+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 4/4 DWTS12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/4 DWTS12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

First of all I have to say that I am absolutely loving this season's more level playing field; it's the first time in ages that we really have a horse race, and there will be changes at the top of the leaderboard that are organic and not producer or judge induced.

I couldn't understand the rationale for the dance assignments pre-show, and why they gave so many couples the rumba, but I'm sure it's because the celebs each selected their music first, and then a dance was chosen by the producers to go with it, and since most of the "stories" were sad and about loss, almost everyone chose ballads, which mostly only lend themselves to rumbas. Although it was a nice idea, and gave us more personal insight into each celeb, I don't think some of the music choices fit the dance (or any ballroom or latin dance) that well. I personally want to see a sexier rumba, and with the exception of Kendra, none of the other four songs were appropriate for that IMO.

The most enjoyable performances for me were the two highest scored ones. I agree with Len that Petra's was breathtaking, and I hope it gets the encore. I suspect that she is not long for this competition, so I'm glad she got a chance to really shine. I think Hines became the front runner last night because I think he will excel at both latin and ballroom, whereas I sense that Ralph will kill at ballroom, but will struggle with "sexy", ie cha cha and samba specifically, and possibly paso. I thought his rumba was appropriately scored, because he looked no better than Chris, and there was virtually no hip action, which that dance is all about. Compared to his 2 prior performances, it was a letdown for me. OTOH, Kirstie was a trouper and better than I expected at rumba and she looked lovely in that costume; I think she would have gotten at least all 8's and maybe a 9 if not for the fall.

I feel bad for SR, and was glad the judges were kind to him; he's an icon who is not used to losing, and this experience must be humbling for him. He also seems to be a nice guy and not at all arrogant, but he just isn't on the level of most of the others. He deserves to outlast Wendy however, and I really hope he does. I am just ready for her to go; her improvement is minimal, her dancing is a snoozefest, and even her personality is coming across as either aloof or subdued at best. Not fun.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I hadn't thought about tying in the dance styles with the back stories and music, but that's a good point as to why we had so many rumbas last night. I think they could have done some more waltzes or foxtrots instead of rumbas, but at least that dance is out of the way for now. I think the encore could possibly go to Kirstie/Maks, if he's up to it, otherwise I think Petra or Hines will get it. If Petra isn't long for the show (as I suspect, just like I suspect Hines is good to the finals), they may give this one to her. Personally, I would have given it straight 8s. I did think some of the dances wound up overscored, but Wendy deserved lower than 5s, and I thought some of the early dances got overscored. It's why I wish they could revamp the scoring system.

I do hope Wendy is gone tonight, but I think it could possibly be SR. The one thing that may save him is the fact he's an icon and extremely well known. I certainly enjoy his spirit. Tom may not reveal whether tonight is a shocking boot or not, because it'd give it away that it's definitely not Wendy.

I do agree it's been a great season so far. Drama free, many surprises, not a ringer with a huge disadvantage, and everyone is on equal footing. Just like DWTS classic.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

FORT Fogey

ABC was running a clip of a news report where there's an issue with Wendy on her talk show? Why would ABC air this during DWTS? Even if she makes it past tonite's elimination, will this not hinder her popularity going forward? Or does ABC want her eliminated?

Enjoyed many of the dances last night. Once again, some were overscored and some were underscored.
    I enjoy Hines and his genuine enthusiasm on the show, but there were several misses / stumbles and Kym almost fell into the musical pit.
    Chelsea/Mark deserved at least 3 8's - if not higher. Once again, they were underscored.
    Kendra danced much better, but shows absolutely no connection to Louis. I thought it was overscored a bit, as well.
    Ralph was not as good as prior weeks, but I do think Len was overly harsh with his critique.
    I love Sugar Ray and did think he did better than he had in prior weeks.
    I really like Chris, but I don't think his dancing deserved as high score as it got. I do think, though, he conveyed the emotion well.
    I like Petra and the dance was quite lovely.
    In all the seasons I've watched Maks, I've never seen him stumble. I do agree that Kirstie is a good dancer and does appear light on he feet, but I do think the extra weight played a big part in that stumble. If you rewatch it, you see the point where she places her leg on him and then he falls.
    During the season with Erin, he took a big risk having Erin jump from above onto him and nothing happened, so, sorry to say, but I do think he did falter due to Kirstie. I do think he handled it very graciously.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    but only for an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost 1923

A metaphor of Eden and "the fall". Says so much in such a little poem. Thanks Ralph for bringing it back to get some attention and thank you Robert Frost. sniff sniff.

I am hoping that we don't have a most shocking elimination ever tonight. I really hate to see any of them go so soon. Sometimes I wish they would stay on longer and then eliminate more at one time.

FORT Fanatic

In a dance competition, I think a fall is a BIG deal. Why is everyone saying it's not? I know everyone LOVES Kirstie Alley, but a fall is a fall. Her scores should have reflected that.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25 View Post
    In a dance competition, I think a fall is a BIG deal. Why is everyone saying it's not? I know everyone LOVES Kirstie Alley, but a fall is a fall. Her scores should have reflected that.
    Because this isn't a professional competition and it isn't being scored as though it was one. If it was, we wouldn't be seeing any score higher than a 4. Ever.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    but only for an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost 1923

A metaphor of Eden and "the fall". Says so much in such a little poem. Thanks Ralph for bringing it back to get some attention and thank you Robert Frost. sniff sniff.

I am hoping that we don't have a most shocking elimination ever tonight. I really hate to see any of them go so soon. Sometimes I wish they would stay on longer and then eliminate more at one time.

Thank you for posting my favourite poem of all time! I've had this posted on my office wall for some time now.

I fondly remember Ponyboy telling Johnnycake (Ralph Macchio's character) to "stay gold....stay gold..." So touching...
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25 View Post
    I think the 7s were a reflection of her scores being dinged. Like most everyone else, I think she would have gotten at least 3 solid 8s, if not all 9s or at least one 9. I wouldn't even go as far as saying Hines deserved a 9, or Petra, but that's the TV aspect of it all.

I thought it was interesting that Maks said on GMA one of the new dancers in the dance troupe would have taken over for him if he had to step down. So I wonder if that dance troupe is going to serve more of a purpose than just be a dance troupe.

+ Reply to Thread