+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748

Thread: 5/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fan

Re: 5/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Do we know for sure that these comments are not scripted?? There is no doubt that many of Paula's comments were planned for her, especially during the years when she and Simon were at each other's throats. It made for good TV.

Each of the judges on DWTS has notes in front of them -- Carrie Ann even TAKES notes -- but I'd love to get hold of their papers. My guess is there are plenty of "funnies" there for them to use.

The thing with double entendre and being risque is it's a fine line, and if you cross it, and if it's not witty either, it both falls flat and offends. Bruno could have, and should have, made his point by using less crude language, but if he wanted to try to get away with crude, he needed to make sure it was really funny. And aren't they supposed to be only critiquing how the stars dance, and not the pros anyway?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    And aren't they supposed to be only critiquing how the stars dance, and not the pros anyway?
    I have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. Certainly the teamwork aspect of the dancing is crucial to the success of the stars JUST as much as the difficulty and creativity of the choreography allows for the star to shine.

It would be nice to think that everyone is there just to watch wonderful dancing, but ratings are at stake. Bruno's comments were gross and disrespectful. His joke writer needs to clean up his act!

JMO..but I am not even sure I want to watch tonight's elimanation..I feel like all we are going to see is Ralph get screwed so they can pull out all the stops for the troll
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    JMO..but I am not even sure I want to watch tonight's elimanation..I feel like all we are going to see is Ralph get screwed so they can pull out all the stops for the troll
    Looks like you were right Butterfly...

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf! View Post
    Someone else said this upthread, but it was his intent. He fully intended his comment to be risque (I use that term very loosely - it was much more than risque). Someone else said his comment could be considered sexual harassment. Can't you just picture that vignette in those videos we watch at work on sexual harassment?

I'm being perfectly serious here. It wasn't funny. We shouldn't condone his behavior. ABC should review its policies and realize that their darling judges are only employees, after all, and as such, need to adhere to federal laws prohibiting sexual harassment in the workplace. I'm not going to comment on this anymore, but wanted to convey the seriousness of this type of behavior. C'mon folks, I realize it's entertainment, a TV show, but they have to draw the line and he needs to be reprimanded.
    I totally agree. Im not sure if it was on J. Kimmel or J. Fallon but he was bragging about the things he got away with saying on another dancing show he does for TV...it is very obvious he is trying to push boundaries by saying outrageous things and making over the top gestures (he does it every single show) and it needs to stop. I dont even watch his comments--Len is the only one with both credibility and professionalism in my opinion so he is the only judge to get any of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat View Post
    That instant cha-cha created at the last minute SPECIFICALLY to keep M/C on the show and through to the F3 is BS!!! If I were M/C, I'd be ashamed to stay, knowing I didn't earn my spot in F3. But that's me.....seems the little-man doesn't care how he gets there, just so he does. IMO, it takes the enjoyment out of watching the show when week after week, they keep in the celeb/pro that the fans clearly want gone. Best technical dancer or not, I don't enjoy watching someone dance that irritates me half to death.
    They made it seem like America's fault that great dancers (like Brandy) went home before other dancers who weren't as skilled. But what they failed to mention is the simple fact that it was entirely their fault--had the judges given fair scores in the first place then better dancers would probably have stayed --then we would have really known who America wanted and how big their bases were...AND, at the end of the day, if Bristol had been given 5s and her base was so large that they saved her then more power to them. If that happened I would say she DESERVED to stay since this is supposed to be a combination of skill and likeability (not just a pure technical competition), but since she and others were given 9s and 10s like better dancers we will never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Someone chime in if they know the answer to this. I thought that the only way a viewer's home tv could be counted for "ratings" purposes is that you are have been selected for the Neilson ratings program.

I recall that my family received a request to do this many years ago, but you had to write down what you watched and mail it in. I think now days they connect your tv to a sensor that records what you watch. Aren't they the only ones who get counted? How else would know who is watching and who isn't?

I found this.
    Nielsen ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Debb,

You are correct.
    Only Neilsen homes get counted.
    I was selected / called to do this years ago.
    My first question was - how much am I getting? They said nothing. I said no.
    Back then, you had to write down everything for a week.
    Now, they put a device in your home to record actual viewing and DVR viewing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    They made it seem like America's fault that great dancers (like Brandy) went home before other dancers who weren't as skilled. But what they failed to mention is the simple fact that it was entirely their fault--had the judges given fair scores in the first place then better dancers would probably have stayed --then we would have really known who America wanted and how big their bases were...AND, at the end of the day, if Bristol had been given 5s and her base was so large that they saved her then more power to them. If that happened I would say she DESERVED to stay since this is supposed to be a combination of skill and likeability (not just a pure technical competition), but since she and others were given 9s and 10s like better dancers we will never know!
    I think again it is only fair to point out that Bristol's fanbase was gigantic. Now whether that was fair or not is beside the point.

Those of us who watch the DialIdol - just as an indicator - can tell you that even this season there have been some situations where low judges' scores have been completely overcome by the popular fan vote - as if it is a backlash even against the judges - and that contestant stays on.

Bristol, on the otherhand, had that huge fanbase regardless of the judges' score which I think was going to kick in even if she had been given 5s.

The judges might - might could have gotten her out at F4 with the bonus 15 given to Brandi, but I wouldn't even guarantee that. I just think even more Bristol fans would have rallied.

Bristol went out at F3 when the judges finally had control of the situation exactly like I thought she would.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

+ Reply to Thread