+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I was surprised that M&C chose the Harry Potter dance -- it was one of Mark's worst offenses in terms of dancing around Chelsea and not giving her enough to do. I wasn't that impressed with it, and all the 10s from the judges made my jaw drop. But if a star doesn't have a voting fanbase, they're not going to win no matter how many 10s they get. I'm glad that Mark got splashed with that cold reality this year. He needs to grow up.
    I think they knew the writing was on the wall that they were going out at F3, so they did the dance they wanted to do, without worrying about what anyone else thought. But am I the only one who caught the hypocrisy of it - especially since he did get so slammed the first time for breaking the rules? And then last night, they get a perfect 30, including a 10 from Len? Just shows how ridiculous the judges voting and comments can be on this show sometimes.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    In dance tell that to the ghosts of Martha Graham, Fosse and Alvin Ailey.

In painting tell that to the ghosts of Van Gogh, Picasso and Pollock.

In music tell that to Phillip Glass, Paganini and The Sugar Hill gang.

In acting tell that to the ghosts of Sarah Bernhardt, Mae West and Charlie Chaplin.

In writing tell that to the ghosts of James Joyce, Arthur Miller and Byron.

All broke the rules, all were criticized for breaking the rules, all were told they had no business breaking the rules.Some faced jail time or went to jail.

No one remembers the names of their critics but everyone remembers the artists, or at least knows about them.

Without the rule breaking of thees artists we wouldn't progress in any art form.
    These artists did not break rules. They broke with convention, tradition and popular taste.

While ballroom dancing and, for example, figure skating, can be strictly entertainment when they are competitive events there have to be rules. This does not mean there can't be creativity within the rules. Competitions can be quite entertaining.

While DWTS is an entertainment program it is also a competition. Without rules those celebrities who are younger, fitter, better coordinated would have a huge advantage especially in the early rounds. Celebrities with potential would be eliminated before they had a chance to show it. That is the reason freestyle isn't allowed till the F3.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    While it may be true that not too many people knew who Chelsea was at the start of the show, the same can be said for Gilles Marini, Helio Castavedes, or Stacie Keebler, for example, in their seasons. Everyone knew who they were by the finals and had embraced their work on the show.
    True, but I don't think Helio, Gilles or Stacy were hampered by their pros, like it appears Chelsea was.
    A majority of people don't like Mark, so they transferred that to Chelsea.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    True, but I don't think Helio, Gilles or Stacy were hampered by their pros, like it appears Chelsea was.
    A majority of people don't like Mark, so they transferred that to Chelsea.
    could be but I know I either like the star or I don't and that has more of an effect on me than the pro does. Example, I LOVE Maks but just couldn't bring myself to vote for him and Brandi and I don't care for Derek, although he doesn't bug me as much as Mark does, but I voted for Jennifer ad him as she was my favorite. To me Chelsea has an ego that almost equals Marks and I would have been happy to have seen her gone weeks ago.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Any criticism of Mark in here (that I have read) has never been aimed at his talent, or his dancing ability, or even his creativity. It's all been aimed at his choices as a pro partner on the show, and how it affects his partner's scores, and the couple's image to the viewing audience.

I agree that he is an artist, as are all the pros. But in the context of the show, his job has requirements and boundaries built into it. At some point, he's going to have to make a choice to either learn how to channel his impulses in a less "precocious" way, or else find another outlet for his dances. If he is giving his all and not getting the reaction he desires, then he needs to find a different audience that might respond the way he's hoping for. But I think he's going to stay with the show, and keep running into walls, because he seems to enjoy being that person.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Congrats to Hines on his win.

I've thought for weeks he was going to win and after Kym's horrible accident, I was sure of it.
    He was a very likable contestant, too, but not the greatest dancer. So, no surprise he'd take home the trophy on a show like this.

I had no problem with Mark. He does push the envelope and I appreciate that. He did push it more than he should have, but it's too bad that so many held it against Chelsea. I thought she was sweet, talented and very likable and, yes, a much better dancer.

I give Kirstie credit. She wasn't the best, but she did work hard.

I voted for the first time, this season, on Monday night.
    I vote for whomever entertains me; not the biggest sob story, or whoever is the oldest or heaviest having to compete against younger and slimmer contestants, or whatever pro one feels "deserves" a win after all this time!! Ludicrous!!

The show is what it is - an entertainment show.
    I would have liked to see Chris, Romeo, Ralph, Sugar Ray and Petra stay in longer this season. And, why did they spend so much time last night with Kendra and Mike C.!! Could have done without each of them.

FORT Fogey

Just my humble opinion, but seems to me people voted against Mark when they should have voted for Chelsie. I was shocked that they went out at F3. However, if you look at Mark's outrageous makeup, costumes and choreography, backlash was to be expected. He was showing himself off to the detriment of his partner, which the pros should never do.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Congrats to Hines on his win.

I've thought for weeks he was going to win and after Kym's horrible accident, I was sure of it.
    He was a very likable contestant, too, but not the greatest dancer. So, no surprise he'd take home the trophy on a show like this.

I had no problem with Mark. He does push the envelope and I appreciate that. He did push it more than he should have, but it's too bad that so many held it against Chelsea. I thought she was sweet, talented and very likable and, yes, a much better dancer.

I give Kirstie credit. She wasn't the best, but she did work hard.

I voted for the first time, this season, on Monday night.
    I vote for whomever entertains me; not the biggest sob story, or whoever is the oldest or heaviest having to compete against younger and slimmer contestants, or whatever pro one feels "deserves" a win after all this time!! Ludicrous!!

The show is what it is - an entertainment show.
    I would have liked to see Chris, Romeo, Ralph, Sugar Ray and Petra stay in longer this season. And, why did they spend so much time last night with Kendra and Mike C.!! Could have done without each of them.
    We all vote for whoever "entertains us", but the thing is, we all are entertained in different ways. To each his own I guess, but why judge how others vote based on your likes and dislikes and call it ludicrous?
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

I think it's ludicrous on any reality show when the person with the biggest sob story, back story, weight loss, overcoming some obstacle, having a non popular pro dance with them, etc. is handed the win simply due to such.

Well so much for the "conspiracy" around Chelsea/Mark. Hindsight: there wasn't one there after all! (Just inconsistent scoring)

+ Reply to Thread