+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It amazes me what people get their panties in a wad over. There are so many more important issues in this country.
    I agree.

And there's this awesome new device called an "off button" that one can use if they don't want to watch.

I figure, hey you don't want to watch, cool. Just don't shove your opinion down my throat while you're at it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I agree that it's as easy as not tuning in or FF through couples you don't like. Since I often have to record Monday's show, I typically FF through Brooke, the 3 stooges, and any couple I don't like. It makes it more enjoyable to watch I've seen it said before, and it bears repeating, that I wish people who are so concerned about Chaz Bono being on a cheesy dance show where the prize is cash, a tacky trophy, and a possible 15 minute career boost, would put their efforts into something that actually needs the help and that they can make a difference. Chaz is going on DWTS. The show won't look the other way when it comes to casting gay and lesbian personalities in the future. Louis will be back. I'm sure a same sex pairing will eventually happen (and we'll be right back here with this same argument when that does happen). There's diseases all over the world, human trafficking, government corruption, kids who are undereducated, homeless, who go to bed hungry...why not divert all the attention to those causes. In reading an article today, it mentioned how Carson is only the second openly gay contestant that the show has ever had. I was surprised, but realized since I don't pay attention to labels, it's probably why I don't keep track how many minorities have done the show, or who's been gay and who hasn't. And I don't see why people assume Carson would be paired with a man, just like I don't understand why they think Lance Bass would have been. The Chaz controversy is mirroring the Bristol situation, but I hope Chaz is a better dance, because he's probably going to be around awhile. I like Chaz, and I have often rooted for some of the mediocre dancers. I just want Mark and Rob gone first. I liked last season how the worst dancers with no hope were the first two to go. But I enjoyed someone like Sugar Ray over Chelsea. I'm just over this controversial casting and the baggage that comes with it. I obviously don't blame Chaz, as he has a right to live his life how he wants to and take any opporunity that comes his way. I hate the people who act as though it'd the end of the world, those that would shove it down our throats, and the producers for provoking. Although something I hadn't thought of, I wonder if we'll see Chaz dance to any Sonny & Cher numbers They've used a few of their songs on here before. If Lacey dyed her hair back to black, it could work (minus that I think she's much shorter than Cher).

On another note, I saw that our British version has announced their 2011 line up for their upcoming series. I wonder if casting ex wives/girlfriends of celebrities is the new norm. We have Elisabetta, the Australian DWTS had someone who was billed as being the wife of someone famous, and the new Strictly has someone that was labeled as being the ex girlfriend of someone else. I feel like Elisabetta wanting to be more known for something besides being George's ex is what the show was made for, D-listers like her. Already showmance rumors are starting between her and Val and Mark and Kristin.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-03-2011 at 12:53 AM.

FORT Fogey

On E! tonight they mentioned that the show had thought about pairing Carson with a man (and they had a photograph of Carson next to one of Maks), but they decided that since same sex pairings are still fairly uncommon in the dance world that they would not do that.

Wasn't Carson a last minute replacement for an injured Ryan O'Neal? If that's the case, why don't they also point out that it would have been difficult to juggle all the pairings at that point, so they just gave Carson the partner originally meant for Ryan?

But really, if Carson's fine with it, and he appears to be from his comments, I don't see what the problem is. Personally, I would have been okay with Carson being paired with a man, so long as they worked well together as dance partners, but I like Anna too, so I'm looking forward to seeing her with Carson. In fact, I'd just as soon see her with Carson as with Ryan, because I think he's likely to be more fun, whether he can dance or not (and heck, if I were Anna, I might be excited that he could use his connections to get her some deals on clothes).

FORT Fogey

They also mentioned that Lance Bass did not like the idea of pairing with a man because ballroom dancing isn't a good arena for that. Its format calls for man and an woman. Some dance pro's are gay.

I will be happy when we have this discussion behind us.
    bee stung lips likes this.

I find it really sad all the hateful comments about Chaz being on DwTS. I agree with all of you, it shouldn't be about the transgender issue, it should be about his dancing.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I like Chaz well enough, as a person, but that's not the issue. To me, the issue is NOT that Chaz is transgendered. I could care less about that. What bothers me is that Chaz is NOT a star! This is 'Dancing With the Stars' -- right???? Chaz is not a star. Period.
    RyMac likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I like Chaz well enough, as a person, but that's not the issue. To me, the issue is NOT that Chaz is transgendered. I could care less about that. What bothers me is that Chaz is NOT a star! This is 'Dancing With the Stars' -- right???? Chaz is not a star. Period.
    Well at least he's the son of a star - which is more than what I can say for Bristol. One could argue that plenty of the previous contestants on this show weren't stars, politicians etc with no star connections. I'm willing to give Chaz a pass because his mother is a star - a real celebrity, if you will. Not a wannabe celebrity like the likes of a Sarah Palin.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I'd argue that Chaz is more of a star than many others who've appeared on this show. Chastity started appearing on her parents' TV show when she was little. For many of us who grew up in the 70's, Chaz is someone we pretty much grew up with. He's more of a star than Bristol Palin or Rob Kardashian.

The truth is, this show is NEVER going to get A-list stars. Julia Roberts is not ever going to be on this show. We get what we get on this show and, really, I like the fact that I'm not as familiar with some of the people they cast. Every season in the comments of pretty much every article about DWTS, people talk about how these stars are not stars, but it's not ever going to change and, no, the stars aren't getting worse. It's always been this way!

There's a nice article on HuffPo about Chaz dealing with the criticism. It mentions the flak the show is getting about Carson too. This tweet of his is so awesome: "2 all freaking out about having the GLBT community represented on DWTS -- it's a ballroom dancing show. It's pretty gay already"
    Chaz Bono: 'Dancing With The Stars' Determination & ABC Support
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'd argue that Chaz is more of a star than many others who've appeared on this show. Chastity started appearing on her parents' TV show when she was little. For many of us who grew up in the 70's, Chaz is someone we pretty much grew up with. He's more of a star than Bristol Palin or Rob Kardashian.

The truth is, this show is NEVER going to get A-list stars. Julia Roberts is not ever going to be on this show. We get what we get on this show and, really, I like the fact that I'm not as familiar with some of the people they cast. Every season in the comments of pretty much every article about DWTS, people talk about how these stars are not stars, but it's not ever going to change and, no, the stars aren't getting worse. It's always been this way!

There's a nice article on HuffPo about Chaz dealing with the criticism. It mentions the flak the show is getting about Carson too. This tweet of his is so awesome: "2 all freaking out about having the GLBT community represented on DWTS -- it's a ballroom dancing show. It's pretty gay already"
    Chaz Bono: 'Dancing With The Stars' Determination & ABC Support
    It annoys me that when people claim the show never gets any "stars," they overlook the athletes. Kristi Yamaguchi, Apollo Anton Ohno, and Evan Lysacek all have Olympic, world, and national titles (I'm not exactly sure of Shawn's titles, because I don't follow gymnastics as much, but she certainly has plenty of them as well). You really can't do any better than they've done in their respective sports, where they certainly are or have been A-listers--and all of them made it to the final two in their seasons.

For that matter, I think Florence Henderson, Kristie Alley, and Cloris Leachman would qualify as having been television stars (and they've done theatre and films as well). They may not have shows currently on the air, but their various shows have been popular not just during their original runs but in syndication as well. I'm not personally an Osmond fan, but you can't say Donny and Marie Osmond haven't sold a ton of records, and while I didn't watch their variety show, a lot of people did.

This season, I'd certainly say that Hope Solo is well-known in her sport. Carson has had two television shows, is a world class amateur equestrian, and is a published author. No, they're not Julia Roberts, but realistically, even if someone like Julia Roberts wanted to do the show, they'd never be able to work around her schedule--or the schedules of anyone who is currently working consistently in film or television. Doing SOI and DWTS nearly exhausted Evan Lysacek, and he was in phenomenal shape. I can't imagine a non-athlete trying it.

I don't like some of the stunt casting they do, but I wouldn't say they've never booked a star, if you consider star to mean not just someone who has celebrity but who has accomplished a lot in his/her individual field. Heck, the Woz was a terrible dancer and Buzz Aldrin did what he could but was hampered by his age, but I don't think anyone can argue that in the worlds of computer science or aeronautics that they wouldn't be considered stars or A-listers.

But then, I never cared so much about whether someone was a "star" or not, provided he/she could dance. I loved Gilles Marini, and I'd never heard of him before I saw him on DWTS.
    JavaJo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Well at least he's the son of a star - which is more than what I can say for Bristol. One could argue that plenty of the previous contestants on this show weren't stars, politicians etc with no star connections. I'm willing to give Chaz a pass because his mother is a star - a real celebrity, if you will. Not a wannabe celebrity like the likes of a Sarah Palin.
    \

Hmm on the sonny and Cher show , Chastity had no say, she was carted onto the stage to say "goodnight everybody"...I really dont think I would ever call him a star. Its not a put down, but he's an advocate the same as Bristol was.I dont really care who her mum was or is, as I dont really care about Chaz's mum is. Don't forget, Cher had a really bad time with all this..so I guess I see both sides, even if I only agree with one( Chaz) I certainly wouldn't hate Bristol because her mom is Sarah Palin, for me, hating someone for who their parent are , is as intolerable as those that refuse to watch the show b/c of Chaz..Obviously they are not DWTS fans. The media imnsho is blowing all this up.Ratings rating ratings

+ Reply to Thread