+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

This DWTS seasons outcome was just as predictable as American Idol's finale was tonight. I always felt Hines would win after he performed week 1. I knew Scotty would win AI this season. It all has to do with fan bases and how big they are.

IMO Hines was not the best dancer and Scotty was not the best singer on AI this year, but their fan bases were going to vote for them to win no matter how well they did each week.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    This DWTS seasons outcome was just as predictable as American Idol's finale was tonight. I always felt Hines would win after he performed week 1. I knew Scotty would win AI this season. It all has to do with fan bases and how big they are.

IMO Hines was not the best dancer and Scotty was not the best singer on AI this year, but their fan bases were going to vote for them to win no matter how well they did each week.
    I know some people say the judges scores should count for more to try and override anyone's fanbase if it's too big for anyone else to overcome. I know not all judges vote on their respective shows, but I don't trust our judges to give anymore input. In fact, I'd like them to have less. The dance on the second night of the finale, just for judges scores, was started season 2 I guess to try and prevent another controversy surrounding Kelly Monaco's win from season 1. I think the judges have their say, they shouldn't get the chance to tilt a person's score to give them the win. I'll never believe otherwise that WTA cha cha was not designed to get one of their desired final couples (in this case, Chelsea/Mark) into the finals, because I don't believe their fanbase alone would have done it. I do believe they were likely middle of the pack all season. Ralph was shafted big time in the end. I would rather get a winner I like, even if they aren't the best dancer, than having the best dancer win and completely dislike them or find them boring. I disliked way more than I ever have, and unless he changes, I don't see that changing for me. I'd vote for a celeb if I liked them if they were paired with him, but I don't think his attitude helped Chelsea at all. I do agree with you that the finale was very predictable. For awhile, it was pretty much a repeat of previous seasons; everyone could pretty much guess who was making the finals, the only real surprise was who the third couple would be and who would end up placing third. I was expecting a Hines/Chelsea final 2 for weeks, though I did think there was a possibility Kirstie's fan base would be big enough to overcome Chelsea's. The judges-only dance last night proved what a waste of time it is. They all got perfect scores, they all got rave reviews, and who really cared at that point. They drag these shows out way too long.

I don't even watch Idol, but I knew the boy was going to win - didn't matter if the girl was Madonna.

the overscoring of Hines and the so-so scoring of Kirstie this week pionted to a Hines win. I didn't watch the results show, but after the combined scores on Monday night's show, it was clear how the judges wanted the votes to fall.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    That was Alec Mazo. John's partner's name was Charlotte (or Christine) Jorgenson? Or something like that. I don't think she has been on any season since the first. Alec came back to dance with Natalie Coughlin, and hasn't he since basically said he won't do it again? Wasn't there some issue when Edyta left about not liking the way the show treated him?
    What happened to Edyta? And Alec Mazo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't know if they pretaped the dance, but Petra was there last night, because on E! Entertainment News they showed a shot of her comforting a tearful Kirstie Alley after the show. I felt bad for Kirstie when Lacey interviewed her, because she said she'd wished she could have been better. Lacey, for her part, told her she shouldn't feel that way, because coming in second was a big deal and Maks, who looked disappointed himself, was there to console her as well. Though she didn't say so, I kind of got the feeling that Kirstie's comment about wishing she could have been better was at least partly that she felt bad for not helping Maks get that mirror ball trophy.
    Kudos to Lacey for telling Kirstie the truth, she shouldn't feel bad. I have a feeling it was pretty close between her and Hines. Both were overall good dancers (note, I didn't say great), and both were worthy IMHO.

I'm sure Maks is disappointed, but he should be happy that he can prove again and again he can take a so-so dancer (or someone who will be the butt of jokes - pre-season - Like Kirstie) and turn them into people who a. get talked about a lot in a POSITIVE way, and b. pretty dang good dancers.

Don't know if Maks would read this, but I will say that he is by far the champion in getting these dancers to top skills and does a lovely job at that. He's truly one of the champions of dance, and a pro on all levels. Save Kym, the multiple winners have had at least one ringer in their win. Kym's dance partners - Donny Osmond and Hines, were NOT ringers, and in fact Donny was expected to lose to Mya.

They also interviewed Hines, who said he'd be putting his trophy next to his Super Bowl MVP (I wasn't aware he'd won one, but I don't follow football) and Chelsea, who said she felt it was a big honor even to come in third. Mark was standing there too, but he didn't say anything. Didn't look too thrilled about Chelsea thinking third was an honor, however. They didn't talk to Kym. I'm not sure where she was. The interviews obviously took place pretty much immediately after the show, as everyone was milling about backstage, so it's possible Kym was just elsewhere when they managed to get to Hines.
    I think it was Hines' MVP that got him the gig, and it was mentioned in the teasers for the show. I do find it funny that he'd put a gaudy mirrorball trophy next to a prestigious honor such as the superbowl MVP football player. (I think that's what it looks like).

Chelsea showed us her true colors - disappointed but classy and honored she got to be third.

Mark showed his too - bitter Billy. But if you read his blog, you could almost feel that he thought he had this wrapped up, given that Kirstie and Hines are older dancers

These shows are pure entertainment. If by chance a singer on the show AI is really good, it doesn't matter if he loses.I think James has a huge career ahead of him.I said the same of Lambert.
    DWTS, I never hated Mark once.I think he did his best, just like everyone else.I did however vote for Hines, because I enjoyed him.He entertained me
    I think differently of a show like SYTYCD. I truly believe that the winners of that show have deserved it. The judges give great criticisms, which the former two shows I mentioned imho don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Kudos to Lacey for telling Kirstie the truth, she shouldn't feel bad. I have a feeling it was pretty close between her and Hines. Both were overall good dancers (note, I didn't say great), and both were worthy IMHO.
    Agreed - I think Kirstie's fan base may have been bigger and that's why they scored her lower. Her dancing was far more difficult (being in the woman's role in the dance) than Hines - and at least she attempted dancing during her FS, which Hines decided to forgo.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Don't know if Maks would read this, but I will say that he is by far the champion in getting these dancers to top skills and does a lovely job at that. He's truly one of the champions of dance, and a pro on all levels. Save Kym, the multiple winners have had at least one ringer in their win. Kym's dance partners - Donny Osmond and Hines, were NOT ringers, and in fact Donny was expected to lose to Mya.

I think Kym is class act, and a fantastic dancer.I was as pleased for her, as I was for Hines.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    Agreed - I think Kirstie's fan base may have been bigger and that's why they scored her lower. Her dancing was far more difficult (being in the woman's role in the dance) than Hines - and at least she attempted dancing during her FS, which Hines decided to forgo.
    Agree. Agree. Agree. Well said.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Any criticism of Mark in here (that I have read) has never been aimed at his talent, or his dancing ability, or even his creativity. It's all been aimed at his choices as a pro partner on the show, and how it affects his partner's scores, and the couple's image to the viewing audience.

I agree that he is an artist, as are all the pros. But in the context of the show, his job has requirements and boundaries built into it. At some point, he's going to have to make a choice to either learn how to channel his impulses in a less "precocious" way, or else find another outlet for his dances. If he is giving his all and not getting the reaction he desires, then he needs to find a different audience that might respond the way he's hoping for. But I think he's going to stay with the show, and keep running into walls, because he seems to enjoy being that person.

THERE ya go!

Well said!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread