+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/24 Finals Part 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I'd also throw in Brooke Burke. A lot of people had her confused with Brooke Burns when it was announced she was part of the season 7 cast. Cody Linely, Nicole Scherzinger, Helio Castroneves, Cristian de la Fuente...there's quite a few people that are never heard of and become huge fan favorites. I can't say it enough, but Gilles! Squee!
    I'd pull Nicole out of that list. I hadn't heard of her, but I never cared about the Pussycat Dolls. A lot of people, however, apparently did (not that I'm saying that's the only reason she won, but once she was on the show, there were articles about how many people actually do follow the Pussycat Dolls).

Yeah, I didn't know who Brooke was before her season, and that was a very disappointing win for me. I just thought she showed zero personality while dancing. Now that I've seen her as a commentator, I realize she just doesn't have much of a public personality, period. She may be different with her family and friends, but she's blah on camera.

There are still several pros that haven't ever won and Cheryl's are starting to seem like ancient history. I hope Maks won't think it's only him and leave like Edyta sort of on a sour note ~it seemed at least. Oh well. Thanks for a great season DWTS and see you next time!

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Mark consistently outdanced and tried to out shine his partner. He needs to take his solo show on the road

So true. Chelsea knew it and Mark knew it.

Yay Hines!! I didn't think Kirstie was that good. I do have mad respect for her though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    You know, some people may have voted for Hines because they wanted him to win, not because they didn't want Mark to win. And for the record, I actually wasn't able to vote at all last night for anyone.
    I'm going by last weeks board in which various posters commited to voting for Hines this week no matter what.
    I'm sure there are some people who truly thought Hines was a better dancer and I have no beef with that. I'm commenting on the relentless beating Mark and Chelsea took last week on these threads and those who again, posted they would voted for HInes this week in order to keep Mark from winning.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Regular

I'm not too concerned with which stars are on. I just want the best dancer to win. It's too bad that that didn't happen this time. Chelsea was head and shoulders above the other two, but I guess there was too much hate for her partner.

I haven't watched DWTS for several seasons, so I don't get why everyone hates Mark ... I didn't see all the things people on here were seeing, which points to a whole lot of confirmation bias as far as I'm concerned.

Oh well.

Delighted with the outcome. It would have been better if Maks and Kirstie had won because this is probably Maks' last season and he's never won before. But, I think Hines did outdance Kirstie. I think it's time for Mark to take a break from the show.

Oh, and I have to say this out loud: for the love of all that is good.......please, please, please replace the singers on this show. Whoever sang the song Romeo and Chelsie danced to (with the mini children's choir) absolutely murdered it. My ears are still bleeding!

ETA: I didn't vote last night. I was going to let the chips fall where they may. As far as actual dancing went, I thought Chelsea and Mark's freestyle was sloppy and out of sync last night. Nothing to brag about.
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 05-24-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    There are still several pros that haven't ever won and Cheryl's are starting to seem like ancient history. I hope Maks won't think it's only him and leave like Edyta sort of on a sour note ~it seemed at least. Oh well. Thanks for a great season DWTS and see you next time!
    Every pro except Alec Mazo has won multiple times at this point, so we've actually had a small group of pros win as a result. Cheryl, Julianne, and Mark won twice, Kym twice here and once in Australia, and Derek three times. So that leaves nearly all the veterans and newbies that joined in the last few seasons trophy-less. Edyta, Alec, and Jonathan all moved on, and it makes me wonder when some of the other long time pros will decide it's not worth it and do the same. Especially if we get stunts like this season and last. Or they'll get replaced by a younger group.

Dance troupe? They seemed nice, but what a waste of time.

My favorite part of the night, besides the best final 2 since Apolo and Joey, was Chris's Bruno impression They need him back for filler segments at the very least. Kirstie really showed dancing improvement, and looks great. She's an inspiration. Loved seeing Josh Groban as well. Now comes the fun part-shifting through casting spoilers and getting all worked up over some that are too terrible to be true.

I was reminded this evening of how much I liked Petra. I thought she danced very well, especially considering her pelvis was crushed in that tsunami. She's also the closest thing to an angel on earth (OK, by the short snippets I've seen on this show and on ABC News about her charity) because of all her charity work with children around the world. Petra really impressed me. Wendy's interview with herself...did not.

I thought this was a fitting finale. Hines had the best free and final dance these past two nights - overall clean, interesting and fun.

As far as Chelsea and Mark - I was surprised they got third in the end. I think the producers realized that many of us were not upset necessarily with Mark and Chelsea but that they a. kept in a dance that was NOT NEEDED when the final four were strong dancers (i.e. the winner take all) and b. that the duo was saved because of it in spite of dancing a FREE, not a cha-cha.

Personally, the latter was my issue - Mark and Chelsea advanced by NOT doing a dance they were supposed to. The winner take all dance was a cha-cha, and the moment they put in obvious hip-hop and swing moves into it, the dance became a free because the rules flew out the door. Derek and Nicole of the "PCD" were dinged for doing less of this (they turned a quick into a broadway), but Mark and Chelsea got a free pass.

Plus, they were out of sync in their free, Chelsea barely danced, yet got a 30.

I do not like seeing people break rules and get a pass on them - in this case twice, while I see two others dance maybe slightly sloppier dances but stay within the rules. Allowing a pass on breaking the rules just ruins the fun of this competition.

Additionally IMHO the most improved were Kirstie and Hines, not Chelsea. I'm sure she's a sweetheart, but I do think Mark ruined her chances by breaking the rules and getting away with it. Had he played it cleaner I would have more respect.

Frankly - I think just tonight Jericho, Ralph, Romeo and Petra in particular outdanced Chelsea and Mark's final three dances.

In regards to Kirstie, I think she was just stunned she got at least a second. I'm sure she wanted to win, and Maks was obviously sad that she didn't win, but in the end they lost out to an overall better dancer than popularity. Hines' free was stronger out of the two, but both were enjoyable. I hope Maks doesn't give up - and was happy to hear him say that he's had 10 trophies - his partners. That shows respect for his colleagues.

I was tickled that Hines and Kym won. They earned it over the two nights, especially with their free and tonight's dance. I'm glad Hines was humble as well and thanked people.

In the end, it was IMHO an overall satisfying season. Dancers who started out rough around the edges ended up 1-2.

In my opinion, the winners were Kirstie and Maks regardless of the official ending. How many 60 years-old have made it to the finals much less also have with weight issues on top of the age? They deserved the win. Their dances were real, their relationship was encouraging to watch, and they looked like what I thought dancing with the stars should be.

Having near perfect athletes against some of the stars who refused to move a foot (or change his shoes) to having much, much older stars pitted against the vibrant moves of the youth is not a contest. The young, athletic types will always win.

The judges should vote not soooo much on the technique as to the total improvement of the stars who participate. I loved when Betty White, Florence Henderson, and yes, even Jerry Springer grew as their dancing experiences grew and that's just a few of the older folks that were impressive.

I liked Hines and Kym, but I don't believe they were the true winners. They received some (not all) sympathy votes for the near disastrous and potentially devastating Kym fall from last week. -->Side note: I'm very happy Kym made it out with minor results...she's an awesome dancer.

However, I'm very happy Mark and Chelsea came in third. I would've super thrilled at a different outcome tonight, though. Go Maks... keep at this, your day will come. Kirstie, you are a real person with whom I applaud your successes and never-say-die attitude.

+ Reply to Thread