+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Official Cast Reveal (Fall-Season 13)*

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    On GMA this morning they said there is controversy like crazy over Chaz being on the show with some groups being formed to urge boycots. I'll admit to being pretty conservative in my views, but when it comes to this, who the heck cares? I can't muster up anger over such a personal difficult situation.
    One Million Moms is boycotting the sponsors and DWTS because of Chaz. I received an e-mail from them, urging me to write a letter to the sponsors. I don't think so! There are bigger fish to fry out there!

It amazes me what people get their panties in a wad over. There are so many more important issues in this country.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Boycotts don't work. All they do is rally more people to watch the show to see what all the fuss is about. I have an idea, if these people don't like the idea of Chaz, don't watch the show. It isn't a big deal.

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.
    Shoepie likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Boycotts are stupid. The End.
    karalott and Shoepie like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I cannot imagine what Chaz has gone through leading up to make the decision to become a man. I think it's incredibly brave. Many people just live their lives knowing they were born the wrong gender, but are too afraid to do anything about it. It must be exponentially harder to go through the transition as a public figure.

Like someone mentioned, I wonder if the reaction would be different if Alexis Arquette was on the show instead of Chaz.
    Excellent point, Critical! I'd completely forgotten about Alexis. I wonder whether the reaction would be different?

My point of view is that nature doesn't always get things right. To me, having a gender change is a surgical "correction", like correcting a cleft palate or a club foot or a hereditary birth defect. It's not my (or anyone else's) business to criticize.
    JunkieGirl likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Everyone makes mistakes and mother nature isn’t exempt from them. I think Chaz is incredibly brave as well. The easier path would have been to not have the gender reassignment procedures and I can’t see how that would truly benefit anyone. I also don’t see how it is anyone’s decision other than that individual’s to determine. And our society supposedly values self-determination but the minute people don’t fit into pre-approved boxes of conformity, it seems like society flips its collective lid. Well, that’s the absolute antithesis of respecting individual rights and self-determination.

I definitely understand the families of transgendered individuals having an incredibly difficult transition period but that must only be compounded by the societal pressure. And I don’t see how any group like the Million Moms could possibly feel that they have the conceivable authority to tell other individuals - whom they don’t even know - who they are. It is unfathomable to me that any group or any other entity has the nerve, quite honestly, to consider themselves in any position to make that very personal decision for others, and thereby revoking that decision from the individuals themselves.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

ABC has received hundreds of letters and thousands of emails about the choice for "Dancing With the Stars"{ And not one of them was about Nancy Grace) Guess who America dislikes without even meeting him/her......

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I sometimes am skeptical if all this hoopla is created or exaggerated by TPTB. True, I'm sure there is controversy, and people claiming they won't watch (they will), or boycotts (they won't). If the ratings take a hit, I don't believe it will be because of Chaz, even if those who have nothing better to do than slam him claim victory. I think it'll be a bigger reason why the ratings suffer. All this controversy is making ABC happy, since it's buzz going into the premiere, but what's the big deal? Either Chaz can dance or he can't. Being transgendered will have nothing to do with that. I'm not looking at Chaz any differently than I do any other contestant. I don't plan on voting for him, as I have other favorites I want to see stick around, but if he impressed me enough, or I felt he unfairly got thrown under the bus, of course I'd send votes his way. I'm with those who say all this out spoken criticism and call for boycotts is just doing the opposite of what they want. It usually does. People may tune in for the curiousity factor, but I guarantee by week 2 that'll be gone. We'll see he can dance, or can't. Why not call for boycotts when they've had Playboy Playmates on the show, or alleged teen advocates, or celebs who've been to rehab and prison? Doesn't that send just as bad of a message to these people's offspring as being transgendered. This will help Chaz in the mean time. Whether he dances horribly or not, I think he's safe for a few weeks. I'll still stick with Rob, Kristin, or Elizabetta as being one of the first to go.
    KatesMom and Fanny Mare like this.

I agree with you. ABC knew there would be controversy, I dont care what they say, and that all means ratings. ! I hope Rob goes first, I don't know why, I just think he's done nothing much in his life and is living off his name.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I sometimes am skeptical if all this hoopla is created or exaggerated by TPTB. True, I'm sure there is controversy, and people claiming they won't watch (they will), or boycotts (they won't). If the ratings take a hit, I don't believe it will be because of Chaz, even if those who have nothing better to do than slam him claim victory. I think it'll be a bigger reason why the ratings suffer. All this controversy is making ABC happy, since it's buzz going into the premiere, but what's the big deal? Either Chaz can dance or he can't. Being transgendered will have nothing to do with that. I'm not looking at Chaz any differently than I do any other contestant. I don't plan on voting for him, as I have other favorites I want to see stick around, but if he impressed me enough, or I felt he unfairly got thrown under the bus, of course I'd send votes his way. I'm with those who say all this out spoken criticism and call for boycotts is just doing the opposite of what they want. It usually does. People may tune in for the curiousity factor, but I guarantee by week 2 that'll be gone. We'll see he can dance, or can't. Why not call for boycotts when they've had Playboy Playmates on the show, or alleged teen advocates, or celebs who've been to rehab and prison? Doesn't that send just as bad of a message to these people's offspring as being transgendered. This will help Chaz in the mean time. Whether he dances horribly or not, I think he's safe for a few weeks. I'll still stick with Rob, Kristin, or Elizabetta as being one of the first to go.
    Don't forget disgraced politicians--remember Tom DeLay?

I just hope people vote (or don't vote) for Chaz based on whether or not they like his dancing, as opposed to voting based on political leanings or because of who is mom is. We don't need a Bristol Palin redux. If he can dance or can balance deficiencies in his dancing with an entertainment factor, I'm fine with him sticking around. Otherwise, he should go when it's his time--just like everyone else. I really don't look at his transgendered status as having anything to do with whether I'd vote for him. Like everybody else, I have pre-show favorites, but I've had them before and then been disappointed with how they actually performed and switched allegiances.

By the way, how bizarre is it that the same concerns might be expressed about Chaz and Bristol, who otherwise would appear to have very little in common?
    RyMac likes this.

+ Reply to Thread