+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 3/21 DWTS 12 Premiere Show Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 3/21 DWTS 12 Premiere Show Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

I can't believe I'm going to eat my words, but Kirstie won me over in one episode! Actually, it's more like one segment! I was totally expecting her to be another Cloris Leachman, i.e. all jokes and no talent, but she rocked! I'm excited to see what she does this season and I hope she makes it far. I love that Maks seems to be having such a good time, especially after a disappointing season last time. Kirstie has always had an over-the-top personality and that will work in her favor. So many times we've seen actresses suddenly become shy and have trouble performing in front of an audience (hello, Jennie Garth!). Although Kirstie's laugh sometimes grates and I wasn't at all happy that she was paired with Maks, my favorite pro, I'm thrilled with her now. I hope she keeps it up and shocks everyone by winning! Plus, if she's lost this much weight already, think how much more she'll lose by the finals!

Ralph was obviously also a big surprise! I don't know that I would call him a ringer because he took dance classes 30 years ago. Yes, he may have some basic technique, but that doesn't always mean a person will have talent in a different type of dance. As for the SYTYCD comparison, there are plenty of incredibly talented dancers who audition for that show and don't make it far because they aren't good outside their own specialty.

I'll echo the "poor Tony" sentiments. I felt that way the second I heard he was paired with WW. I'm not a fan of hers and figured she'd be another "shopping cart" for Tony. Like someone else said, if he couldn't win with Melissa, he likely won't get another chance.

I've been an admirer of Petra's ever since she showed so much grace after her horrible tragedy in the tsunami. I hope she sticks around for a while and not just because of Dmitry.

For me, this show is about being surprised by people. I never would have picked Ralph and Kirstie to be the top scorers! I love that two of the oldest performers are kicking butt! I will say that I thought Kirstie deserved a 24 as well. I thought she was just as good as Ralph. Unless he improves dramatically next week, I think Mike will be the first to go.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to eat my words, but Kirstie won me over in one episode! Actually, it's more like one segment! I was totally expecting her to be another Cloris Leachman, i.e. all jokes and no talent, but she rocked! I'm excited to see what she does this season and I hope she makes it far. I love that Maks seems to be having such a good time, especially after a disappointing season last time. Kirstie has always had an over-the-top personality and that will work in her favor. So many times we've seen actresses suddenly become shy and have trouble performing in front of an audience (hello, Jennie Garth!). Although Kirstie's laugh sometimes grates and I wasn't at all happy that she was paired with Maks, my favorite pro, I'm thrilled with her now. I hope she keeps it up and shocks everyone by winning! Plus, if she's lost this much weight already, think how much more she'll lose by the finals!

Ralph was obviously also a big surprise! I don't know that I would call him a ringer because he took dance classes 30 years ago. Yes, he may have some basic technique, but that doesn't always mean a person will have talent in a different type of dance. As for the SYTYCD comparison, there are plenty of incredibly talented dancers who audition for that show and don't make it far because they aren't good outside their own specialty.

I'll echo the "poor Tony" sentiments. I felt that way the second I heard he was paired with WW. I'm not a fan of hers and figured she'd be another "shopping cart" for Tony. Like someone else said, if he couldn't win with Melissa, he likely won't get another chance.

I've been an admirer of Petra's ever since she showed so much grace after her horrible tragedy in the tsunami. I hope she sticks around for a while and not just because of Dmitry.

For me, this show is about being surprised by people. I never would have picked Ralph and Kirstie to be the top scorers! I love that two of the oldest performers are kicking butt! I will say that I thought Kirstie deserved a 24 as well. I thought she was just as good as Ralph. Unless he improves dramatically next week, I think Mike will be the first to go.
    I hesitate to call Ralph a ringer; nevertheless, I have to say that I think the years of dance lessons will work, nevertheless, to his advantage. Although he is going to have to work very hard because it has been so long, he already knows the techniques involved with posture, arms, hands, feet, toes, how to hold his waist straight and swivel his hips ( which is going to help with the Latin), etc.
    All of these techniques and more are going to aid him in learning Ballroom.
    The original poster, backed-up by the poster quoting Ralph's dance experience, indicated that Ralph had had all kinds of dance lessons. While that might not include Ballroom, per se, it possibly includes a little waltz, etc., and it most assuredly includes tap, ballet, and creative jazz.
    (I know that because I am slightly older than he, and I had all of those forms of dance through college myself.)

I don't think of Ralph in the same terms as I do some of the others (ringers) because he has not been active for so many years; however, I can not deny that dance training is there, and it is there and will come back to him. It is like riding a bicycle or playing a piano. Just because you haven't done it for many years doesn't mean that you forget the basics of how it is done. With practice, it comes back.
    (Now being out of shape is a whole different ballgame)
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    My wife and I were commenting all night long on the wart the dressmakers put on her hip. You could tell she was trying to avoid the sill thing. I'm surprised she didn't just rip it off.

I normally like looking at Brooke - with the sound muted.
    The "dress maker" in this case was Project Runway season 4 runner up Rami (sp?) Kashou
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I hesitate to call Ralph a ringer; nevertheless, I have to say that I think the years of dance lessons will work, nevertheless, to his advantage. Although he is going to have to work very hard because it has been so long, he already knows the techniques involved with posture, arms, hands, feet, toes, how to hold his waist straight and swivel his hips ( which is going to help with the Latin), etc.
    All of these techniques and more are going to aid him in learning Ballroom.
    The original poster, backed-up by the poster quoting Ralph's dance experience, indicated that Ralph had had all kinds of dance lessons. While that might not include Ballroom, per se, it possibly includes a little waltz, etc., and it most assuredly includes tap, ballet, and creative jazz.
    (I know that because I am slightly older than he, and I had all of those forms of dance through college myself.)

I don't think of Ralph in the same terms as I do some of the others (ringers) because he has not been active for so many years; however, I can not deny that dance training is there, and it is there and will come back to him. It is like riding a bicycle or playing a piano. Just because you haven't done it for many years doesn't mean that you forget the basics of how it is done. With practice, it comes back.
    (Now being out of shape is a whole different ballgame)
    Also don't want to start pushing the "Ralph is a ringer" angle, but in addition to his years of early dance lessons, he also, much more recently (2007) performed in the US tour of "How to Succeed in Business...", in the lead role, which involves quite a bit of dancing. (Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter, is reviving it on Broadway currently). I expect he will excel at all the ballroom dances. I do wonder how well he will do in the sexy latin ones.

I think after this initial showing, Ralph's and Kirstie's popularity and the excitement their performances have generated in viewers, may very well carry them both all the way to the finals, barring injury or health issues impeding their progress (I am still nervous about Kirstie pushing herself too hard). Have to say that if they are the final 2, it will make for one of the most interesting face-offs (and board debates) the show has ever had for sooo many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules View Post
    The "dress maker" in this case was Project Runway season 4 runner up Rami (sp?) Kashou
    I thought the 'thing' stuck on the side of her dress was so she could rest her arm as she holds the microphone. That microphone must get pretty heavy as she has to ask the dumb ?scripted questions "It looks like you were pretty emotional - how does that make you feel?" (question to Petra); plus Brooke is not good at ad libing to the contestant's replies. I wish one of the contestants would reply how they really feel about the dumb question, then watch Brooke stammer or scramble to say let's get the judges scores. To my mind they could do away with the whole chat scenario as the judges know what the score will be even before the contestants stand before them (Kari Ann hands off to someone as the contestants place themselves in front of the judges). No offence to Brooke but she is just an attractive filler that the producers dress up and feed dumb scripted questions to. She does not seem to show emotion and sucks at ad libbing. I like someone's comment earlier, I can look at Brooke with the 'mute' on.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    Also don't want to start pushing the "Ralph is a ringer" angle, but in addition to his years of early dance lessons, he also, much more recently (2007) performed in the US tour of "How to Succeed in Business...", in the lead role, which involves quite a bit of dancing. (Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter, is reviving it on Broadway currently). I expect he will excel at all the ballroom dances. I do wonder how well he will do in the sexy latin ones.

I think after this initial showing, Ralph's and Kirstie's popularity and the excitement their performances have generated in viewers, may very well carry them both all the way to the finals, barring injury or health issues impeding their progress (I am still nervous about Kirstie pushing herself too hard). Have to say that if they are the final 2, it will make for one of the most interesting face-offs (and board debates) the show has ever had for sooo many reasons.
    Not to mention the finale will soar the ratings through the roof!!!!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by proudnewf View Post
    I thought the 'thing' stuck on the side of her dress was so she could rest her arm as she holds the microphone. That microphone must get pretty heavy as she has to ask the dumb ?scripted questions "It looks like you were pretty emotional - how does that make you feel?" (question to Petra); plus Brooke is not good at ad libing to the contestant's replies. I wish one of the contestants would reply how they really feel about the dumb question, then watch Brooke stammer or scramble to say let's get the judges scores. To my mind they could do away with the whole chat scenario as the judges know what the score will be even before the contestants stand before them (Kari Ann hands off to someone as the contestants place themselves in front of the judges). No offence to Brooke but she is just an attractive filler that the producers dress up and feed dumb scripted questions to. She does not seem to show emotion and sucks at ad libbing. I like someone's comment earlier, I can look at Brooke with the 'mute' on.
    ya'll must be talking about Brooke's dress..that was the first thing I said when the show came on...it looked like the designer made a hat to go with the dress and it didn't work so he stuck it on the dress instead...sorry it was awful
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Re: *Dancing With the Stars Season 12 (Spring) Spoilers & Speculation*

Does anybody know if the President's speach is going to interrupt DWTS? Or are they going to do abbreviated show?
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

The speech is supposed to start at 7:30pm ET, so I guess the intention is not to delay any prime-time shows. Hopefully the ABC anchors won't talk for too long after the President is done.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

That is good news. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread