+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 190
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

  1. #161
    FORT Fan TonyDovolaniFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    371

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Being a horselover, I was excited to hear Carson is an equestrian. Didn't know who he was before, but I enjoyed the interaction he and Anna had together on GMA. Looks like he'll be a fun contest.

    I agree, Chaz and Carson aren't the first controversial contestants. Wish people would at least give them a chance. I find all this bashing really sad, especially when bullying/nonacceptance is such an issue. What are they (the ones making these comments) teaching their kids?

  2. #162
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    So from rehearsal pics that were posted (and bits from interviews), it looks like so far, the dance assignments for week 1 are: (cha cha) Elisabetta, Nancy, Kristin, and Ron; (VW), Ricki, and Rob. If those 3 girls do in fact have the cha cha (and Kristin confirmed it in interviews), then Hope and Chyna would have the VW as well. Ricki and, as much as I hate to say it, Kristin look pretty good in their rehearsal photos. Usually that can be a sign if someones going to tank or not by how well their lines and feet look. I feel like Rob is a lost cause, but will probably last about as long as The Situation. I'd peg him as an early boot, but somehow I don't see it coming true. We might be in for a surprising first elimination, as I don't see another stunt casting like Chaz, Nancy, or Kristin being eliminated first (and I'm only singling them out because they're coming in with the most to prove...and probably what TPTB are riding on for drama for a few weeks). I still think there's a chance Rob could go first. Doesn't seem like he has much favorable support online. But I wouldn't be surprised if he survives, if for anything else because of Cheryl. Ron actually looked pretty good in his rehearsal photos. He might be light on his feet like other athletes who've come before him.

    ETA: Tilden, I had no idea Margaret was bi sexual. I knew she was a big campaigner for LGTB rights. I remember her samba she did, how the story seemed to get lost in the shuffle, and even Louis thought it fell flat. Did this group protest when Lance did the show-a guy who had to stay in the closet so he didn't commit career suicide while he was in a boy band? Nice message that sends. I wish people would get with the times. Every generation will continue to get more and more accepting. I doubt there will ever be a thing as universal acceptance, because people will continue to pass the message of intolerance along to their kids, but hopefully it'll keep getting better. This is only fueling the show's ratings, and people to vote for Chaz. I'm all set to vote for Carson, gay or not, because I love the guy, and he's with one of my favorite pros. I still say it's all hypocritical when there've been people on here with what some would consider sleazy backgrounds and choices that would set a worse example to kids. Oh well, let them preach to someone who cares. I can't wait for the 19th-David, Carson, Ricki, Chyna, and my 2 Chmerkovskiy's

  3. #163
    Lux et Veritas chrisg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just read an article about that million moms group. Apparently they're protesting not just Chaz's appearance on DWTS but Carson's as well. Um, aren't they aware that Louis, who, while not on the show this year, has been on for many seasons, is gay? He certainly hasn't hidden that fact. Or what about Lance Bass? And Margaret Cho is a bisexual. Have they never noticed that Bruno is a judge? Has all of that escaped their attention? Don't misunderstand--I think they're making a ridiculously huge deal out of Chaz being on a show "when children can watch." But for them to object to Carson seems even stupider, unless they've objected to Louis, Lance, Margaret, and Bruno as well. If they have, then they've already not been watching the show for some time (or even from the beginning, if they objected to Bruno). If they haven't, what, in particular, makes Carson any more objectionable than every other gay/bisexual person who's ever participated?

    I also think their fervor over the show being on "when children can watch" is so over the top. If you don't want your kids watching the show, then don't let them watch. Not everything on every station from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. is going to be perfect viewing for kids for any number of reasons. Heck, I'm surprised they'd have ever let their kids watch DWTS in the first place, considering some of the costumes that get worn. Kids might or might not even know that Chaz was once Chastity, but they sure couldn't miss the costumes (or lack thereof) on some of the dancers.

    I also find it particularly objectionable that they're commanding that "Christians" not watch. A number of Christian denominations now allow for openly gay people to enter the ministry, including those in committed relationships (that's the ELCA stand, for instance). I imagine if the largest Lutheran denomination allows gays in their pulpits, they'd allow them on their dance floors. Is this group now deciding who are actually to be considered Christians and who aren't? Who put them in charge of that?
    I’m very sad to have seen it coming. I am stunned when every tidal wave of discrimination hits my happy little rainbow world – where people actually embrace diversity - but then I gain my bearings and know exactly how it is going to go. It doesn’t make it any easier knowing what to expect, though, since it all just makes me feel physically ill and I really just want to break down and cry right now.

    And thanks for posting that info about Carson’s equestrian background, Tilden. He is also a children’s book author and I highly recommend Carson’s book, You’re Different and That’s Super to the Million Moms:

    Amazon.com: You're Different and That's Super (9781416900702): Carson Kressley, Jared Lee: Books
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

  4. #164
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    So from rehearsal pics that were posted (and bits from interviews), it looks like so far, the dance assignments for week 1 are: (cha cha) Elisabetta, Nancy, Kristin, and Ron; (VW), Ricki, and Rob. If those 3 girls do in fact have the cha cha (and Kristin confirmed it in interviews), then Hope and Chyna would have the VW as well. Ricki and, as much as I hate to say it, Kristin look pretty good in their rehearsal photos. Usually that can be a sign if someones going to tank or not by how well their lines and feet look. I feel like Rob is a lost cause, but will probably last about as long as The Situation. I'd peg him as an early boot, but somehow I don't see it coming true. We might be in for a surprising first elimination, as I don't see another stunt casting like Chaz, Nancy, or Kristin being eliminated first (and I'm only singling them out because they're coming in with the most to prove...and probably what TPTB are riding on for drama for a few weeks). I still think there's a chance Rob could go first. Doesn't seem like he has much favorable support online. But I wouldn't be surprised if he survives, if for anything else because of Cheryl. Ron actually looked pretty good in his rehearsal photos. He might be light on his feet like other athletes who've come before him.

    ETA: Tilden, I had no idea Margaret was bi sexual. I knew she was a big campaigner for LGTB rights. I remember her samba she did, how the story seemed to get lost in the shuffle, and even Louis thought it fell flat. Did this group protest when Lance did the show-a guy who had to stay in the closet so he didn't commit career suicide while he was in a boy band? Nice message that sends. I wish people would get with the times. Every generation will continue to get more and more accepting. I doubt there will ever be a thing as universal acceptance, because people will continue to pass the message of intolerance along to their kids, but hopefully it'll keep getting better. This is only fueling the show's ratings, and people to vote for Chaz. I'm all set to vote for Carson, gay or not, because I love the guy, and he's with one of my favorite pros. I still say it's all hypocritical when there've been people on here with what some would consider sleazy backgrounds and choices that would set a worse example to kids. Oh well, let them preach to someone who cares. I can't wait for the 19th-David, Carson, Ricki, Chyna, and my 2 Chmerkovskiy's

    I saw a clip of Margaret somewhere--E! maybe?--being asked about the whole Chaz controversy. Either in the clip or in the intro to it, she was identified as bisexual. I didn't know that before either, and I suppose it could be wrong information (I think the announcer/interviewer said it as opposed to Margaret), but I guess I assumed that if it was, she would contradict it.

  5. #165
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I’m very sad to have seen it coming. I am stunned when every tidal wave of discrimination hits my happy little rainbow world – where people actually embrace diversity - but then I gain my bearings and know exactly how it is going to go. It doesn’t make it any easier knowing what to expect, though, since it all just makes me feel physically ill and I really just want to break down and cry right now.

    And thanks for posting that info about Carson’s equestrian background, Tilden. He is also a children’s book author and I highly recommend Carson’s book, You’re Different and That’s Super to the Million Moms:

    Amazon.com: You're Different and That's Super (9781416900702): Carson Kressley, Jared Lee: Books
    Oh, man. I didn't mean to make anybody cry....

  6. #166
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDovolaniFan View Post
    Being a horselover, I was excited to hear Carson is an equestrian. Didn't know who he was before, but I enjoyed the interaction he and Anna had together on GMA. Looks like he'll be a fun contest.

    I agree, Chaz and Carson aren't the first controversial contestants. Wish people would at least give them a chance. I find all this bashing really sad, especially when bullying/nonacceptance is such an issue. What are they (the ones making these comments) teaching their kids?
    There's a nice interview with him after his 2009 win where he's standing with his horse and talking about his background as an equestrian (his grandparents had hackney ponies and saddlebreds). The horse keeps put its head over his shoulder and nudging him for attention. It's really quite cute.
    There are also clips of him riding, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

    I'd like to assume that as an equestrian, he would at least have strong legs, which I'd think would be an asset on the dance floor, but I have no idea if he's got any actual ballroom skills. I checked his twitter, and he thought the first day of rehearsal was a lot of fun--don't people usually complain about how hard it is?

  7. #167
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    There's an article on the United States Equestrian Federation from June of this year about Carson, his background with hackney ponies and Saddlebreds, and his involvement with keeping the show in Devon PA going. He's been showing there since 1986, because he's from the area.

    I really had no idea Carson was so into horses. It makes me like him better--or perhaps I should say even better, because it's not like I disliked him before I knew he was an equestrian.

    By the way, it seems to make no never mind to the USEF or the people who run the Devon show that he's gay. If you google Carson Kressley and horses, you'll also see a photograph of him on a gorgeous white horse. He's all in blue and he's carrying an enormous American flag, I presume to open some horse show. Take that, million moms.

    He seems to be tweeting everyone in the cast at this point, and Anna has tweeted that working with him is a lot of fun, so regardless of what other people are thinking/saying, the two of them seem to be having a good time.


    And I'll shut up now and give someone else a chance to post....

  8. #168
    FORT Fan Daisoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    God, I hope Derek doesn't get another "ringer" I have a feeling he would get George's Clooney's ex or the soccer star. I don't want to see him in the finals. Oh, and I don't want to see CA, Bruno and Brooke fawning all over again. Ew.

    Yes, I'm not a fan of Derek Hough. I was hoping they would give him Nancy Grace, but big surprise (not!) they give her a newbie.

    Seriously, if he's crowned as a champ one more time I will scream!!

    I hope they gave Tony a good partner (if he's back )

    I want a new champion this year!!!

  9. #169
    Lux et Veritas chrisg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Oh, man. I didn't mean to make anybody cry....
    Don't feel bad, Tilden. It's not your fault. I just don't understand how these groups can be so cruel toward others when it comes to something they have no control over.
    SmittenKitten likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

  10. #170
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 13 (Fall) News & Speculation*

    Just a quick update on a previous post. I was flipping through channels this morning and happened to catch the very interview with Margaret Cho that I'd mentioned earlier. It was on E! News Weekend, and it was definitely the interviewer/announcer who referred to Margaret having been bullied for being a bisexual as a teenager. Though, technically, shouldn't that be bullied as a teenager for being a bisexual? Unless she was only a bisexual as a teenager and has since chosen a definite team. I'm not being snarky; I do know someone who considered himself a bisexual in college and after college came to the conclusion that he preferred men exclusively and now identifies himself as gay as opposed to bisexual.

    Anyway, that's where I saw the interview. All Margaret really said herself was that it was good that she had a chance in one of her dances to make a statement about being who you are etc. Personally, I sometimes find the dances where they're supposed to be sending a message don't work all that well, because it's tough to make a big statement in a couple of minutes of dance when you're not a professional and have to worry about just getting the steps right too. I hope Chaz just dances and doesn't worry about using the show as a platform, because that would be draining for everyone involved, and because I think the fastest way to change people's minds isn't necessarily by sending a message but just by behaving the same way anyone else would, warts and all. It's harder to think of someone as "different" when you see him/her acting pretty much the way everyone does.

    Incidentally, Carson's latest tweet apologizes to Anna for being so slow and promises that he will always do his best (they have the cha-cha this week) while Anna's last one mentions how good their rehearsal was. Carson's also joking about being part of a "bromance" with Maks, who tweeted that it was nice meeting him--and Carson's being very supportive of Chaz and sending compliments to other dancers as well. Meanwhile Maks is saying that he's impressed with his partner--and adds, "and when do I ever say that?" There's a shot of them together too, and she has legs for days. I think the caption is something like, "Someone's looking like a dancer." Wouldn't it be a nice change of pace if Maks got the closest thing to a ringer in the cast this year?

    Oh, yeah, and according to Lacey, Chaz is working very hard and has already lost five pounds. She's also said he's very sweet and a little shy. I would imagine being a little shy would be normal in his position. If you don't know how people are going to take you, you tend to be a little guarded, and he must go through that whenever people realize who he is (and who he used to be). In fact, he's probably multiplying that problem by making himself even more visible by going on DWTS, since more people will now recognize him--and I'm sure he knows that and realizes that it may give him a bigger platform for his advocacy while simultaneously possibly making greater inroads into his own private life. Before this, he could probably walk down the street without that many people realizing who he was or even noticing him much. That may not be true anymore. It must mean a lot to him to be an advocate for transgendered people to make that sacrifice (well, to me, it would be a sacrifice--I'd never go on a reality show that seriously diminished my own sense of privacy).

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.