting block among viewers (or established one along the way).
    Another problem I thought of after I read your post is that even though he has male acoutrements, does he have the upper body strength to lift Lacey (not a light weight herself)? They probably give him male hormones and steroids to bolster his masculinity, but I would think he would have to prepare with a lot of strength training and he looks pretty mushy to me.

The have about 6 weeks to work before the show premieres, so I think Chaz has plenty of time to work on building upper body strength. I'd be surprised if he was on steroids, but the testosterone will help him to build muscle faster. My concern is more with his stamina. When Chastity was on Celebrity Fit Club, she didn't do so well because she had no stamina and she was smaller than Chaz is now.

Sometimes, Lacey drives me crazy, but I think she's the right partner for Chaz. I think the nastiness and small-mindedness will only fuel their determination and make them work harder.

I cannot imagine what Chaz has gone through leading up to make the decision to become a man. I think it's incredibly brave. Many people just live their lives knowing they were born the wrong gender, but are too afraid to do anything about it. It must be exponentially harder to go through the transition as a public figure.

Like someone mentioned, I wonder if the reaction would be different if Alexis Arquette was on the show instead of Chaz.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread