+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I think there is even a chance if there was no manipulation by the judges Romeo might have been in the final 3 as well.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I think there is even a chance if there was no manipulation by the judges Romeo might have been in the final 3 as well.
    Romeo seems like a REALLY cool kid. Been through a lot at a young age but seems level headed and thoughtful. I liked him a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    This DWTS seasons outcome was just as predictable as American Idol's finale was tonight. I always felt Hines would win after he performed week 1. I knew Scotty would win AI this season. It all has to do with fan bases and how big they are.

IMO Hines was not the best dancer and Scotty was not the best singer on AI this year, but their fan bases were going to vote for them to win no matter how well they did each week.
    In a way, Hones was the ringer in a round about way this year based on the Steelers and Bulldogs fans. How he danced was inconsequential. From what I am reading his fan base would have given him the win no matter what. Dancing wasn't the the criteria for voting (and yes, I know some people did vote because they felt he was the best dancer) but it seems the rabid Bulldogs/Steelers fans gave him the win because of who he is.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I think it's ludicrous on any reality show when the person with the biggest sob story, back story, weight loss, overcoming some obstacle, having a non popular pro dance with them, etc. is handed the win simply due to such.
    Don't you dare try logic
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Joel McHale commented on Hines win, and said it wasn't surprising, since only athletes or professional dancers win this show. He's almost 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    In a way, Hones was the ringer in a round about way this year based on the Steelers and Bulldogs fans. How he danced was inconsequential. From what I am reading his fan base would have given him the win no matter what. Dancing wasn't the the criteria for voting (and yes, I know some people did vote because they felt he was the best dancer) but it seems the rabid Bulldogs/Steelers fans gave him the win because of who he is.
    I don't think he can be called a ringer in that sense -- ringers are stars with obvious previous dance training, and/or who dance in their current career, like pop stars.

If Hines' win was a foregone conclusion because of an unbeatable built-in fanbase, I guess we need a new word for that kind of winner.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I don't think he can be called a ringer in that sense -- ringers are stars with obvious previous dance training, and/or who dance in their current career, like pop stars.

If Hines' win was a foregone conclusion because of an unbeatable built-in fanbase, I guess we need a new word for that kind of winner.
    Well, if they're a sports figure, we could call them a "slam dunk."

I don't agree with the whole Hines' win being a foregone conclusion thing. A lot of football players/sports figures have been on & didn't even make it to the final 2 simply because their dancing wasn't one of the best. A lot of people with strong voting bases didn't either for the same reason (see Bristol Palin or Marie Osmond.) They improve & do pretty well, but just not enough to win.
    I had never heard of Hines Ward before. I don't follow pro football & don't live anywhere Pittsburgh. I did, however, use all of my finale votes for him for this reason: I felt he improved greatly, had a great attitude along with his partner's, had the best Freestyle, and at the end he was just the best dancer & deserved the win.
    If I had been voting heart only, I would have voted Kirstie/Maks. She obviously worked her butt off (literally), improved dramatically, & I loved her & Maks together. Hines, however, was the best dancer.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I don't agree with the whole Hines' win being a foregone conclusion thing. A lot of football players/sports figures have been on & didn't even make it to the final 2 simply because their dancing wasn't one of the best. A lot of people with strong voting bases didn't either for the same reason (see Bristol Palin or Marie Osmond.) They improve & do pretty well, but just not enough to win.
    I had never heard of Hines Ward before. I don't follow pro football & don't live anywhere Pittsburgh. I did, however, use all of my finale votes for him for this reason: I felt he improved greatly, had a great attitude along with his partner's, had the best Freestyle, and at the end he was just the best dancer & deserved the win.
    If I had been voting heart only, I would have voted Kirstie/Maks. She obviously worked her butt off (literally), improved dramatically, & I loved her & Maks together. Hines, however, was the best dancer.
    Late weighing in, but regarding football players, they will always be able to last a few weeks longer than their dancing merits based on fan votes, but they have to be reasonably good (and perhaps even more importantly, have charisma on the dance floor) to get to the end. And whether they actually win also has something to do with whether there is anybody else that season to provide valid competition, in terms of both ability and fan base. The two NFLers who won, Hines and Emmitt, were definitely the best dancers of all the NFLers, although I think Emmit was quite a bit better than Hines, despite what CA said. And he beat a superb, but unlikeable (at the time) dancer in Mario Lopez. Of the 3 who finished second, all were either extremely likeable, entertaining, or both, but they were never the best dancer or even close. Jerry Rice, whose dancing was a step below Hines', couldn't overcome the both likeable and talented (and charismatic) Drew Lachey, even though his fan base was probably still bigger than Drew's at the end (although the scoring system was also different back then, but I digress). No doubt Warren had Brooke beat in fan votes, but his dancing, while charming, was far inferior to hers technically, and I believe she had a big point advantage in the finals. And Jason Taylor had the unfortunate luck of competing in a season when another star (Yamaguchi) had an even bigger fan base going in and the talent. Chad O., who maybe danced slightly better than Jerry, got about as far as his dancing merited, and Kurt Warner possibly got slightly further than deserved, based on his charm. The rest of the NFLers, to my recollection, were pretty bad, may have survived over slightly better people, but went out well before the semis.

In retrospect, I could have called Hines' win on the first night when he did well (or well enough), because for the male celebs, charm and a decent effort, combined with a killer fan base is usually enough (cough, Donny Osmond). I suspect his fan base (who in addition to being rabid, were probably even more hungry for him to win due to the Super Bowl loss) was comparable in size to Kirstie's all along (perhaps slightly bigger), but his higher scores in the finals, combined with picking up more of Ralph's and Romeo's voters than Kirstie did due to fear of Mark winning (which I did suspect was never going to happen due to the need for the WTA in the first place) put him over the top. I agree that had all those votes gone to Kirstie instead, it might have been enough to overcome a 5 point deficit. Which is too bad, because while Hines is not undeserving, his dancing was really not that far superior to Kirstie's IMO (and considering he's 25 years younger and a professional athlete, cmon, what do you expect?). Not to mention (as some of you have) that Kym has already won a couple of times and Maks, sigh.

Regarding Chelsea, it's pretty obvious that, rightly or wrongly, her fan base was MUCH lower than Hines' and Kirstie's, and the only way she could have won was to introduce another WTA twist (probably need 20 points this time). At least I'm glad that not enough people abandoned voting for Kirstie and throwing their votes to Hines to effectively shut her out of second place, as I initially feared would happen.
    Last edited by ironcat; 06-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread