+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    The waltz and VW have been around and surviving quite nicely since the late 1700s. People have managed to do inventive, creative versions of them while still maintaining the basic character of the dance. DWTS couples have even managed to do that. The waltz and VW are not static or dying. Even when danced well within the rules of the form, they can look quite different when danced by different couples to different music. Personally, I'd take the waltz Petra/Dmitry did over the wizard waltz, because it was a waltz. Not a little bit of a waltz and a lot of other things, including the worm, which is hardly within the general character of the dance.

And if M/C, particularly Mark, were perceived negatively, perhaps it's because there was whining over scores most couples would have been more than happy with, swearing, flipping the bird, and challenging Len's knowledge of ballroom dance, when he's the one judge who knows the most about the rules of ballroom dance. Kendra wasn't perceived any better for her TMI remarks or talking back to the judges--even Louis, her own partner, called her out for her remarks to CA. Nor was Bruno for making a rude, sexist remark to Karina. When you behave badly, you're perceived poorly. It's as simple as that.

As for creativity, just how many hip hop freestyles have we seen from Mark now? Not exactly pushing many boundaries there. He's also certain to break out the "nerdy guy in glasses" look for at least one program per season. Beyond that, if he wants to be the big rebel and make every dance as close to a freestyle as he can manage, then he's going to have to accept the fact that he and his partner may suffer for it on a show where the stars are supposed to be learning and performing ballroom dances--and his partners are going to have to insist that he not do that if he can't rein himself in if they're concerned about their scores. Chelsea tried to stand up to him, but I just don't think she's a strong enough personality to insist on it. Or maybe she just thought it didn't matter. I have no idea what she might have been thinking.
    How many different times can we see Mark do free style? I don't know, how many times can we see people do The Waltz.
    I know how long The Waltz has been around and I know the basics of all the `classic' dances. No where in my posts did I slam any of these dances or belittle them. That would be stupid. I simply pointed out that Mark is pushing the envelope on a show that is designed to entertain-and that's what he is doing- and I'm quite sure in 300 years freestyle will be treated with as much reverence and respect as The Waltz. And someone will be breaking the `rules' of freestyle. I have respect for all types of dance and I'm not going to slam Mark or anyone else who messes around with the rules in order to create something different. I also wrote that he isn't always successful, so it's not like I'm blindly following him. I simply like and appreciate watching people create and imagine.

DWTS is not a professional dance competition, it's entertainment , If I want to watch a real dance show I can turn on PBS and watch one of their ballroom dance shows. That's when the rules matter. I can complain if the competitors don't follow the rules but aren't held accountable.

I also said art can become static if nothing changes. I did not say The Waltz is static. What if realism was the only type of painting considered acceptable? Oh we can't have Pointillism or Cubism because they break the rules of Realism. Because they aren't as old as realism. Artists take from a source and they work at creating offshoots of that original source. I see elements of the classical dance in Marks work infused with newer elements. What's wrong with that? I appreciate it. Again, this show is about entertainment it is not a pro dance competition.
    Any complaints about the rules being a mess should be directed at the judges, plain and simple.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Welp, I'm a happy girl! What did I say last night? May the best fan base win and apparently Kirstie and Hines had the biggest fan bases which helped them to the final 2. That was a wonderful surprise and is more proof that the producers did that Take All ChaCha just to get Chelsea and Mark into the finals, as their fan base certainly wasn't going to. Serves Mark right to go out at 3rd since it was obvious he should have been out at final 4. The viewers don't like being played with or such obvious ploys shoved down their throat and the backlash came back and bit Chelsea and Mark in the butt.

I do like Chelsea, I didn't see what others have said. She seems like a very nice girl, cute as a button and a good dancer. When I watched the two of them the focus was more on Mark and what I saw of Chelsea looked completely amateurish compared to him. Of course she is an amateur but his dancing completely over shadowed hers instead of highlighting the positive aspects of her dancing. Unfortunately for her, she got the wrong partner. Any other pro would have made her the focus and viewers would have seen how good she really was.

Hines and Kym it was a total pleasure watching them dance all season long. They made me smile and he is just so darn adorable. Apolo was always my favourite winner but now I don't know, it's pretty much a tie between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Actually Hines worked hard for that Ugly mirror ball and the whole time he smiled, showed class and was humble. Mark and Chelsea on the other hand not so much.

As I have been told before its not about the dance. It's about seeing the "celebrity" show growth and learn to dance. Hines & Kirstie both succeeded at that.

I can say nice things about Hines and I hate the Steelers with my whole heart,lol.
    I haven't said anything negative about HInes on a personal level. Not once. I simply said he was being used as a pawn by those who hate Mark. Again, I did not say this was America's sentiment merely the sentiment of some posters here that promised to vote for him this week no matter what.

He's a fine dancer. Like him. But imo, he is not the best.

I feel Kirstie was the real winner hands down on every single level.

I also think almost every contestant this year was likeable and enjoyable to watch.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

FORT Regular

One thing to keep in mind when considering the votes for Hines- the Steelers fan base is HUGE. Based on Twitter and Facebook posts (I'm originally from Pittsburgh) there were a lot more Steelers fans watching and voting this year than normal. These people voted from every phone and computer they could get their hands on. The city is partying right now like the Steelers won the Superbowl. I'm not saying this method of voting is right or that he necessarily deserved the votes he got but I do think the number of votes he got was more likely due to Steeler fans as opposed to Mark haters. Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I think Mark B is a great dancer and choreographer and I don't see him or the Houghs (when they were on) receiving any special treatment.

Just my opinion.

Mark didn't lose it for me - Chelsea did. She's cute and sweet and has an amazing figure and to hear the judges say it, she's a great dancer. But....for me, she was incredibly boring to watch.

Like it or not, that's a big part of ANY performance-based competition. It's not black and white and it's not based just on technical merit. There is a performance element and Chelsea's performances didn't do anything for me.

I think the final order was the right order. Hines was technically sound AND a performer I enjoyed watching. Plus, I think he took the free-style to a whole new level. After 10 seasons, that says a lot right there.

Kirstie may not be able to do flips and lifts like Chelsea, but she is a good AND entertaining dancer. I think she brought the heart and soul and spirit that this show embodies, and I, for one, like to see that kind of stuff rewarded. I'd be bummed if she won over Hines, but I'm thrilled she came in 2nd.

Chelsea definately deserved 3rd place. She did grow and was technically sound. Just dry and dull for me to watch. Having said that, I think she is adorable and could easily be the next generation of Cameron Diaz. I'll bet this does good things for her career.
    ---
    Side note...I missed Max's final remarks to Kirstie....something about the last 9 seasons and this one being special. Did anyone catch that?
    Thank you! Up until your post I have felt very alone
    I can now retire from being Marks defense attorney. The hours are too long and the reward so little in comparison. Essentially, I can now shut the heck up and get on with my life. Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    This entire thread should be called "I HATE MARK" rather than DWTS.

The hatred for Mark is so personal, as well. Post after post calling him names.

Speaking strictly for Yours Truly . . .

To each his or her own opinion.

Mark Ballas CHOSE to take part in a TV show and put himself before the public. Therefore, HE opened HIMSELF up to whatever criticisms, opinions, etc., that are leveled at him as a result of doing so.

All of us that post on this board CHOOSE to do so, and we are ALLOWED to reasonably express our criticisms, opinions, etc. of what we view --- the PERSONS and their ACTIONS that we view --- on various shows on our TV screens.

Hatred? Personal?

I don't think so.

But then again, that IS my opinion.

And I --- like everyone else --- am totally free to reasonably express it in this venue.

If I weren't, I wouldn't be here.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Good night all. See you next season--maybe--most likely. The manipulation (in my perception) by TPTB and the judges left a bad taste in my mouth. While I stopped taking ballet in high school, I still, like in figure skating, spend most of my time watching the contestant's feet. And I get frustrated when the judges point out missteps on one person and ignore it on the others.

I had been splitting votes all season with Ralph, Hines, and Kirstie. When I saw the push (again, my perception) for Mark, and after the freestyles where I felt Hines was better than Kirstie, I voted only for Hines.

So...loved watching the season with all of you. You were the best part.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Thank you! Up until your post I have felt very alone
    I can now retire from being Marks defense attorney. The hours are too long and the reward so little in comparison. Essentially, I can now shut the heck up and get on with my life. Bless you.
    Aww Redsoxgirl, it's gotta be tough to be one of a few who like a reality show contestant and it seems like everyone is against you. You wrote some very great posts and kept it very respectful. Brava to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny1229 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind when considering the votes for Hines- the Steelers fan base is HUGE. Based on Twitter and Facebook posts (I'm originally from Pittsburgh) there were a lot more Steelers fans watching and voting this year than normal. These people voted from every phone and computer they could get their hands on. The city is partying right now like the Steelers won the Superbowl. I'm not saying this method of voting is right or that he necessarily deserved the votes he got but I do think the number of votes he got was more likely due to Steeler fans as opposed to Mark haters. Just my 2 cents...
    Could be true.I just think he had a great fan base.I just dont see this as a dancing show anymore( roll on SYTYCD) I see it as a popularity contest. Not sure I will continue to watch DWTS

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny1229 View Post
    Really? That's interesting-I hadn't considered Steelers fans would be that pumped up about this show, that's amazing that they are so passionate getting him the mirror ball.

+ Reply to Thread